Mansfield

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Friendlies don't count and all that, but has he really signed a competent Conference centre back and played him at full back all summer...?

Also did the same last season with Sutton, who now appears to be out of favour in any position.

If not careful we will lose Sutton to a club in a higher league as happened with Harry Vaughan.

Edited by BP1960

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

did you have that typed up already 😉

was it defo 442 yeah? thats massively unimaginative and so is the lack of game time for Reid, Willoughby, Sutton.

Agreed, but with amount of running Green was asked to do in role he's not suited to, it was no surprise he faded in the 2nd half.

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

Only 3 of the new signings in that team today. We desperately need 2 or 3 more!

And one of them never a sniff of starting a game even in matches against clubs in lower leagues than ours. What is DU thinking of?

40 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Friendlies don't count and all that, but has he really signed a competent Conference centre back and played him at full back all summer...?

Don't know about any other games, but he was part of 3 at the back today

Lots of copium being inhaled as per on here.

I’ve got our fate correct for at least the last five seasons, despite the screeching and abuse from the constant sympathisers.

We’ll probably make the play-offs this season. Even if Unsworth ends up crashing the early months into a hillside (likely)

The club, and fan base don’t have the minerals to stage a successful play off campaign.

We leave this division when we win it next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

we havent managed 4 strikers well in pre season or attempted to utilise any different ways of using a differing variation of combinations

Agree. This is what worries me.Today was a friendly so why not get the subs on?He knows how Fondop and Nuttall play or at least he should by now.Why not play whilloughby.I think today he played what he believes is his best team bar absence of lundstram and it ain't good enough. We need a R.B. leftwing and another C.M  Why is Tollitt not featuring? I think D.U is arrogant and don't rate him as a manager. Surely he could have put more subs on. Result didn't matter today but try different players and for gods sake play midfielders in midfield and not on the wing.Yet again DU shows blind loyalty to some and utter contempt to others.Why sign Willoughby and then not play him? Thought he showed some good touches today and I think with a decent midfield he could impress but yet again we may never know.Will he get a chance?

If this team loses to Southend Questions should be asked.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Only 3 of the new signings in that team today. We desperately need 2 or 3 more!

Only 3?  We've signed 5 new players, 3 of them played, 1 was on the bench (and came on) and 1 is injured.  I agree we could probably do with the 2 or 3 signings DU says are incoming.

11 minutes ago, Simpo said:

No he wasn't he played rightback as he has all pre season barring the 1st half at Chorley, he's our best centre back yet is being asked to play in a role that really exposes him particularly if you're going to ask Green to tuck in and support him.

It's poor that we are just collecting players rather than buying specific players for specific positions, Willoughby and Hobson will be ruined before they get started, Sutton has been dropped like a bomb and will no doubt be looking to get away now given his treatment.

On a serious note many of the problems we had at the back end of last season still exist and watching that today was a little worrying.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Agree. This is what worries me.Today was a friendly so why not get the subs on?He knows how Fondop and Nuttall play or at least he should by now.Why not play whilloughby.I think today he played what he believes is his best team bar absence of lundstram and it ain't good enough. We need a R.B. leftwing and another C.M  Why is Tollitt not featuring? I think D.U is arrogant and don't rate him as a manager. Surely he could have put more subs on. Result didn't matter today but try different players and for gods sake play midfielders in midfield and not on the wing.Yet again DU shows blind loyalty to some and utter contempt to others.Why sign Willoughby and then not play him? Thought he showed some good touches today and I think with a decent midfield he could impress but yet again we may never know.Will he get a chance?

If this team loses to Southend Questions should be asked.

l agree with nearly all this but not sure about the last part, so l don't want to comit without knowing what the questions are

3 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l agree with nearly all this but not sure about the last part, so l don't want to comit without knowing what the questions are

Question is why don't you resign? DU wants fast attacking football, he said,so what was that today?

You could argue that we moved into a 4 at the back when Mansfield came into the final third with Kitching tracking back, but it was very much a 3 at the back system in the main.

Hogan played central and was tasked with mopping up any high long balls, and Hobson and Raglan played either side, Hobson clearly not advancing forward as a RB would.

He drifted towards the right at some points, to cover for Green who would be exposed if he was asked to defend too much, so I can see why some were caught out.

(edit: thought I'd challenge what I thought I saw and asked my dad, he messaged back saying pretty much what I did, but with the amount Mansfield had the ball at the start of the second half it might as well have been a 4)

Edited by Simpo

37 minutes ago, Simpo said:

I don't think he, his teammates or fans knew where he was playing, which is a bit of a concern.

Edited by BP1960

50 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

No he wasn't he played rightback as he has all pre season barring the 1st half at Chorley, he's our best centre back yet is being asked to play in a role that really exposes him particularly if you're going to ask Green to tuck in and support him.

It's poor that we are just collecting players rather than buying specific players for specific positions, Willoughby and Hobson will be ruined before they get started, Sutton has been dropped like a bomb and will no doubt be looking to get away now given his treatment.

On a serious note many of the problems we had at the back end of last season still exist and watching that today was a little worrying.

If Green was being asked to tuck in and support, then that would make him a RWB...

2 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

If Green was being asked to tuck in and support, then that would make him a RWB...

Fucking hell this is hard work, no that doesn't make him a wing back it makes him a winger with defensive responsibilities out of possession which is pretty standard in a 4-4-2, does that mean we played Ward as a LWB, no of course it doesn't.

We played a pretty rigid 4-4-2 and the two central midfielders again played on the toes of the centrehalfs so we again ended up sitting further and further back as the game went on with nobody capable of putting their foot on the ball or driving us forward.

He hasn't played a 3-5-2 because we just don't have the players for it other than three solid centrehalves, neither Green or Kitching could play as wing backs particularly Green who is defensively poor.

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Fucking hell this is hard work, no that doesn't make him a wing back it makes him a winger with defensive responsibilities out of possession which is pretty standard in a 4-4-2, does that mean we played Ward as a LWB, no of course it doesn't.

We played a pretty rigid 4-4-2 and the two central midfielders again played on the toes of the centrehalfs so we again ended up sitting further and further back as the game went on with nobody capable of putting their foot on the ball or driving us forward.

He hasn't played a 3-5-2 because we just don't have the players for it other than three solid centrehalves, neither Green or Kitching could play as wing backs particularly Green who is defensively poor.

Thanks for explaining! Think I want you for our manager.Perhaps you should ring up D.U!

13 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Certainly not the 442 of Big Joe's days though of 2 full backs and 2 wingers.

41 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

No, Kitching was LWB

Not that rigid a 442 when Kitching is in tho oppo box and whipping crosses in