MATCH: vs Chesterfield (A) 19/08/23 - 12.30 KO

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I'd say the point against league favourites is the thing to take away from this

Don't get me wrong I'm happy with a point, but it's not a sin to look at what we could've done better. Equally had we lost it wouldn't be unreasonable to point out the things we did well.

Re Nuttall: Fantastic touch from him to control a ball coming down with snow on it then his next touch put Norwood away - where I think he may be disappointed he didn't do better. Plus the scorer from the FK wasn't his man it was Raglan's.

That touch alone showed me why he keeps getting picked and even out of position. Languid is a perfect way to describe him. 

It was my first game of the season and my thoughts:

Hogan or Raglan not both in a 2 too similar and both are vulnerable to being got behind. I'd pick Raglan. Despite his pedigree Will Grigg was right up their alley so they controlled him for most part and even his "sitter" was "missed" because Raglan tackled him. The only time I've been impressed with Hogan was when he was playing alongside Yarney. I'd think injuries and suspensions will mean that Hobson and/or Sutton will play soon, especially if Hogan keeps getting booked for dissent and he could have actually got sent off on Saturday with 2 yellows, both for dissent.

Sheron and Shelton can work in a midfield but only with wingers / more attack minded players out wide it worked last season so why not this. It worked a bit against Chesterfield because that was how we were set up to play at the title favourites. But I think we all know that Lundstram and probably Ward and Green go straight into the side when fully recovered. We will look a lot more attacking when that happens. It

Setting up so defensively away at promotion rivals is fine - we lost a combined 9-2 at the joint title favourites last season. As Borehamwood are likely to be in the playoffs I expect we may play in a similar fashion too, so it may be a bit of a blessing that we are being forced to play SaS together in games where it is more likely to suit us. Getting a draw at the title favourites with what is arguably our 15th choice central midfield pairing is not something to be sniffed at. Nevermind that we had our 2nd choice keeper in goal too.

• Like 2

Hogan/Raglan hasn't worked, Unsworth is stubborn enough to continue the partnership though even though we probably have three others capable of pushing them, Hobson has been another strange signing given he was arguably the best centre back in the League last season outside of Wrexham. We struggled like fuck with Hogan last season and only tightened up when Yarney and Sutton came in to the team after Christmas, both now deemed not good enough. We haven't looked close to keeping a clean sheet this season which is a huge worry given we set up so defensively with two holding midfielders.

With regards to Nuttall he's the only player creating anything, I can't think of anyone from midfield whose had a positive effect on our attack I honestly can't remember one chance that Sheron, Shelton, Dickinson, Tollitt or Willoughby have created yet Nuttall must have put close on 10 on a plate now, not half chances neither, his touch is better and he's probably benefitting from playing with someone like Norwoods ability.

16 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Hogan/Raglan hasn't worked, Unsworth is stubborn enough to continue the partnership though even though we probably have three others capable of pushing them, Hobson has been another strange signing given he was arguably the best centre back in the League last season outside of Wrexham. We struggled like fuck with Hogan last season and only tightened up when Yarney and Sutton came in to the team after Christmas, both now deemed not good enough. We haven't looked close to keeping a clean sheet this season which is a huge worry given we set up so defensively with two holding midfielders.

With regards to Nuttall he's the only player creating anything, I can't think of anyone from midfield whose had a positive effect on our attack I honestly can't remember one chance that Sheron, Shelton, Dickinson, Tollitt or Willoughby have created yet Nuttall must have put close on 10 on a plate now, not half chances neither, his touch is better and he's probably benefitting from playing with someone like Norwoods ability.

4 games in.... And the first was a back 5 including Hobson.

He couldn't have played Sutton (this season's golden boy who gets better with every game he doesn't play) cos he's been suspended.

What guarantee is there that he changes it and it improves? 

The only guarantee is that if he does change it and it doesn't work, he gets a load of shit for it from the boo brigade.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

He couldn't have played Sutton (this season's golden boy who gets better with every game he doesn't play) cos he's been suspended.

The only guarantee is that if he does change it and it doesn't work, he gets a load of shit for it from the boo brigade.

That kind of talk won't catch on.

Lots of thruths in there.

28 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

There are no garuantrees, but if you play your best players in their best positions it can help.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Hold on a minute golden boy Sutton 🤣 that's just bullshit the lad came into the team January away at Dorking, we went on to win 10 draw 6 and lost only 4 of the 20 games he started (1.8ppg that he started in or 83 points over a season) so I think the lad deserves just a little more respect considering he was playing out of position and filling in for a succession of donkies we tried at rightback last season, that's before we even consider he was a 19 year old stepping in to a team under huge pressure at the time that had been embarrassed only days before. Based on that I'd suggest it worked last season would you not or was the turnaround in form just luck?.

It's easy to blame the young players but the only constant in that shit defence is Hogan, now I know he is the captain but if he wasn't he'd be lucky to be playing in the Evo Stick North because he's limited and that's being generous, now I know Unsworth won't drop him because he can't see the wood for the trees but please spare us from the golden boy shite because he doesn't deserve that, when he came in we were a better team evidenced by the results, like I say he'll be another one gone soon as somehow he's found himself singled out as the weak link when there are plenty more we should be worried about, like I said previously he'll do just fine in the EFL when the opportunity comes.

42 minutes ago, Lags said:

That kind of talk won't catch on.

Lots of thruths in there.

And there's a lot of truths in what I've said but it depends how you want to see it I suppose.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Hold on a minute golden boy Sutton 🤣 that's just bullshit the lad came into the team January away at Dorking, we went on to win 10 draw 6 and lost only 4 of the 20 games he started (1.8ppg that he started in or 83 points over a season) so I think the lad deserves just a little more respect considering he was playing out of position and filling in for a succession of donkies we tried at rightback last season, that's before we even consider he was a 19 year old stepping in to a team under huge pressure at the time that had been embarrassed only days before. Based on that I'd suggest it worked last season would you not or was the turnaround in form just luck?.

So last season counts if we're looking at players, but not the manager. No worries

1 minute ago, mcfluff1985 said:

So last season counts if we're looking at players, but not the manager. No worries

The points count for nothing now but yes we can judge players performances can't we? Unsworth is dining out on that good finish, it bought him more time but it appears we've regressed since then. Has Sutton become a worse player? I don't think so but he is now surplus to requirements as was Yarney, now that is a big call given we've reverted back to the pre Christmas form again.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

How on earth do you conclude that Yarney and Sutton were deemed not good enough?

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

How on earth do you conclude that Yarney and Sutton were deemed not good enough?

They wouldn't pay Yarney half of what Raglan is getting and Sutton won't be seen again. I'd say Unsworth didn't fancy neither of them wouldn't you?

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

The Nuttall / Norwood partnership could get us out this division. They look like the only two who know how to play football. 

I would include Gardner in that.

We need them three on the pitch. 

17 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

The points count for nothing now but yes we can judge players performances can't we? Unsworth is dining out on that good finish, it bought him more time but it appears we've regressed since then. Has Sutton become a worse player? I don't think so but he is now surplus to requirements as was Yarney, now that is a big call given we've reverted back to the pre Christmas form again.

That 5-1 win less than two weeks ago must have been a dream...

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

That 5-1 win less than two weeks ago must have been a dream...

Having watched us this season it's been the bright light, we sit 15th at the minute and based on performance I'd say that's about right on how we've performed, if you think that's going to get the fans through the turnstiles then great, personally I don't. 

37 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

And there's a lot of truths in what I've said but it depends how you want to see it I suppose.

I am sure you've posted plenty of truths and quite a few chunks of opinion.

Opinions are fine, as we all hold our own and so we should.  Do I think the performances have been free flowing? no I certainly don't. Do I think we string enough 4 or 5 pass moves? again no I don't. However the Chesterfield performance and game plan really should have been pulled off. We had the better chances and Norwood himself say's he should have scored more. possibly 3 on the day. Those go in and the subsequent inquest would never have happened. 

DU is defensive, do I wish we played free flowing, goal scoring football? of course I do. I want to be entertained, but the Chesterfield game was not a Southend and we should have won it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Be back in on Saturday then?

Seriously, why would he be?  he made a rash tackle that got a deserved red card and the most recent match saw a pretty decent defensive display where we conceded one goal and barely another chance against the league favourites.  There's no way on earth he should come straight back in.

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Seriously, why would he be?  he made a rash tackle that got a deserved red card and the most recent match saw a pretty decent defensive display where we conceded one goal and barely another chance against the league favourites.  There's no way on earth he should come straight back in.

I'd be surprised if he makes the bench

11 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Like summer, it was wonderful while it lasted,

Now like the sun, I'd love it to return sooner rather than later and before the winter of discontent 

Seems the winter of discontent has lasted about 12 months for some.