The Next Oldham Manager

6 hours ago, nzlatic said:

The post I saw on twitter about someone who looked like Clemence being walked around the pitch had a response to it saying he was in London. 

Sounds like someone thinking someone looks vaguely like someone from a distance and it being taken as gospel.

😂😂😂

Surely that could never happen on owtb!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lukers1 said:

That’s a perfectly valid and well executed.

Would you feel any differently if this interim team won the next 3 on the bounce. Not only the wins but convincing performances scoring goals and not conceding.

👍

No as we're playing shite. THE shite of this division. That will tell me nothing of the caretakers ability to get a team into a machine worthy of promotion. 

3 hours ago, Lukers1 said:

The more I see Thompson and Muzza on  the touch line the clubs in safe hands on the playing side.

If the results come I’m sure we’d all be happy with that combination.

If the results come in I'd be happy with Laurel and Hardy.

15 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

York are decent and won’t be far off the playoffs!!

certain posters appear to have a certain tone at a rather weird moment. l always used to 'debate the post, not the poster' which is why l'd sometimes wonder why people would ignore if l raised a decent point (lno 🙄) then l realised theyll be pissed off with me over some ancient remark that made them cry which lve forgotten!

lve forgiven nonaenever hiding behind a name change (😉) but l think an AgendaLadz member has gotten a bit used to smarming around under the cover of DU fucking shit up tryna cause a riot. some very bitter people (person?) lm not sure l ever fully understood the word pity until now, l'll need to process that.

On 9/20/2023 at 7:48 AM, Dave_Og said:

Would imagine Thompson isn't interested in the job full time, can't be many that get their first manager role aged 58.

I honestly believed that he had been a full time manager before!

Then I realised the Steve Thompson who took over Yeovil in 2005 from Gary Johnson was a different Steve Thompson!  😄

I'm sure he was their manager against us in that season too.

1 minute ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Contrarily, Oxford City on Saturday will be viewed as an easy match. They're undefeated in seven, albeit with five draws.

We've still got a Billy Big Bollox attitude to this league, certainly on the terraces. We need a bit of humility until we earn cock of the walk status. It's 11 v. 11 on grass (or 4G), history and size of the club does not matter one jot, it's those 22 players at 3pm on Saturday afternoon that determine the result [ps I'm not suggesting you have that attitude FMS, rather building on your point]. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Contrarily, Oxford City on Saturday will be viewed as an easy match. They're undefeated in seven, albeit with five draws.

Yes I was looking at their form over the last few weeks and they won’t be easy that’s for sure . Thompson seems to have his wits about him so hopefully there’ll be a decent plan. I think half the battle was just letting the squad play again rather than treat every game like chess (badly played chess) 

14 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Yes I was looking at their form over the last few weeks and they won’t be easy that’s for sure . Thompson seems to have his wits about him so hopefully there’ll be a decent plan. I think half the battle was just letting the squad play again rather than treat every game like chess (badly played chess) 

Exactly. With our squad and a semi competent manager we should be doing to these what we did to Aldershot. It's not cocky. If we can't expect to beat York and these next 2 i assume it's a relegation battle we're in for.....

20 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

We've still got a Billy Big Bollox attitude to this league, certainly on the terraces. We need a bit of humility until we earn cock of the walk status. It's 11 v. 11 on grass (or 4G), history and size of the club does not matter one jot, it's those 22 players at 3pm on Saturday afternoon that determine the result [ps I'm not suggesting you have that attitude FMS, rather building on your point]. 

I agree, although we ought to be confident of beating anyone at home IMO. 

It’s good to hear Thompson saying the opposition should worry about us and how we play. Unsworth was so obsessed with the opposition he forgot to set us up to play football. 

I do think we should be taking this Thompson period a game at a time. We are not going to just win 4/5 games on the bounce, even with the relatively easy run of games. But it’s a good opportunity to pick up points and hopefully climb up to mid table before the new man comes in. 

I wouldn’t want Thompson to get the job, but would love for him to get a DOF role to allow the eventual manager to focus on the coaching side. If the board have learnt anything, they should focus on getting a manager that is attack minded and who will work closely with Thompson and have the same philosophy. 

Looking back, Thompson and Unsworth  clearly see the game differently, which probably led to the friction between them that we have recently heard of. Which then led to the messy and inconsistent recruitment which causes player fall outs ect. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Below us.

That goes without saying!!

They are in a similar situation to ourselves having just sacked and appointed a manager, they will improve and if we finish above York we’ll be in the playoffs!

Edited by oafc1955

16 hours ago, Shrek said:

We need a manager with a system and experience of winning things. We don't have time for learning on the job. These easy games will look great on any record but we need a manager who knows they can get going when things are tough.

A number of years ago Latics appointed an experienced manager, in his mid forties, with promotions on his cv. At the time I thought that was a good appointment! It was Dave Penney.

Whoever we appoint, it'll still be a gamble.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

A number of years ago Latics appointed an experienced manager, in his mid forties, with promotions on his cv. At the time I thought that was a good appointment! It was Dave Penney.

We we're a never ending shit show at that point. We've got what most people would say is the 2nd strongest squad in the league. We just need the right conductor. 

29 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

Recommended by big Joe too

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

It was only last year that he left York

31 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

It is a gamble, but the thinking behind why Penney was appointed wasn't bad, for the reasons you've said.

Talbot was another one - it went downhill quickly for him, but he actually wasn't that bad for us.  Kept us up after administration, beat City.