Mansfield

On 7/30/2023 at 12:50 PM, BP1960 said:

I saw a promising opening period where we could have scored a couple of goals, but after that they sussed out our weakness wide right, our 2 defensive midfielders who constantly backed off, and shackled the strikeforce easily.

The team shape looked dysfunctional and I don't think the players enjoyed or adapted to it well.

Having said that Mansfield were a cut above and look a good bet for promotion themselves.

Right back, an attacking cental midfielder who directly runs with the ball and a left winger playing a 442 could make a big difference in my opinion, but doubt DU will change his set up much and performances and results like the back end of last season will  probably reflect that.

Dynamic football as the manger suggested in his interview won't be forthcoming I'm afraid with these players and tactics, but if promotion happens I guess few will care.

what formation did we play

5 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Probably both. James Berry from Macc turned us down because we don’t play enough football, Unsworths reputation In the game isn’t great.

I remember the football Wealdstone who have very limited resources played against us at the start of last season, we’ve not and won’t come close to that.

Fact or rumour?

17 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

We all hope that we're wrong but that uncertainty still lingers large in the background and isn't going away anytime soon.

Heaven forbid, it all goes tits up, I wonder if those with an opposite view will hold up theirs?

100% but not just bc we lose a couple.

3 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Think we’re going to just get by because we’re now so well resourced but I’d surmise 20 of the managers in this league would do better with the resources Unsworth has at his disposal..

Unsworth would be screwed without money and shown up for the fraud he is

Two opinions based on… what exactly?

The first one simply cannot be proved/disproved so your quite safe with that one.

The second one … well I’d surmise 20 of the managers in this league would be screwed without money also…

The one thing I do get from your post is that you believe Unsworth to be a fraud…. but in a subsequent post, you still add the requisite:

Of course I hope I’m wrong and I’ll be the first to hold my hands up if so 

That about covers it I suppose 

👍

10 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Fact or rumour?

depends on how you digest information from strangers!! you don't know him so his 'fact' may not meet your standards.

lve heard the story and it's true, but as OWTB's resident Rhino cheerleader l'm pretending it isn't.

59 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

What would Unsworth have to do to prove you wrong?

That's a genuine question by the way, not a dig or anything. I'm just curious for someone who seemingly has very little faith in him, what would you like to see him do/achieve this season so you would think you were wrong about him.

That’s a great question.

My personal preference would be for us to play nice football and be able to keep the ball but Unsworth has said that’s not his style so there’s probably some unconscious bias there.

But I’d have to say, serving up a style of football that has an identity that we can see week in week out. That isn’t playing deep and midfielders dropping off.

Attempting to be on the front foot and the defence playing higher up the pitch with midfielders pressing.

Also a right back that is comfortable on the ball so we don’t become one dimensional relying on Kitching down the left.

Anything less than the playoffs will be a failure, it just wouldn’t much tweaking to win this league.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Two opinions based on… what exactly?

The first one simply cannot be proved/disproved so your quite safe with that one.

The second one … well I’d surmise 20 of the managers in this league would be screwed without money also…

The one thing I do get from your post is that you believe Unsworth to be a fraud…. but in a subsequent post, you still add the requisite:

Of course I hope I’m wrong and I’ll be the first to hold my hands up if so 

That about covers it I suppose 

👍

If Unsworth had had to work with the same squad that Shez did his results wouldn’t have been anywhere near as good.

To have at worst the second best budget in the league behind Chesterfield and not have an aim to dominate games.

I’m sticking my head above the parapet and saying I really don’t rate him.

I think he’ll underachieve given what he has at his disposal but keep his job because of Darren Royle and Franks wish for continuity.

A forum is all about opinion and I’m stating mine.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Though good enough to have many other players signing?  Or is it solely down to avarice, wages overcoming principles? 

I’d say the extra wages, local players relocating back to the north west and the chance to play for a ‘big club’ in front of a ‘big crowd’ was the swing for those we’ve signed so far. 

Unsworth failed with Everton’s youth team and their fans don’t want him anywhere near their club. We will never get a player on loan from there whilst he’s manager.

39 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Probably both. James Berry from Macc turned us down because we don’t play enough football, Unsworths reputation In the game isn’t great.

I remember the football Wealdstone who have very limited resources played against us at the start of last season, we’ve not and won’t come close to that.

But he's still managed to sign some good players. He still managed to do really well after new year

Good football is great but I'd rather win any way we can. 

17 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Anything less than the playoffs will be a failure, it just wouldn’t much tweaking to win this league.

have to agree.

L14E's over riding narrative is 'Rhinoball- you have to win' which is diamond clad in its truth based on last season, l've still got hope that system has gone.

he has pretty much said that is the case so lets see..

10 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Unsworth failed with Everton’s youth team 

That would depend on what his objective was. He won 2 titles didn't he? Would be happy to see him fail that badly with us!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

A forum is all about opinion and I’m stating mine.

Totally agree 👍

You have, as we all do, the right to an opinion, even if it is based on something that cannot be proved/disproved.

I suppose Unsworth can join Nuttall in the ‘F’ for fraud file that some seem eager to point out … whilst of course hoping that they’re wrong! 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

That would depend on what his objective was. He won 2 titles didn't he? Would be happy to see him fail that badly with us!

excellent!!!!

must say the structure and conduct of this whole debate is probably why they invented this whole website in the first place 😳

3 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Totally agree 👍

You have, as we all do, the right to an opinion, even if it is based on something that cannot be proved/disproved.

I suppose Unsworth can join Nuttall in the ‘F’ for fraud file that some seem eager to point out … whilst of course hoping that they’re wrong! 😉

FWIW if youre willing to trust two strangers on the internet, the Berry story is accurate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Totally agree 👍

It’s the joy of football 👍🏻

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Fact or 

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Fact or rumour?

Since I'm the one who recommended James Berry to the club its the same disappointment as when we didn't land Ryan Colclough.

I liked the look of the tenacious 19yo Leicester City right back Joe Wormleighton, but I believe we require someone permanent rather than a loanee.

Edited by BP1960

On 7/30/2023 at 3:08 PM, LightDN123 said:

The balance of the squad is off and we are starting the season that way. 

We're very short in defence. 

Hobson, Raglan, Hogan/Sutton/McGahey might be a quite strong starting 3 but one or more of them getting injured or out of form and we're very, very light and have no option to go to a 4 or 5 with fullbacks.

Kitching is OK at LB or LWB but, again, who steps in if he's injured/suspended/playing badly?

Right side is non-existent defensively and Green and Kitching are totally different players at Wingback.

It's bizarre that Shelton hasn't been tried at fullback or right mid.

I'm no fan but surely he'd offer at least an iota of solidity that Green can't?

I don't see it with Lundstram like some of you do but it looked like he'd be the first name down to start in midfield then as soon as he's injured we're back to Sheron & Shelton who were integral to our poor season last season (Sheron did improve late on to be fair). Again, we're massively short in centre mid and massively inexperienced even with everyone fit.

Although a fit Gardner would be a boost he's no calming old head that a player of his age & career could be.

There must be a Chris McCann circa 2020 or two out there?  

Upfront we look alright and have options but, that said, none of them is reliable either as a goalscorer or in staying on the pitch in Big Mike's case. 

And he seems reluctant to use Willoughby who should be a reliable goalscorer and who we're told by Chester fans needs to play all the time to be so.

Is this really being "backed to the hilt" or words to that effect that I keep reading? 

I've also seen "he's got no excuses this season" bandied about a lot - he very much might have if none of the above is addressed. 

Happy Monday 😃👍

Edited by HarryBosch
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

I’d say the extra wages, local players relocating back to the north west and the chance to play for a ‘big club’ in front of a ‘big crowd’ was the swing for those we’ve signed so far. 

Has he made sure that his signings can all play in front of big crowds this season? 

Remember that one? 😃

Edited by HarryBosch