Curzon Ashton

45 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Nuttall getting hammered again. How many did Reid score today and how many did he miss?

Put one òn a plate for Fondop and was a constant threat, not sure we've even scored a goal with Nuttall on the pitch pre season which is some stat given our three opponents ply their trade at lower levels.

Not like you to defend the indefensible though is it, ever the apologist.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Sutton, Couto did okay of the subs, rest did little.

Fondop has to start for me and you can't play him and Nuttall together as we are too easy to play against with them two up there, only when Willoughby come on did we give Curzon something to think about, you can see Unsworth on the bench willing Nuttall to do something but he's a donk and doesn't have it him in. He's going to have to swallow his pride with him and for the good of the team admit he got it wrong. He's right down the pecking order for me and doesn't look like he's got a goal in him.

Hobson did okay but he looks lost out on the touchline, he wasn't tested defensively today at all but he does look comfortable on the ball, still think he is our best centre half and hope we ain't going to ruin the lad playing him out there.

Remind me who played up front when we had our highest scoring game last season?

Fondop and Nuttall

You can play them together but it isn't wise to play them together every game.

9 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Nuttall getting hammered again. How many did Reid score today and how many did he miss?

Unless he gets his shit together and soon,

His time and opportunities are going to be very limited with 3 preferred over him.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steve_R said:

Obviously. A good work out today though. I’ve no idea how good Curzon are but it’s another game in the payers legs and they’re looking sharper, which is  all pre season is about 

As pre season friendlies go it was a decent match. We’ve looked fitter and sharper the more matches we have played.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Unless he gets his shit together and soon,

His time and opportunities are going to be very limited with 3 preferred over him.

And if those 3 are playing well, scoring and we’re winning ultimately does it matter to us? 

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Put one òn a plate for Fondop and was a constant threat, not sure we've even scored a goal with Nuttall on the pitch pre season which is some stat given our three opponents ply their trade at lower levels.

Not like you to defend the indefensible though is it, ever the apologist.

I like reid. I have no idea why he doesn't get the same stick. He misses glorious chances last season. His first touch was abysmal at times. Yet nothing. It can only be he runs round more. 

These are national league players so they aren't gonna be perfect. Just don't know why Nuttall gets the stick he does

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

I was at the match and I don't think any of the comments above about Nuttall are harsh. He definitely looks way of the pace for me as he did for much of last season to be fair.

Yes, Nuttall had several good chances to score but hopefully he sharpens up in the coming games. Fondop linked up nicely with Reid I thought. Not really seen enough of Willoughby but I’m sure he will do a job although it might just be me but is he carrying a bit of weight ? 
overall we looked ok and for once everyone seemed to know where everyone else was. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen any of the friendlies but Nuttall hasn't become a bad player over the pre-season.

Form is temporary, sounds like he's out of form. Perhaps it's just taking him longer to find form and fitness than some of the other lads?

Give him a chance, great thing with this squad is we have options 

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Let's see how many they score for us eh. Fondop first choice. Other spots open

If Willoughby performs to anywhere near his previous potential, I'd go even further and say that Nuttall won't get a look in but that's just stating the obvious.

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I like reid. I have no idea why he doesn't get the same stick. He misses glorious chances last season. His first touch was abysmal at times. Yet nothing. It can only be he runs round more. 

These are national league players so they aren't gonna be perfect. Just don't know why Nuttall gets the stick he does

For starters we payed a fee for him and he's on League 1 wages so I'd expect a little more, don't confuse peoples opinions with a player getting stick he is pretty well supported on the pitch he just gets ripped to shit on here and Twatter, what does Unsworth and yourself see what the rest of us can't then as he's had more chances than anyone in that squad due to be Unsworths marquee signing.

• Like 1

If you look at Fondops career I don't think he's ever played more than 30 games in a season. Maybe because of that big frame I don't know but he's struggled with injuries it's probably stopped him playing at a higher level. So we might have to see him rotated this season to get the best out of him. So don't be surprised to see him used more from the bench this season. 

53 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

I haven't seen any of the friendlies but Nuttall hasn't become a bad player over the pre-season.

Form is temporary, sounds like he's out of form. Perhaps it's just taking him longer to find form and fitness than some of the other lads?

Give him a chance, great thing with this squad is we have options 

He was a bad player last season, I'd hoped he'd come back firing as Fondop and Reid have but he's miles behind.

• Like 1

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

If you look at Fondops career I don't think he's ever played more than 30 games in a season. Maybe because of that big frame I don't know but he's struggled with injuries it's probably stopped him playing at a higher level. So we might have to see him rotated this season to get the best out of him. So don't be surprised to see him used more from the bench this season. 

Yes stick your best player on the bench 👏👏👏

12 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

If Willoughby performs to anywhere near his previous potential, I'd go even further and say that Nuttall won't get a look in but that's just stating the obvious.

Forshaw desperate for a chance as well. Interested to see how he does on loan and if he keeps bagging will he get games

The thing with Nuttall for me is that he doesn’t really look up for it. Maybe that’s his style? I often hear Latics fans slagging players off for just running around a lot. That’s actually a really important attribute! Down to Unsworth to get the best out of him, as there’s a talented lad in there somewhere.

Nuttall scored 16 goals last year for a Scunthorpe side who got relegated and for us. The turn around in form followed shortly after his arrival and I have no doubt he contributed to that. People need to get off his back and maybe chill out that Fondop has scored some goals against NLN sides. 
Nuttall may very well start the season on the bench, but let’s see how the season pans out. 

• Like 2

I’ve said this before but I find it hard to believe that a team set up to be athletic and hard running, that is recruiting players accordingly, will play a “lazy” player so regularly. 

So rather than take the view of those in the stands on what is and what isn’t laziness, I’ll accept the view of the coaches who are analysing his stats and whether he’s contributing to the team in the way they’re asking or expecting him to. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

I’ve said this before but I find it hard to believe that a team set up to be athletic and hard running, that is recruiting players accordingly, will play a “lazy” player so regularly. 

So rather than take the view of those in the stands on what is and what isn’t laziness, I’ll accept the view of the coaches who are analysing his stats and whether he’s contributing to the team in the way they’re asking or expecting him to. 

It seems every game, no matter what happened in it, ends up in a Nuttall’s shit/No he isn’t debate.