Mansfield

Found it really odd we didn't use more then 2 subs today given its the last chance to get minutes in legs in pre season. Should have given Hope, Tollitt and Gardner, if fit enough, a run out and also given Willoughby a bit longer.

Hobson is a decent stopper and seemed to get some good blocks in and win some 50/50s, but he doesn't like being ran at. Got done twice (I think) for their two second half goals and they nearly scored another when it happened again.

Team still looks imbalanced to me, can't really have Kitching (who I think is our best outlet at times) at wing back and Green on the other side doing the job in a different way.

Lundstram is clearly going be really important as Sheron and Shelton don't have enough creativity between them.

Thought we held Mansfield out well before the goal and created a bit ourselves. We won't be playing teams as decent as them every week in this league and I have confidence we'll have enough to beat plenty of sides in this division.

A few things to sort if we want to be a 'winning machine' though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

No, Kitching was LWB

Not that rigid a 442 when Kitching is in tho oppo box and whipping crosses in

Because that's what good fullbacks do, just because they cross the halfway line it doesn't make them a wing back.

Anyway my point still stands we are playing round pegs in square holes and the team has no structure or balance a week before the kick off.

7 hours ago, Simpo said:

You could argue that we moved into a 4 at the back when Mansfield came into the final third with Kitching tracking back, but it was very much a 3 at the back system in the main.

Hogan played central and was tasked with mopping up any high long balls, and Hobson and Raglan played either side, Hobson clearly not advancing forward as a RB would.

He drifted towards the right at some points, to cover for Green who would be exposed if he was asked to defend too much, so I can see why some were caught out.

(edit: thought I'd challenge what I thought I saw and asked my dad, he messaged back saying pretty much what I did, but with the amount Mansfield had the ball at the start of the second half it might as well have been a 4)

so would you say in this instance that yarddog just sees things differently than others? l can kind of understand that but its a bit worrying if a simple formation question cant be answered after two matches playing it.

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

Didn’t go today, so can’t comment on the game. But I have said a few times in pre season- we need a right back. 

Playing Green/Sutton/Hobson there is nonsensical, and is putting square pegs in round holes- which is something I’d hoped we would have moved on from. 

tbf so has everybody else

14 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

did you go? how does that report line up with what you saw? and what formation was it?

at the moment on here reminds me of reading reports of the same incident reported by the Instistute for the Study of War and TASS 

(which l actually do most mornings 🙄)

25 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

did you go? how does that report line up with what you saw? and what formation was it?

at the moment on here reminds me of reading reports of the same incident reported by the Instistute for the Study of War and TASS 

(which l actually do most mornings 🙄)

I'll answer that. Accurate report.

Nuttall should have scored under pressure from about 6 yards out. Ward was clean through and should have scored but he was dragged back as he shot so miss hit it. Reid missed an open goal from about 2 yards out. Fondop headed onw into ground that bounced over from 6 yards out. Created some great chances 

• Like 1

This was my first sighting of our ‘improved’ and settled squad of players. The quality of our midfield passing, movement and control of midfield was woful, as it was last season. Mansfield we’re in a different League, (I know). I will be watching with interest how they fare next term in the League we are trying to get into .

Of course we will not be competing against Mansfield’s level of midfield dominance in our real world League but I, along with our group of 4, were very disappointed with our performance yesterday. 

53 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

This was my first sighting of our ‘improved’ and settled squad of players. The quality of our midfield passing, movement and control of midfield was woful, as it was last season. Mansfield we’re in a different League, (I know). I will be watching with interest how they fare next term in the League we are trying to get into .

Of course we will not be competing against Mansfield’s level of midfield dominance in our real world League but I, along with our group of 4, were very disappointed with our performance yesterday. 

The midfield is still the problem. I really hope Lundstram is as good as everyone thinks he is, because we need some drive and energy to spur the side on. I don’t know what Ward’s best position is but if it’s left midfield I hope he’s better at it than he showed yesterday.

Contrary to popular opinion I thought Fondop and Nuttall did ok, but overall the side looked unbalanced. I read the arguments about what formation we played, and I could really work it out myself. More worryingly, it appeared neither could Hobson or Green, who both seem to get caught in between two positions. 
Overall though a good workout against a decent team. Despite not scoring we created a good few chances, and Raglan looks like he’ll be a class act at this level. Some good points, some ‘same old’ problems, but it’s on to the real stuff next week now.

Midfield always worries me, it's been our achilles heel probably since we sold Korey Smith. Just constantly weak there with no creativity. Sounds like Lundstram gives us the creativity, and Sheron gives us physicality. But the thought of us starting the season with a Sheron-Shelton midfield doesn't fill me with hope. I don't know much about Ward tbf. 

I still think with the players we've got 3-5-2 is the shape to use. We've got 3 excellent centre halves and it allows us an extra man in midfield. Ward out on the left just feels like a square peg that we've seen so many times down the years

Unsworth appears qualified with his tactics, in making players that destroyed us previously, look very ordinary.

Early days, but I saw nothing different than the boring football I witnessed last year.

Can accept losing but I can’t pay to watch that boring football. 😴

Said it a lot, but 3-5-2 only works when the wing backs are of a high quality. Kitching on the left is absolutely good enough to do it. But the fact we are asking Green to play RWB is just silly.

The fact we havnt sorted the RB/RWB position is unacceptable to me. It was clearly the number 1 area we needed for the last 12 months, yet we are one week away from the start of the season and asking someone who got into team of the season at centre back, or a RW to fill the position. Very poor. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Maybe playing Ward just behind a front two, whoever they may be, could be a short-term option until Lundstram is fit.

I think Gardner is more creative than Lundstram isn’t he ? Id be dropping one of Shelton / Sheron, Lundstram next to them and Gardner in front. Not seen enough of Ward to make an opinion. 

Oh well, we really do seem to be permanently depressed don’t we? The pent up frustration of 30+ years of failure is getting to some 🤣 I don’t think they will be happy until they have forced Unsworth and Nuttall out of BP 😞

I doubt the Southend match will happen so maybe time for the supposed new signings to come in before the actual first game of the season v Aldershot

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I think Gardner is more creative than Lundstram isn’t he ? Id be dropping one of Shelton / Sheron, Lundstram next to them and Gardner in front. Not seen enough of Ward to make an opinion. 

From being to all except the Barrow friendly pre-season, Ward looks like he’s no central midfielder, though likes to cut inside on his right and play more narrow than an out and out winger.

Bringing in a proper RB will obviously balance out the defence. Hobson is clearly a centre half, but I assume they’re just trying to get minutes under his belt whilst they bring in someone to fill the position. I’d obviously have liked this to have happened already, but things like this don’t always happen quickly, especially with agents involved.

We created chances yesterday, especially first half, and we looked to get the ball in the opposition half as quick as possible, often in wide positions. Green and Ward were kept busy, and Ward likes to cut inside when he can.

Second half Mansfield dictated the play a lot more and we seemed to lose our way a bit, especially in midfield. Nuttall should have easily buried that chance in front of goal. But if you’re booing him or ironically cheering him off you need a brain transplant.

The pitch looks fantastic and the ground is feeling fresher and more modern week after week. It’s weird to see away fans sat in our old seats, but the view from our new seats in the other side of the paddock is superb. Well pleased with them.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ceskylatic said:

From being to all except the Barrow friendly pre-season, Ward looks like he’s no central midfielder, though likes to cut inside on his right and play more narrow than an out and out winger.

Gateshead compilation shows him playing mainly wide right, cutting in onto his left foot. Slightly reminds me of another Ward (Mark), who was a fantastic player for us.

Still need another quality wide play, quality CM and, of course, a RB. We've got a solid squad, we just need to up the quality in those areas. Three really good signings should push us up another level. Would like to see more of Willoughby. Please use him or Reid playing off one of the two big lumps  - don't play both lumps. 

Rhino's told us 3 will be incoming, so fingers crossed. Don't forget, there is no window closing at the end of August. Also, a lot of clubs loan out their youngsters fairly late on.

• Like 1

Chesterfield beaten 2-0 by Bristol Rovers and it could have been a lot more but for their keeper having a blinder.

I suppose Chesterfield might as well pack it in now and get rid of Paul Cook whilst their at it?

• Like 4