MATCH: vs Chesterfield (A) 19/08/23 - 12.30 KO

11 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Seems the winter of discontent has lasted about 12 months for some.

It's been ongoing and doesn't look like stopping for a good while, some have no choice through circumstances but others can't have any complaints about what they've brought on themselves 

18 hours ago, doctor evil said:

I don't think we did much more than that with the ball. I guess we probably need more detailed stats but I'd imagine our pass success rate dramatically decreased as we move out of our third of the pitch.

This is all the info I can get from WyscoutOld-Chfpassing.jpg.6f39ed3e426d254aca34c5ebb4385852.jpg

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

You mean like Nuttall at Soutport? Straight back after his ban with 4 other forwards in the queue.

Not sure he'd thank anyone for playing on Saturday - he's a forward (some would add "at best" but I've not seen enough to say). It was painfully obvious he was out of place in a winger type role last weekend and to his credit he didn't give up. He may be slower or more languid than we'd like, but there's a lot of players out there we've had, or have, who wouldn't have worked up and down the flank like he did. Can't really blame him for being out of sorts there. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ackey said:

Not sure he'd thank anyone for playing on Saturday - he's a forward (some would add "at best" but I've not seen enough to say). It was painfully obvious he was out of place in a winger type role last weekend and to his credit he didn't give up. He may be slower or more languid than we'd like, but there's a lot of players out there we've had, or have, who wouldn't have worked up and down the flank like he did. Can't really blame him for being out of sorts there. 

I'm happy with Nuttall his overall contribution has been one of the big positives and he deserves his spot in the team, not popular opinion but his assists alone have been invaluable, after about Saturday but he kept at it, I'd of been tempted to start Reid where he played but can understand why he was asked to do that job.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm happy with Nuttall his overall contribution has been one of the big positives and he deserves his spot in the team, not popular opinion but his assists alone have been invaluable, after about Saturday but he kept at it, I'd of been tempted to start Reid where he played but can understand why he was asked to do that job.

l also would start Reid in that position. for however much l rate Nuttall if we play 433 he can only play central. and he was doing every week until we signed Norwood.

Willoughby Norwood Reid for me on sat

• Like 1

8 hours ago, doctor evil said:

So yeah as soon as we do anything other than pass the ball backwards it drops to a pretty poor level. 

anybody who needs stats to tell them that isn't overly into the Foitballing part of going to the Football!!!!

if they work for us on the Footballing side and they need stats to see that then they are stealing a living.

36 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

anybody who needs stats to tell them that isn't overly into the Foitballing part of going to the Football!!!!

if they work for us on the Footballing side and they need stats to see that then they are stealing a living.

Does nothing that can't be seen with the human eye.

Managers are stats obsessed and robotic players not allowed think for themselves.

Latics legends like Bobby Johnstone and Alan Groves would have ignored them and done their own thing...entertaining fans at the same time.

Glad I was a dinosaur before I was wiped off the scouting earth, great days.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Does nothing that can't be seen with the human eye.

Managers are stats obsessed and players not allowed think for themselves anymore.

Latics legends like Bobby Johnstone and Alan Groves would have ignored them and done their own thing...entertaining fans at the same time.

Glad I was a dinosaur before I was wiped off the scouting earth, great days.

whilst l agree with you mostly l do view a stats department as an essential part of a succesful modern coaching set up. its important not to go too far the reliance on said stats tho.

that second sentence is probably indicative as to why l don't work in a stats dept at a Football club. despite my obvious appetite for the sport and possessing the relevant mental disorders to potentially get excited by numbers!!!

just to clarify l merely have Aspergers. l do not masturbate over mathematical textbooks.

12 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

whilst l agree with you mostly l do view a stats department as an essential part of a succesful modern coaching set up. its important not to go too far the reliance on said stats tho.

that second sentence is probably indicative as to why l don't work in a stats dept at a Football club. despite my obvious appetite for the sport and possessing the relevant mental disorders to potentially get excited by numbers!!!

just to clarify l merely have Aspergers. l do not masturbate over mathematical textbooks.

What I saw at Chesterfield was a typical robotic set up, which broke down when players malfunctioned in not marking as programmed at a set piece resulting on an opposition goal.

Another player malfunctioned when without thinking hit a shot on target from which we scored during the  following mechanical breakdown choas.

Tales of the Unexpected springs to mind.😁

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

What I saw at Chesterfield was a typical robotic set up, which broke down when players malfunctioned in not marking as programmed at a set piece resulting on an opposition goal.

Another player malfunctioned when without thinking hit a shot on target from which we scored during the  following mechanical breakdown choas.

Tales of the Unexpected springs to mind.😁

lno and thats what is keeping me in Unsworths camp in that his idea is higher up than what the current XI can execute. when l say 'the XI' l mean one area currently lets us down. two players, possibly one, changes that for me.

what you see as robotic l see as structured bc lm young and naiive!!!!

also possibly wrong. despite potential appearances to the contrary l never actually rule that prospect out.

No stats on earth could have been produced to tell the club to keep buying rightfooted centrehalfs or have five or six strikers on the books when we play two up top at the most, maybe we need some stats for the recruitment department as we still don't have a midfielder who can play football. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

No stats on earth could have been produced to tell the club to keep buying rightfooted centrehalfs or have five or six strikers on the books when we play two up top at the most, maybe we need some stats for the recruitment department as we still don't have a midfielder who can play football. 

well we do but one is injured and the other is too old.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

It's refreshing to know that you do not have a rhombus in your pants.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

well we do but one is injured and the other is too old.

To be fair Gardner did okay on Saturday, he nearly got caught in possession a couple of times but that is purely down to him having little options on the ball as his fellow midfielders were stood on our own goal line. Got an assist as well 🤣

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

To be fair Gardner did okay on Saturday, he nearly got caught in possession a couple of times but that is purely down to him having little options on the ball as his fellow midfielders were stood on our own goal line. Got an assist as well 🤣

Gardner is our best midfielder. He can be slow on the ball and does lose possession more than he should. But he looks to play forward and at least try’s to create something. 

Gardner losing the ball occasionally is no different to Sheron and Shelton continuously pumping it up field to the centre backs head. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Slow!! Are you serious?

In my opinion he’s anything but slow, in fact every time he gets it he looks like he’s been plugged into the electric socket!!!

He can be slow to release the ball sometimes. That’s what leads to him losing possession. 

Usually it’s because he’s trying to find a forward ball but all the players are either not moving or behind him. 

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

yes that defo counts as an assist ld be claiming that its on target and dipping so difficult to catch impossible to plam over.