The Next Oldham Manager

12 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Not sure why people think giving ST and Redders the job would be the cheap option. I doubt those 2 will be on peanuts and certainly more than say Williamson at Gateshead or Parkinson at Alty.

Maybe so but I’ll bet substantially less than the combination of Unsworth,  Ebbrell & Jeffers!!

3 out and 1 in has to be a saving surely?

3 hours ago, Dickie Down said:

Notwithstanding Jimmy Frizzell's huge stroke of luck in Frank Lord rejecting our blandishments, I do, though, think you underplay somewhat his own role in determining his , and subsequently  Latics' fate, for the next twenty five years or so. It isn't fanciful to suggest that all our success stemmed from decisions taken in the period from January 1970 to the end of the season.

I don't disagree with that assessment at all. I just meant that the circumstances of Frizzell's appointment owed something to luck, not that he lacked ability in any way. I'd rate him as our best post-war manager, some way ahead of Royle.

• Like 1

On the squad, this has been done quickly so may not be 100% accurate, but as far as I can see the following players have won promotion from this league:

Kitching
Hogan (x2)
Shelton (x2)
Norwood (also has EFL promotion)

And the following have played in the EFL:

Raglan (lg2 promotion)
McGahey
Freeman (lg1 promotion)
Sheron
Gardner
Dickenson
Nuttall
Hope (lg2 promotion)

Tha'ts half the squad. And in the other half there are the likes of Hobson, Sutton, Lundstram and Reid, all of which most people would be ok with being a regular on the pitch.

I really don't think this is a squad that is beyond hope and in need of an overhaul. It certainly wasn't when Unsworth was in charge as far as most people were concerned.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

On the squad, this has been done quickly so may not be 100% accurate, but as far as I can see the following players have won promotion from this league:

Kitching
Hogan (x2)
Shelton (x2)

Raglan (lg2 promotion)
McGahey
Freeman (lg1 promotion)
Sheron
Gardner
Dickenson
Nuttall
Hope (lg2 promotion)

Tha'ts half the squad. And in the other half there are the likes of Hobson, Sutton, Lundstram and Reid, all of which most people would be ok with being a regular on the pitch.

I really don't think this is a squad that is beyond hope and in need of an overhaul. It certainly wasn't when Unsworth was in charge as far as most people were concerned.

It has been quite a quick turnaround considering they were just being badly coached six games ago...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Kitching
Hogan (x2)
Shelton (x2)

Raglan (lg2 promotion)
McGahey
Freeman (lg1 promotion)
Sheron
Gardner
Dickenson
Nuttall
Hope (lg2 promotion)

No one is saying an overhaul. When did 4 players become an overhaul? 

Do you disagree with ST’s own assessment then, and if you do- do you think this squad with no additions is good enough for top 7? 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Do you disagree with ST’s own assessment then, and if you do- do you think this squad with no additions is good enough for top 7? 

The squad is more than good enough for top 4 in this division...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The squad is more than good enough for top 4 in this division...

Not a chance paddy. 

Sutton as a right back

Green on the right 

Dicky as a left winger:wide player 

Sheron as a centre mid 

None them are good enough if those positions. 

We’ve scored 20 goals with 6 strikers, chesterfield have 37. 

Why is that? Because we create very little, and if Kitch has a quiet game we’re fucked. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Not a chance paddy. 

Sutton as a right back

Green on the right 

Dicky as a left winger:wide player 

Sheron as a centre mid 

None them are good enough if those positions. 

We’ve scored 20 goals with 6 strikers, chesterfield have 37. 

Why is that? Because we create very little, and if Kitch has a quiet game we’re fucked. 

cant disagree here, but l dont think its too drastic a fix

20 minutes ago, League one forever said:

If we're talking about 4 starters being brought in then that's an overhaul to the 1st team. 

I think that the right manager would be able to get this squad as it is to the top 7, absolutely. Especially with the strikers we have.

However, if we want to play attractive, attacking football as well then we need a creative midfielder who won't break down every 5 minutes. So for me it's 1, maybe 2 new players to see us more balanced. The second being a replacement for Freeman who I presume isn't fit.

58 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l feel for Shelton exactly like l felt for Richard Butcher. how many of you remember booing him on his debut?

Might get pelters for this, I would play Shelton instead of Sheron in midfield, there is a bit more of a footballer about him. 

With what we've got I'd love us to go 3-4-3 but I understand if Thompson feels he doesn't have the players.

Norman

Sutton

Hobson

Hogan

Shelton

Gardner 

Lundstrum 

Kitching

Green

Norwood 

Dickinson 

Raglan

Sheron

Hope

Willoughby 

Reid

Problem with that is you'd want a bit more out of your two wide forwards which is where I think Thompson wants to strengthen, Colclough should have been an Oldham player - it's criminal we couldn't bring him in when he was available, I also think we need an upgrade/cover for Gardner as he will never be able to play twice a week. Hogan has to play left of that back three for me as he's the only player comfortable playing anywhere across the three centre half positions. We should really target a left sided centrehalf as we move forwards as the defence has lacked balance all season and it's lob sided with right footers.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

If we're talking about 4 starters being brought in then that's an overhaul to the 1st team. 

They don’t have to permanent signings. Two loans for now and possibly add a couple in Jan. 

I think that the right manager would be able to get this squad as it is to the top 7, absolutely. Especially with the strikers we have.

We’ll agree to disagree here, the players I’ve mentioned in certain positions aren’t consistent enough for top 7 form. Yes we have 6 strikers, but this squad has scored 20 between them, but that’s roughly of 1.3 goals a game- that’s not top 7 form. 

However, if we want to play attractive, attacking football as well then we need a creative midfielder who won't break down every 5 minutes. So for me it's 1, maybe 2 new players to see us more balanced. The second being a replacement for Freeman who I presume isn't fit.

The right back and centre mid I agree with.

But to play attractive football we can’t just rely on fullbacks and a creative midfielder. How many times have green and dicky supplied the cross? They both drift in and out games, and our goal record and performances back that up because we don’t create a lot. 

A lot of people have changed their minds here. When DU was in charge, the fact we weren't firmly cemented in the top 3 as people expected has changed to the players aren't good enough. Which is it? Was it DUs coaching or players not good enough. 

If they're not good enough may as well stay as we are. If it's a coaching issue then we only need 2 players really 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

They don’t have to permanent signings. Two loans for now and possibly add a couple in Jan. 

We’ll agree to disagree here, the players I’ve mentioned in certain positions aren’t consistent enough for top 7 form. Yes we have 6 strikers, but this squad has scored 20 between them, but that’s roughly of 1.3 goals a game- that’s not top 7 form. 

The right back and centre mid I agree with.

But to play attractive football we can’t just rely on fullbacks and a creative midfielder. How many times have green and dicky supplied the cross? They both drift in and out games, and our goal record and performances back that up because we don’t create a lot. 

I think where we may be coming at this differently is how we each think the team should be set up. For certain formations we definitely do need more signings than others. 

When it comes to the recruitment process, I wonder if the board is looking for someone who can work with what we have in their preferred system? Or there could be a preferred candidate but to play their way would need more signings? Either way, I don't envy the decision they have to make here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

With what we've got I'd love us to go 3-4-3 but I understand if Thompson feels he doesn't have the players.

Norman

Sutton

Hobson

Hogan

Shelton

Gardner 

Lundstrum 

Kitching

Green

Norwood 

Dickinson 

Raglan

Sheron

Hope

Willoughby 

Reid

Problem with that is you'd want a bit more out of your two wide forwards which is where I think Thompson wants to strengthen, Colclough should have been an Oldham player - it's criminal we couldn't bring him in when he was available, I also think we need an upgrade/cover for Gardner as he will never be able to play twice a week. Hogan has to play left of that back three for me as he's the only player comfortable playing anywhere across the three centre half positions. We should really target a left sided centrehalf as we move forwards as the defence has lacked balance all season and it's lob sided with right footers.

What’s happened to all the pro Nuttall fans on here? They’ve gone all quiet!

• Like 1