MATCH: vs Chesterfield (A) 19/08/23 - 12.30 KO

6 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

The real piece of luck we had was, Chesterfield not turning up like normal  otherwise it would have been another Southend scoreline 

Yet some Chesterfield fans are saying they've been relatively lucky in their first three games.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose. 

15 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

The real piece of luck we had was, Chesterfield not turning up like normal  otherwise it would have been another Southend scoreline 

Can't get that.  We got embarrassed at Southend and since then we've brought in two senior players and changed the formation.  We played the game plan. lord knows what the plan was at Roots Hall

5 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

70% pass accuracy is the thing to take away from this. If you're going to play like we did which was to be compact and allow them to have the lions share of the ball, the times we win possession we have to be better with it. Too many times we gave the ball away too easily and weren't able to launch enough counter attacks. I don't mind us sitting back against the better teams away from home. But we need to work on being a lot more ruthless with the ball. We created 2 chances of note in the game and one was because of a bad bit of goalkeeping.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, doctor evil said:

70% pass accuracy is the thing to take away from this. If you're going to play like we did which was to be compact and allow them to have the lions share of the ball, the times we win possession we have to be better with it. Too many times we gave the ball away too easily and weren't able to launch enough counter attacks. I don't mind us sitting back against the better teams away from home. But we need to work on being a lot more ruthless with the ball. We created 2 chances of note in the game and one was because of a bad bit of goalkeeping.

We'll have another opportunity to defend like dogs this coming Saturday, 

I'd like to think we'll have a proper go and get the 3 points we so desperately need.

14 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

Shelton and Sheron just aren't good enough to do that.

Lundstram and Tunnicliffe solve this issue, you'd hope.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I wouldn't agree on that actually. Might sound like splitting hairs, but Chesterfield not playing well - which they didn't, particularly - is surely more a reflection of the fact that there are no outstanding teams in this league. That in turn makes our failure to take the game to them and try to impose ourselves all the more frustrating.

Where I do agree with you is that, yes, we were outstandingly lucky to scrape a 96th minute equaliser due to our complete inability to create any worthwhile attacking moves at all, other than Norwood's attempt to chip the keeper from outside the box - even that wasn't a case of getting men in their box.

Edited by Worcester Owl

20 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

it's attrocious isn't it 🤮 seventy.fucking.percent. 

l was having a great time ignoring that and am suprised it took so long to be highlighted

8 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Shelton and Sheron just aren't good enough to do that.

Lundstram and Tunnicliffe solve this issue, you'd hope.

yep. we are still muddling along and Dickenson has improved us but we need at least one more peice of quality in there pretty urgent

57 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

yep. we are still muddling along and Dickenson has improved us but we need at least one more peice of quality in there pretty urgent

I agree, another signing wouldn’t have bothered me but because of the Injury situation in midfield we need one asap in my opinion 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doctor evil said:

Looked at Opta data on passing accuracy and 70% is as good as the average for L1 and better than L2. Chesterfield had a higher passing accuracy because it was constantly cycled across and between defence and midfield. I’m just pointing this out, personally I’d prefer a more front foot approach and better ball retention.

5 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Yes it is… If you are a good team.  In our case it was just luck. 

Again, it's only called lucky by those who don't want DU in charge

2 hours ago, doctor evil said:

70% pass accuracy is the thing to take away from this. 

I'd say the point against league favourites is the thing to take away from this

5 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I'd say the point against league favourites is the thing to take away from this

It's one of the only things really, I'm happy we started 6 points off top and finished the day the same, we've also played what I think will prove to be two of the toughest away fixtures of the season, it's what we do Saturday now that really matters.

2 hours ago, Lags said:

The two performances bore absolutely no resemblance 

Had Grigg hit that chance first time to make it 2 nowt, we'd of caved in like butter

The way we're riding our luck and allowing teams to come onto us all the time, there could be a few more results like the Southend one

• Like 2