The Next Oldham Manager

9 minutes ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Thompson, Redfearn, Murray. May as well postpone the recruitment process..

A few good results could certainly make it interesting.

I am warming to ST. Down to earth, knows the game, experienced, no bullshit, can hopefully instill confidence in the  players.

Time will tell but so far doing himself no harm.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, latics22 said:

Weird, has he come in for a few weeks

"At a Board meeting held this week, a recruitment process was agreed upon and will be followed over the coming weeks. The Board wants to ensure the process is thorough and that the merits of all candidates are properly considered."

The appointment of a new manager could several weeks, therefore Redders could be here for a while. As the only job he seems to be doing at the moment is radio commentary with BBC Radio Leeds and talkSPORT, then why not help out a old friend.

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Heard the strongest of strong rumours that Hasselbaink is in the mix...

altho not the most thrilling personally, if he is applying to leave his England role the season we win the Euro's then we must be viewed rather flatteringly.

hey l've never said this before let me know if l'm doing it right-

'lm not a fascist or owt but you cant appoint a Dutchman to a post after the last man was accused of being arrogant...'

• Like 1

To be honest, I really thought putting Joe Royle on the board was going to be the ace card in making sure we always had the right football men in charge of our club.

There surely can't be many other individuals, after all, who are better connected, have the same eye for talent or know more about the game in this country - so why he and Darren got it so wrong with Unsworth is bewildering. I just hope they have learned from that fiasco and deliver us something special with this next recruitment.

No more jobs for the boys. No more journeymen with multiple sackings on their CV. No more lacklustre compromises. Let's have a fresh and vital management team we can all believe in.

1 minute ago, laticsfanatic said:

To be honest, I really thought putting Joe Royle on the board was going to be the ace card in making sure we always had the right football men in charge of our club.

There surely can't be many other individuals, after all, who are better connected, have the same eye for talent or know more about the game in this country - so why he and Darren got it so wrong with Unsworth is bewildering. I just hope they have learned from that fiasco and deliver us something special with this next recruitment.

No more jobs for the boys. No more journeymen with multiple sackings on their CV. No more lacklustre compromises. Let's have a fresh and vital management team we can all believe in.

DU was Big Joe's hat trick after his role in appointing Graeme 'Bastard' Sharp and Dave 'Pockets' Penney

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, laticsfanatic said:

This isn’t a criticism of the Royles at all, I think the good intentions and the legacy joe left will always outweigh any of the bad. I think (Just my opinion) that DU was looking for his first managerial position , the takeover goes through and he’s perhaps made it known that he would like to give it a go or perhaps joe has basically said , here you are David , this is about as safe a bet as you’ll get with us… and the rest is history. No recruitment process. It happens in every industry . Even the ones where they say it doesn’t . 

12 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

DU was Big Joe's hat trick after his role in appointing Graeme 'Bastard' Sharp and Dave 'Pockets' Penney

OK, if Joe's instincts on managers can't be trusted, let's see him hold his hand up and get on the phone to those big name contacts he has, who have a history of getting it right. Sure, it might be wishful thinking on my part to think he's got Tony Bloom at Brighton or Dan Ashworth at Newcastle on speed dial. But I'd still like to believe he's got enough influence and connections within the game to find out who the best up and coming coaches are right now. 

8 minutes ago, laticsfanatic said:

OK, if Joe's instincts on managers can't be trusted, let's see him hold his hand up and get on the phone to those big name contacts he has, who have a history of getting it right. Sure, it might be wishful thinking on my part to think he's got Tony Bloom at Brighton or Dan Ashworth at Newcastle on speed dial. But I'd still like to believe he's got enough influence and connections within the game to find out who the best up and coming coaches are right now. 

me too when taken in conjunction with the rest of the board sat around a table discussing the people that have actually applied for the job!

16 hours ago, Boyyou said:

A few good results could certainly make it interesting.

I am warming to ST. Down to earth, knows the game, experienced, no bullshit, can hopefully instill confidence in the  players.

Time will tell but so far doing himself no harm.

Also has the advantage of bringing the players in so knows and has backed them, personally, will also know their agents and possibly family.

The board will no doubt spin out the process and, in effect, they have a trialist in place.  If he does well nobody will mind him having a shot.   If he bombs, nothing lost.

I remember Jimmy Frizz coming in, the team was stinking the place out, just drawn away in the cup at South Shields, lost at home.     Results were not stellar at first but people liked him, he was a sound football man and it all came good.  👍

8 minutes ago, Punce said:

Also has the advantage of bringing the players in so knows and has backed them, personally, will also know their agents and possibly family.

The board will no doubt spin out the process and, in effect, they have a trialist in place.  If he does well nobody will mind him having a shot.   If he bombs, nothing lost.

I remember Jimmy Frizz coming in, the team was stinking the place out, just drawn away in the cup at South Shields, lost at home.     Results were not stellar at first but people liked him, he was a sound football man and it all came good.  👍

it has been voiced that extended caretakers such as Wellens bomb when they arent caretakers anymore, so we must not do this.

l personally find that a rather simplistic equation with limited use.

1 hour ago, laticsfanatic said:

No more journeymen with multiple sackings on their CV.

Very few managers who haven't been sacked these days.

I'd hazard a guess in the '92' there aren't more than half a dozen excluding those in their first appointment.

According to wiki if a manager has been in place 3 years it puts him in the 12 longest serving of the 92.

In contrast 47 have done less than a year.

I take your point though-need to avoid a serial failure. It would be great to have a manager being offered a renewal at 3 years- would mean we are progressing.