BPAS PODCAST: 11th Sept '23, S4E8: Where Do We Go From Here?

12 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

If you were a regular participant on here you would know. You could try reading some of his history and perhaps find it interesting-or not.

Then post something.

Wittering on with unsubstantiated opinions on what fans of a club he doesn't support expect is just odd. Not interested in any historical aspects.

42 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

1) Gatse, budgets ad wages don't win football matches. Players do. Well motivated, well coached players.

Gates budgets and wages all pay for better players. . . . Without gates budgets and wages any club is screwed. We are paying for very good players at this level. Where I do agree, is they aren’t being motivated and well coached. If they were we would be top 3 as it stands. 

47 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

Again, we have had this owner for four years, he has poured getting on for £20m in and we are back where we started. It happens, because people don't always make good decisions and money doesn't always mitigate the impact when you make a mistake.

£20 million at your level doesn’t go anywhere near as far as it should at our level. But I take your overall point that is doesn’t guarantee success. 

10 hours ago, Shrek said:

Wittering on with unsubstantiated opinions on what fans of a club he doesn't support expect is just odd. Not interested in any historical aspects.

When we were in trouble we were always very conscious of how few people we were able to turn to for support. The Trust that I am part of swore that we would never in the future watch the fans of another club struggle if we were able to do anything to help.

So that is why we try to look out for the fans of clubs who are having a hard time, even if we can only offer moral support. I don't think that is "odd" at all.

Edited by basilrobbie
  • Like 9

27 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

When we were in trouble we were always very conscious of how few people we were able to turn to for support. The Trust that I am part of swore that we would never in the future watch the fans of another club struggle if we were able to do anything to help.

So that is why we try to look out for the fans of clubs who are having a hard time, even if we can only offer moral support. I don't think that is "odd" at all.

I probably wouldn't go to the extreme Woody did above, but it always absolutely blows my mind that you spend an hour a week listening to a podcast about Oldham...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I probably wouldn't go to the extreme Woody did above, but it always absolutely blows my mind that you spend an hour a week listening to a podcast about Oldham...

I'm interested in institutional failure and how it is addressed. I made a successful career out of that and developing performance management frameworks.

And then there is the combination of Matt "Mellifluous" Dean, Halliwell The Erudite and ...... The Other One. How can anyone stay away?

16 hours ago, BPAS said:

Yeah, we don't want decent football, some results and some progress & we don't invite people on the podcast with different opinions. We just want to be divisive. :lol:

I didn’t say that was all you want. Matt was misguided in his overly generalising rants and nothing will change my opinion on that. 

I always listen. Matt and co do always try and put a balanced view forward even though I don't always agree with what they say. Guests are also generally good fun and make some good points.

Matt made the point again that we should remember to look back to where we came from last season, which I believe most fans do and I'd say 100% of the fan base would say we are a million miles ahead of where we were off the field.

It's just debatable if we have moved forward at all on it.

We did move forward 2H of last season, which I think is the big issue.

Since then Unsworth has moved who he didn't want out and brought plenty of players in which I'm sure he endorsed, and we have categorically gone backwards in results, performance levels, and having any clear identity on the pitch.

Will we get dragged into another relegation fight if Unsworth and things stay the same? I don't think so. We will end up between 10th and 14th ish I'd say.

My view is we didn't need Norwood....although he's a quality addition.

What we are spending on his contract could have been used to bring in 2 more quality midfield players at this level instead.

Nuttall Fondop Reid and Kurt are a good strike force if they get the service. Lundstrom will help i'm sure however even with him and everyone fit i'm still not convinced our midfield is good enough. Gardiner is never fit, and both Ward and Lundstrom now have fitness questions over them.

Sorry but it's not more time anymore we need. It's a better more experinced manager, a couple of quality midfielders with a bit of nouse, and a new injection of belief and enthusiasm in both the team and fanbase before our season is all but over by Christmas.

Edited by Londonboy
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

I always listen. Matt and co do always try and put a balanced view forward even though I don't always agree with what they say. Guests are also generally good fun and make some good points.

Matt made the point again that we should remember to look back to where we came from last season, which I believe most fans do and I'd say 100% of the fan base would say we are a million miles ahead of where we were off the field.

It's just debatable if we have moved forward at all on it.

We did move forward 2H of last season, which I think is the big issue.

Since then Unsworth has moved who he didn't want out and brought plenty of players in which I'm sure he endorsed, and we have categorically gone backwards in results, performance levels, and having any clear identity on the pitch.

Will we get dragged into another relegation fight if Unsworth and things stay thensame? I don't think so. We will end up between 10th and 14th ish I'd say.

My view is we didn't need Norwood....although he's a quality addition.

What we are spending on his contract could have been used to bring in 2 more quality midfield players at this level instead.

Nuttall Fomdop Reid and Kurt are a good strike force if they get the service. Lundstrom will help i'm sure however even with him and everyone fit in still not convinced our midfield is good enough. Gardiner is never fit, and both Ward and Lundstrom now have fitness questions over them.

Sorry but it's not more time anymore we need. It's a better more experinced manager, a couple of quality midfielders with a bit of nouse, and a new injection of belief and enthusiasm in both the team and fanbase before our season is all but over by Christmas.

ftfy 😉

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, PeteG said:

Spending almost always does guarantee success. Look at the Prem and Championship, the top 5 spenders will be the top 5, it's just the order they finish in that changes now and again. 

Depends what you mean by success. I read somewhere the other day that United are the biggest net spenders over the last 10 years. Try suggesting to their fans that they deserve an open top bus parade through the city centre if and when they finish in the top 4. 

20 hours ago, Shrek said:

I'd say you've just taken insularity to a new level. Personally, I find an outside perspective on where we are on and off the pitch invaluable.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

(1) Gates, budgets and wages don't win football matches. Players do. Well motivated, well coached players.

With regard to us, the bit in bold is exactly what we haven't got - because the manager is clueless. Almost everyone can see it - apart from a very small minority of fans now - and the whole of the executive/owner/board apparently.

Edited by wiseowl
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I'd say you've just taken insularity to a new level. Personally, I find an outside perspective on where we are on and off the pitch invaluable.

I do- until he called us a crap league one team, and I went off him momentarily. 

We can call us utter dogshit, but other fans can not. 😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Invaluable? By his own admission he hasn't seen us play, which means any defence of the manager and saying we should stick with him for the sake of stability is purely meaningless. 

On 9/14/2023 at 11:16 PM, Shrek said:

Invaluable? Really?

On 9/15/2023 at 9:21 AM, PeteG said:

Invaluable? By his own admission he hasn't seen us play, which means any defence of the manager and saying we should stick with him for the sake of stability is purely meaningless. 

Yes, because we are extremely capable of going OTT with our opinions on our club, precisely because it means so much to us. An outside perspective will usually be more objective.

Where does Basil say that we should stick with DU? What he actually said was

Only you know how youare doing on all three, or whether Unsworth is the right man. He's had fifty gamesnow, and I'd imagine over the next couple of months the Board will reach conclusionsabout him one way or another.

I’d say that’s a pretty objective view, whether you agree with it or not. I’d also say that Basil’s views on how clubs are run, given his experience at Blackpool, are very valuable indeed.

And for the record, I can’t see DU delivering winning football on a sustained basis, and so I believe we need a new manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

The next podcast should be interesting or will it just be more of the same?

Time to change the manager and the record aswell while we're at it

Hope it doesn't spend too much time focusing on other reasons why we could be failing, aside from Unsworth. 

It's not about being patient, it's not about not trusting the board, it's not about the fans, it's not about the players, it's not about tactics, it's not about the weather. 

It's about the manager's complete inability to do his job. Always has been. 

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

Hope it doesn't spend too much time focusing on other reasons why we could be failing, aside from Unsworth. 

It's not about being patient, it's not about not trusting the board, it's not about the fans, it's not about the players, it's not about tactics, it's not about the weather. 

It's about the manager's complete inability to do his job. Always has been. 

The question that needs asking is where will it all end, should they continue to back their man to the conclusion of his contract and who'll accept the blame if the unthinkable happens because of it?