The Next Oldham Manager

16 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

This was from the club just under 2 weeks ago...

At a Board meeting held this week, a recruitment process was agreed upon and will be followed over the coming weeks. The Board wants to ensure the process is thorough and that the merits of all candidates are properly considered.

They're talking in terms of weeks. So I'm guessing the processing of applicants and conducting interviews will be ongoing. I'm not sure what more there is to update at this stage. 

Thanks, I hadn't seen that. I still think there are plenty of unanswered questions about the process but suspect my interest in that is as an anorak as nobody else seems particularly interested.

I will dispute Dave's point that it's best done in private. There should be privacy from the club in respect of who the shortlisted candidates (assuming they have a shortlist) are and how they perform in the unspecified process but they could be more open about the process they are following.

3 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Thanks, I hadn't seen that. I still think there are plenty of unanswered questions about the process but suspect my interest in that is as an anorak as nobody else seems particularly interested.

I will dispute Dave's point that it's best done in private. There should be privacy from the club in respect of who the shortlisted candidates (assuming they have a shortlist) are and how they perform in the unspecified process but they could be more open about the process they are following.

By saying what? And how would that make you feel better? 

We’re interested in the outcome not the process, surely? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Can't see what we gain from that.  I'm 100% confident that a process is ongoing

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

By saying what? And how would that make you feel better? 

We’re interested in the outcome not the process, surely? 

The process determines the outcome. We didn't seem to have a process last time when Unsworth was appointed. If we have some cockamamie process this time around that involves Darren and his dad asking around among their mates and discounting anyone who isn't in their circle, that would be dissatisfying and probably deliver the same sort of result as last time.

I realise the above is a bit disrespectful and I'm sure it's more rigorous than that but hard to tell with the lack of detail. 

But I do seem to be in a minority in my interest/slight concern around this.

More generally, is the uncertainty around the new manager contributing to the tail off in form over the last three games?

10 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

You do know he assembled the squad...

Yarddog makes a decent point that needs to be taken into account when assessing if he's the right man or not.

ST has been in his Head of Recruitment position since November last year, and as all can see the ballance of the squad is way off and just isnt right. Not saying he made all the signing decisions but I'd imagine he made all of the recommendations to the board, on who we should bring in and many have been below par.

Not the man for me i'm affraid...

13 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

More generally, is the uncertainty around the new manager contributing to the tail off in form over the last three games?

Apparently the players want him to be given it so you'd think they'd have wanted it a bit more the last couple of games.

Just now, Londonboy said:

Yarddog makes a decent point that needs to be taken into account when assessing if he's the right man or not.

ST has been in his Head of Recruitment position since November last year, and as all can see the ballance of the squad is way off and just isnt right. Not saying he made all the signing decisions but I'd imagine he made all of the recommendations to the board, on who we should bring in and many have been below par.

Seems to have been missed by many, some dismissing the imbalance in the squad and blaming Unsworth and Royle for that side of the recruitment which I think is really strange given his job title prior to his stint as caretaker manager.

Not for me either I'm afraid given his eye for a player, I mean we raided Gateshead and managing to bag one of their most limited footballers. Raglan was a nonsense signing and a waste of everyone's time and money, Freeman - fuck knows what's gone on there, you could go on really although I think Norwood was a good signing on paper that's beginning to bite us on the arse a bit as well now. 

It's a fucking mess he's inherited largely made by himself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Apparently the players want him to be given it so you'd think they'd have wanted it a bit more the last couple of games.

Seems to have been missed by many, some dismissing the imbalance in the squad and blaming Unsworth and Royle for that side of the recruitment which I think is really strange given his job title prior to his stint as caretaker manager.

Not for me either I'm afraid given his eye for a player, I mean we raided Gateshead and managing to bag one of their most limited footballers. Raglan was a nonsense signing and a waste of everyone's time and money, Freeman - fuck knows what's gone on there, you could go on really although I think Norwood was a good signing on paper that's beginning to bite us on the arse a bit as well now. 

It's a fucking mess he's inherited largely made by himself.

l'm sorry but anybody who didnt sign Raglan and Norwood when given the opportunity would deserve at least to be tarred and feathered.

weird hysterics. totally uncalled for.

4 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

To be fair, he may have recommended a number of players for each position, with the club going for each of the cheapest options. Or he thought these were the players to shoot us to promotion. Guess we’ll never know.

I do think the opening three wins will have turned the heads of the board though, especially as he could be deemed the ‘cheap option’. Personally, I’d rather go with a complete fresh start and would imagine the last two performances will have pointed the board in that direction too.

20 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

His job as head of recruitment is to find players based on what the manager wants for the squad. 

He doesn’t assemble the squad as such. If Unsy wanted 5 strikers and no RB and told ST that then he has to do the job of finding strikers. 

To judge him on that is unfair in my opinion. The quality of the players recruited isn’t the issue. It’s the balance of the squad. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

l'm sorry but anybody who didnt sign Raglan and Norwood when given the opportunity would deserve at least to be tarred and feathered.

weird hysterics. totally uncalled for.

I'm not sure it's uncalled for, it's just my view and trust me it's not hysterics it's purely a balanced view.

On paper Raglan should have been one of the signings of the summer but he is now struggling to make the 16, is he better than Hogan - undoubtedly and for that reason he should start but if we are going to persist with a non league plodder what was the point?, Hogan, Sutton, Hobson, Mcghahey and even Sheron can all play there and the money wasted on that signing should of been used to strengthen other areas, if we had the budget for Raglan why didn't we give Yarney the few quid more he was asking for?, players shouldn't just fall in to our laps they should be brought in to fulfill a specific role, I get Norwood I'd class him as a marquee signing, Raglan on the other hand just baffles me and we very nearly lost Hobson before we started as a result of it which makes it look even more stupid after each passing game given there is only really him and Kitching you'd keep if you were building a team.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm not sure it's uncalled for, it's just my view and trust me it's not hysterics it's purely a balanced view.

On paper Raglan should have been one of the signings of the summer but he is now struggling to make the 16, is he better than Hogan - undoubtedly and for that reason he should start but if we are going to persist with a non league plodder what was the point?, Hogan, Sutton, Hobson, Mcghahey and even Sheron can all play there and the money wasted on that signing should of been used to strengthen other areas, if we had the budget for Raglan why didn't we give Yarney the few quid more he was asking for?, players shouldn't just fall in to our laps they should be brought in to fulfill a specific role, I get Norwood I'd class him as a marquee signing, Raglan on the other hand just baffles me and we very nearly lost Hobson before we started as a result of it which makes it look even more stupid after each passing game given there is only really him and Kitching you'd keep if you were building a team.

Hard to argue with this. Raglan must be looking at Hogan puzzled how he can’t even make the squad. 

If Hogan was to be dropped, who would be captain ? Hogan is vocal and he’s been promoted 3 times out of this league, that shouldn’t be forgotten. But I agree Raglan needs to play. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Could it be that the balance is off because it's not finished yet? Personally, I think the incoming signings since the end of last season have been - on the whole - decent. Hobson is a baller. Hudson, albeit having an off game on Tuesday, has hardly put a foot wrong and Dickinson is a cut above in terms of quality at this level. Norwood for me has been the biggest disappointment but I suspect he's one who'll find his groove once we can provide the ammunition on a regular basis. Difficult to assess Willoughby, Raglan, Lundstram and Ward properly given their lack of game time but I don't think any are to be written off.

I've had a bit of time to reflect on whether ST should be given the job. I genuinely think the football has improved, but how much of that was an appealing run of fixtures? The second half performance on Tuesday illustrated to me that our inability to kill off cannon fodder is deep-rooted. It's a cause for concern as teams know that all they need to do against us is keep it tight until the hour mark and you'll get on top. ST's not convinced me yet that we can get monkey off our back.