Mansfield

13 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Gateshead compilation shows him playing mainly wide right, cutting in onto his left foot. Slightly reminds me of another Ward (Mark), who was a fantastic player for us.

Still need another quality wide play, quality CM and, of course, a RB. We've got a solid squad, we just need to up the quality in those areas. Three really good signings should push us up another level. Would like to see more of Willoughby. Please use him or Reid playing off one of the two big lumps  - don't play both lumps. 

Rhino's told us 3 will be incoming, so fingers crossed. Don't forget, there is no window closing at the end of August. Also, a lot of clubs loan out their youngsters fairly late on.

It is surprising we haven’t signed a right back, as it was glaringly obvious all last season that we needed one. In a recent interview Unsworth didn’t seem overly concerned about it, saying he was more than happy to play Sutton there, then not doing so.

I do agree that we need to sign the right one, not just plug the gap with somehow has played there, and as there is no transfer window we can take our time. With the season almost upon us  though we’ll have to pay good money to get one in now, and if our target starts the season well that fee will only increase.

4 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

did you go? how does that report line up with what you saw? and what formation was it?

at the moment on here reminds me of reading reports of the same incident reported by the Instistute for the Study of War and TASS 

(which l actually do most mornings 🙄)

I saw a promising opening period where we could have scored a couple of goals, but after that they sussed out our weakness wide right, our 2 defensive midfielders who constantly backed off, and shackled the strikeforce easily.

The team shape looked dysfunctional and I don't think the players enjoyed or adapted to it well.

Having said that Mansfield were a cut above and look a good bet for promotion themselves.

Right back, an attacking cental midfielder who directly runs with the ball and a left winger playing a 442 could make a big difference in my opinion, but doubt DU will change his set up much and performances and results like the back end of last season will  probably reflect that.

Dynamic football as the manger suggested in his interview won't be forthcoming I'm afraid with these players and tactics, but if promotion happens I guess few will care.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What worries me is the head of recruitment is now the first team coach, given the glaring holes in the squad and this fascination with signing multiple players for the same positions is it any wonder we look disjointed.

There also looked a distinct lack of interest from the bench yesterday to sort it out, now I know it was a meaningless pre season friendly but Unsworth looked almost Altrinchamesque and sat there like a mannequin the majority of the game, we just continued to play in exactly the same way despite getting battered, why didn't he take a strikers off and stick Willoughby on upfront on his own and introduce Gardner who could at least put his foot on the ball in Lundstrums absence, anyone in the ground could see the midfield were overran with Sheron and Shelton retreating further and further back each passing minute.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

If this is the reaction to a friendly, then  if we lose next week, it will be apocalyptic. 😂

Just watch next week, scene already set, Southend cobbled together team, backs to the wall, survival at stake , we go with our new improved team , high expectations…. Shrimpers win it. 

Although, I actually think we are going to win 

FFS we will sign a right back!!

We just need to make sure it's one on our terms and is the right fit for the club.

Im happy to trust in the process and get the right player for us by the end of August. Not having this player for the first few games isn't going to make or break our season.

For all those moaning.... read back in the thread you know who you are.....just wait until a a meaningful ball has been kicked this season and take a breath before kicking off.

I for one am looking forward not backwards.

nuffsed.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

If this is the reaction to a friendly, then  if we lose next week, it will be apocalyptic. 😂

I think we've got any easy start particularly the Southend and Aldershot games, you'd like to think we've enough to win those two regardless of how the squad stands, if we get embarrassed in either of those two games it could get a bit lively, there is a difference between debate on here and those who already choosing to boo our own players off though, that's just moronic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

FFS we will sign a right back!!

We just need to make sure it's one on our terms and is the right fit for the club.

Im happy to trust in the process and get the right player for us by the end of August. Not having this player for the first few games isn't going to make or break our season.

For all those moaning.... read back in the thread you know who you are.....just wait until a a meaningful ball has been kicked this season and take a breath before kicking off.

I for one am looking forward not backwards.

nuffsed.

I think people are puzzled why we haven't signed a right back. It can’t be that hard for our level given the recruitment structure we have in place ? Given it’s been an issue for 12 months it makes sense why people are a bit puzzled on this. 

I also disagree that not having one will not make a difference to our season. We could miss out on playoffs by 3 points which could have been earned if we had a competent right back. The balance of the squad is off and we are starting the season that way. 

• Like 1

I didn't plan to go to any preseason games but at home with the new pitch changed my mind.

Their first two goals came from our errors (Ward dived in and a poor clearance by Hobson) whereas we made five good chances and couldn't finish them - true National league strikers.  Hobson was playing right back without the pace to get forward.  Raglan good and Ward OK.

In essence the only thing new was Ward as Yarney played as well as Raglan at CB and Sutton as well as Hobson at RB.  We should make the top 7 but it isn't going to be pretty and the top spot is beyond that squad and our manager.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, old codger said:

I didn't plan to go to any preseason games but at home with the new pitch changed my mind.

Their first two goals came from our errors (Ward dived in and a poor clearance by Hobson) whereas we made five good chances and couldn't finish them - true National league strikers.  Hobson was playing right back without the pace to get forward.  Raglan good and Ward OK.

In essence the only thing new was Ward as Yarney played as well as Raglan at CB and Sutton as well as Hobson at RB.  We should make the top 7 but it isn't going to be pretty and the top spot is beyond that squad and our manager.

You’ve got a 23 in 24 chance of being right. Even so, I’ll wait and see how other teams actually perform on grass before writing us off 

1 hour ago, old codger said:

Ward didn't really dive in. The guy got a massively lucky bounce after Ward tackled. 99/100 that ball goes elsewhere

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

What worries me is the head of recruitment is now the first team coach, given the glaring holes in the squad and this fascination with signing multiple players for the same positions is it any wonder we look disjointed.

There also looked a distinct lack of interest from the bench yesterday to sort it out, now I know it was a meaningless pre season friendly but Unsworth looked almost Altrinchamesque and sat there like a mannequin the majority of the game, we just continued to play in exactly the same way despite getting battered, why didn't he take a strikers off and stick Willoughby on upfront on his own and introduce Gardner who could at least put his foot on the ball in Lundstrums absence, anyone in the ground could see the midfield were overran with Sheron and Shelton retreating further and further back each passing minute.

In fairness DU was on the touchline for a lot of the first half and shouting a lot which I could see and hear from the Main Stand. The second half I didn't see or hear anyone in the technical area which I thought was rather strange.........

Think we’re going to just get by because we’re now so well resourced but I’d surmise 20 of the managers in this league would do better with the resources Unsworth has at his disposal.

Lundstram is the type of player who can be down in his own corner flag and then in the blink of an eye be in the opposition box. He’s better in a 2 and would work great with a Gardner from the Byrne/Fane days but not the one of today.

Sheron has proved he isn’t good enough for a side with promotion aspirations and Shelton was having to play right back for Hartlepool as he couldn’t shift Mo Sylla from Hartlepools midfield.

The only explanation for not having a right back signed is that he is waiting for the football league transfer window to close so he can take someone who is out of favour.

Unsworth would be screwed without money and shown up for the fraud he is

• Like 1

1 hour ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Think we’re going to just get by because we’re now so well resourced but I’d surmise 20 of the managers in this league would do better with the resources Unsworth has at his disposal.

Lundstram is the type of player who can be down in his own corner flag and then in the blink of an eye be in the opposition box. He’s better in a 2 and would work great with a Gardner from the Byrne/Fane days but not the one of today.

Sheron has proved he isn’t good enough for a side with promotion aspirations and Shelton was having to play right back for Hartlepool as he couldn’t shift Mo Sylla from Hartlepools midfield.

The only explanation for not having a right back signed is that he is waiting for the football league transfer window to close so he can take someone who is out of favour.

Whilst I share to a large extent your opinion I will give the manager  until the end of October to prove he can give us a chance of promotion with his team.

• Like 2

With the greatest respect we don’t know that. There’s every chance we’re pursuing one or two targets and it’s just taking longer than we’d want with negotiations/agents offering them around before the season starts.

Apart from that you’re a big fan yeah? 😉

To be fair, if you listen to some, that money was spent on rubbish that should’ve been moved on, so something obviously went right in the second half of the season. Let’s see where we are come Christmas.

41 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Whilst I share to a large extent your opinion I will give the manager  until the end of October to prove he can give us a chance of promotion with his team.

That’s fair enough, I’m just sticking my neck out and saying how I see it. I hope he does well I just can’t see it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Lol. Big claims there. 20 managers in this division would do better with the resources? You mean sign better players or perform better?

16 minutes ago, ShireBlue said:

With the greatest respect we don’t know that. There’s every chance we’re pursuing one or two targets and it’s just taking longer than we’d want with negotiations/agents offering them around before the season starts.

Apart from that you’re a big fan yeah? 😉

To be fair, if you listen to some, that money was spent on rubbish that should’ve been moved on, so something obviously went right in the second half of the season. Let’s see where we are come Christmas.

You could be right but given we signed Southend, Altrincham and Gatesheads best players you’d want to  think the Halifax right back or the one who was on loan at Barnet would have jumped at the chance to come to us.

unsworth is saying he’s being offered players from the higher leagues which is why I think and hope he could be waiting for the window to close.

I think people have forgotten that in the second half of the season, despite results being largely positive, a lot of those games we were second best in and didn’t necessarily deserve the wins. Whilst it’s good to win ugly etc it isn’t sustainable long term and I just don’t see us cultivating a style of play we could be known for and that’s what I think is needed to really progress. 

Of course I hope I’m wrong and I’ll be the first to hold my hands up if so 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

You could be right but given we signed Southend, Altrincham and Gatesheads best players you’d want to  think the Halifax right back or the one who was on loan at Barnet would have jumped at the chance to come to us.

unsworth is saying he’s being offered players from the higher leagues which is why I think and hope he could be waiting for the window to close.

I think people have forgotten that in the second half of the season, despite results being largely positive, a lot of those games we were second best in and didn’t necessarily deserve the wins. Whilst it’s good to win ugly etc it isn’t sustainable long term and I just don’t see us cultivating a style of play we could be known for and that’s what I think is needed to really progress. 

What would Unsworth have to do to prove you wrong?

That's a genuine question by the way, not a dig or anything. I'm just curious for someone who seemingly has very little faith in him, what would you like to see him do/achieve this season so you would think you were wrong about him.

We all hope that we're wrong but that uncertainty still lingers large in the background and isn't going away anytime soon.

Heaven forbid, it all goes tits up, I wonder if those with an opposite view will hold up theirs?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

We all hope that we're wrong but that uncertainty still lingers large in the background and isn't going away anytime soon.

Heaven forbid, it all goes tits up, I wonder if those with an opposite view will hold up theirs?

Does anyone have the opposite view though? Assuming the view is Unsworth will fail. I don't think anyone is saying Unsworth will definitely succeed. I'm certainly not, I have my reservations about him, but ultimately I trust those in charge so I'm happy to leave the decision up to them rather than demand it myself after a couple of defeats.

3 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Lol. Big claims there. 20 managers in this division would do better with the resources? You mean sign better players or perform better?

Probably both. James Berry from Macc turned us down because we don’t play enough football, Unsworths reputation In the game isn’t great.

I remember the football Wealdstone who have very limited resources played against us at the start of last season, we’ve not and won’t come close to that.