Chesterfield

16 hours ago, Inspectormorose. said:

After Saturdays Southend shenanigans I shall be hopefully watching from a pub in Belfast prior to the annual homecoming gig by Belfasts finest Stiff Little Fingers if I can find one showing it.

No matter what the result is you are absolutely certain to have a brilliant uplifting  evening unlike Latics SLF never let you down. 

• Like 1

Ward, Green & Lundstram out for what looks like 4 week’s minimum.

That’s our 3 most attack minded midfielders out almost before a ball has been kicked!

So much for a planned training regime and structured pre season!

I had been really looking forward to the Chesterfield game but with this and the horrendous performance at Southend I see only one outcome.

What a start to a new season!

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

I can answer that now, Chesterfield are. We brought in Reid because Nuttall turned us down, only to end up getting Nuttall anyway, meaning Reid has become some what surplus to requirements. Raglan was offered to us and we couldn't turn him down despite just having signed Hobson and the captain happens to be a CB too, so we have had to shoe horn the 3 of them into the side. To compound the error with either Reid or Nuttall we then went and signed Willoughby having chased him for approx. 10 months and now the consensus is, we don't fancy him. We've failed to address the midfield problem or the RB issue. During Unsworths time we must have signed around 15 players and despite the setup of having 10 scouts, all singing data, i've yet to see more than 1 signing that has made a massive difference. The 1 signing who did was Yarney and he's gone and I'd hazard a guess he was asking for less than we are paying Raglan or Norwood. If I was Frank, i'd be asking him to unload a few more before

Assanctioning anymore signings.

Scouts recommend, but if the manager for some reason doesn't agree or the asking fee is too high they don't happen. Agents rule nowadays and as for Ai statistics, they have a use, but give me the human eye anytime. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Ward, Green & Lundstram out for what looks like 4 week’s minimum.

That’s our 3 most attack minded midfielders out almost before a ball has been kicked!

So much for a planned training regime and structured pre season!

I had been really looking forward to the Chesterfield game but with this and the horrendous performance at Southend I see only one outcome.

What a start to a new season!

Is that true about Green? I thought the rumour was covid in which case would have hoped he might be back on Saturday.

2 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

He was sighted in the gym last week so doubt it's covid related. 

Ah, that's true (unfortunately). So if Lundstram, Ward and Green are all fetlocked, along with the sluggish performance on Saturday, does that start to suggest we over trained in pre-season?

1 minute ago, Hemel latic said:

Ah, that's true (unfortunately). So if Lundstram, Ward and Green are all fetlocked, along with the sluggish performance on Saturday, does that start to suggest we over trained in pre-season?

Maybe for some but Green in particular took a lot of physical stick and Ward had a knock pre-season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PeteG said:

I can answer that now, Chesterfield are. We brought in Reid because Nuttall turned us down, only to end up getting Nuttall anyway, meaning Reid has become some what surplus to requirements. Raglan was offered to us and we couldn't turn him down despite just having signed Hobson and the captain happens to be a CB too, so we have had to shoe horn the 3 of them into the side. To compound the error with either Reid or Nuttall we then went and signed Willoughby having chased him for approx. 10 months and now the consensus is, we don't fancy him. We've failed to address the midfield problem or the RB issue. During Unsworths time we must have signed around 15 players and despite the setup of having 10 scouts, all singing data, i've yet to see more than 1 signing that has made a massive difference. The 1 signing who did was Yarney and he's gone and I'd hazard a guess he was asking for less than we are paying Raglan or Norwood. If I was Frank, i'd be asking him to unload a few more before sanctioning anymore signings.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Mike again...

10 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Mike again...

What makes you think he doesn't fancy Willoughby btw? Apart from the obvious, that's hes had very little game time in pre-season and sat on the bench Saturday, it seems bizarre that having chased him for so long, he now doesn't fancy him or is it possible Unsworth hasn't signed him and it's down to the recruitment department?

2 minutes ago, PeteG said:

What makes you think he doesn't fancy Willoughby btw? Apart from the obvious, that's hes had very little game time in pre-season and sat on the bench Saturday, it seems bizarre that having chased him for so long, he now doesn't fancy him or is it possible Unsworth hasn't signed him and it's down to the recruitment department?

He's hardly given him any game time, he was an unused sub in the opening league game and his staff has said he wants a new striker cos he doesn't fancy any of the ones he currently has, pre Norwood...

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He's hardly given him any game time, he was an unused sub in the opening league game and his staff has said he wants a new striker cos he doesn't fancy any of the ones he currently has, pre Norwood...

Bizarre given he's signed Nuttall, Reid and Willoughby. How long will it be before he doesn't fancy Norwood. The only striker that has improved ironically is Fondop who Shez signed.

• Like 1

Just now, PeteG said:

Bizarre given he's signed Nuttall, Reid and Willoughby. How long will it be before he doesn't fancy Norwood. The only striker that has improved ironically is Fondop who Shez signed.

I think my esteemed friend and your long distance relative @lookersstandandyhad a good point in December about him only signing Reid cos he thought he couldn't get Nuttall, but then they gave in to Nuttall's demands, despite DU saying the club wouldn't do that...

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I think my esteemed friend and your long distance relative @lookersstandandyhad a good point in December about him only signing Reid cos he thought he couldn't get Nuttall, but then they gave in to Nuttall's demands, despite DU saying the club wouldn't do that...

Agree with that as I stated in a previous post somewhere. I can't believe questions haven't been asked when Unsworth has asked to sign striker after striker yet then fields a team with 7 defensive minded players. If I was Chairman or CEO and the manager came asking for another striker, my immediate response would be what about the other 3 or 4 we have signed for you that we the supposed answer to our prayers? I'm not sure this recruitment department is all it's cracked up to be but then i'm old fashioned in believing managers should have full say when it comes to signing players, after all he has to pick the team.

1 minute ago, PeteG said:

Agree with that as I stated in a previous post somewhere. I can't believe questions haven't been asked when Unsworth has asked to sign striker after striker yet then fields a team with 7 defensive minded players. If I was Chairman or CEO and the manager came asking for another striker, my immediate response would be what about the other 3 or 4 we have signed for you that we the supposed answer to our prayers? I'm not sure this recruitment department is all it's cracked up to be but then i'm old fashioned in believing managers should have full say when it comes to signing players, after all he has to pick the team.

Under normal circumstances, I'd probably agree. But when the opportunity to sign Norwood comes up, it's a no brainer. Again, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I share your reservations with the recruitment side...

5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Under normal circumstances, I'd probably agree. But when the opportunity to sign Norwood comes up, it's a no brainer. Again, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I share your reservations with the recruitment side...

100% with Norwood, he's the exception i'd have thought, clearly good enough to be playing 2 levels higher. The rest of them are very much unproven and why I think expectations are a little high among the fanbase. We have been going on about signing lads from Gateshead, Altrincham and Chester as if they are the best signings the club has ever made. No disrespect to those 3 clubs but if we had signed these players 3 years ago there would have been the proverbial piss boil on twitter by some.

11 minutes ago, PeteG said:

100% with Norwood, he's the exception i'd have thought, clearly good enough to be playing 2 levels higher. The rest of them are very much unproven and why I think expectations are a little high among the fanbase. We have been going on about signing lads from Gateshead, Altrincham and Chester as if they are the best signings the club has ever made. No disrespect to those 3 clubs but if we had signed these players 3 years ago there would have been the proverbial piss boil on twitter by some.

Those three players played about 20 minutes between them on Saturday that is after being all but ever presents in their respective club sides last season so it's going to be difficult to judge them until they are given a run in the team but you make a fair point, on paper though they have the right profile and you can see why we've brought each of them in.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Those three players played about 20 minutes between them on Saturday that is after being all but ever presents in their respective club sides last season so it's going to be difficult to judge them until they are given a run in the team but you make a fair point, on paper though they have the right profile and you can see why we've brought each of them in.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not judging them at all yet. i'm just thinking we may have over estimated how good the squad and recruitment is, when the reality is, with the exception of Norwood, they all have a lot to prove. I still think we will be in and around the play-offs because the league is absolutely terrible.

1 minute ago, PeteG said:

Don't get me wrong, i'm not judging them at all yet. i'm just thinking we may have over estimated how good the squad and recruitment is, when the reality is, with the exception of Norwood, they all have a lot to prove. I still think we will be in and around the play-offs because the league is absolutely terrible.

Yes I still couldn't have us out of the top 10 whatever happens, it's going to be difficult keeping six strikers happy though, a fit Reid couldn't even catch the bench on Saturday which is ludicrous given how short we are in certain areas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

If this is true he should be sacked immediately, the guys taking the piss. He has 5 competent strikers, another manager would snap at the opportunity to have this squad. Pathetic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

By "Physical stick", I assume you mean strong challenges. I don't think they give you muscle strains, unless @rudemediccan advise otherwise...

They can do.

It will all depend on a lot of things, for example the hamstrings are 3 different muscles all doing slightly different things. So a hamstring injury doesn’t give enough detail, and I’m not going looking for the detail.

Trauma from a strong challenge can cause any affected muscle to strain, it will depend on the mechanism of the injury, again I’m not looking for detail. You might expect a more severe muscle strain as a result of trauma and the indication is mild, but who’s to say the indication is right. 

Im fairly certain there have been cases of footballers getting muscle strains getting out of chairs and the like, the list of people who know the actual cause of a muscle strain in a footballer could be 0. 

9 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

They can do.

It will all depend on a lot of things, for example the hamstrings are 3 different muscles all doing slightly different things. So a hamstring injury doesn’t give enough detail, and I’m not going looking for the detail.

Trauma from a strong challenge can cause any affected muscle to strain, it will depend on the mechanism of the injury, again I’m not looking for detail. You might expect a more severe muscle strain as a result of trauma and the indication is mild, but who’s to say the indication is right. 

Im fairly certain there have been cases of footballers getting muscle strains getting out of chairs and the like, the list of people who know the actual cause of a muscle strain in a footballer could be 0. 

The last time I was due to play I put my back out picking up my kitbag. And that was the end of that!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

They ain't going to be ever-presents now, seeing as two of them are injured and could possibly miss up to ten games. Just leaves Willoughby to get us all excited and he isn't getting any game time. Basically, it's back to shit, defensive tedium and a non-productive set-up with a striker who is probably too good for this level twiddling his thumbs up front. And they've hardly kicked a ball in anger.

I'm feeling extremely pessimistic at the moment and reckon we will still be in the bottom four after ten games with the fans in full piss boil mode, vitriol at the games and the chants of "Unsworth Out" ringing round the ground while the opposition pepper Norman's goal with long range screamers.

Pass me the whisky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

If this is true he should be sacked immediately, the guys taking the piss. He has 5 competent strikers, another manager would snap at the opportunity to have this squad. Pathetic. 

Genuinely believe his treatment of Sutton and Willoughby is an immediate sackable offence. Alas, he'll have no choice but to play KW on Saturday and he'll probably do well...

On 8/7/2023 at 3:20 PM, Inspectormorose. said:

After Saturdays Southend shenanigans I shall be hopefully watching from a pub in Belfast prior to the annual homecoming gig by Belfasts finest Stiff Little Fingers if I can find one showing it.

Rangers KO at same time so might struggle but if you go in Fountain Lane early enuf they will put it on a small corner tele for you. probs have no sound tho.

• Like 1