The Next Oldham Manager

5 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Mellon has been promoted out of this division twice and got our star signing scoring a load of goals. Why would people not be happy with him ? 

Because he’s a dour character and his teams carry a reputation of both playing unattractive football and neglecting younger players, which seems at odds with the aims of the people running the club

I'd like to try and win and do it with some style.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Because he’s a dour character and his teams carry a reputation of both playing unattractive football and neglecting younger players, which seems at odds with the aims of the people running the club

I don’t care if the football is shit as long as we are winning. The sooner we are out of this league the better. 

3 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Sorry if I have missed it but where does it say ST has left the club?

It says "left their position as interim management team" So this should mean he has gone back to his original job doesn't it?

"The Oldham Times understands that he (Thompson) will not be returning to his original role with the club."

www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/23850411.steve-thompson-neil-redfearn

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

I don’t care if the football is shit as long as we are winning. The sooner we are out of this league the better. 

This is where I'm at. I'm happy for long term footbally strategy to go on hold for now and just to focus on promotion however that needs to happen. Once we're in league 2 then the long term stuff can start as its almost impossible to get relegated from that division.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I read an article the other day that suggested Mellon's football was free flowing, lots of goals and got fans on the edge of their seats.

Granted it was an old article and I've no idea how accurate it was but I've read a few people say similar to you?

I suppose it could be similar to Shez in the fact that his style changed over the years?

Two possible scenarios here then. New manager is either agreed and ready to come in before Saturday therefore Thompson has left....or they haven't decided who the new man is yet but Thompson has been told he won't be getting it either way, and has seen his arse and left us managerless for Saturday.

30 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Surely announce new manager first and then announce readers etc have left!

Cock up again.

How can they announce the new manager if they have not yet made the appointment and logically, of course, Thompson and Redfearn leaving the club is going to be announced. Not knowing all the facts [if we ever do] I feel somewhat disappointed by Thompson leaving before the cup tie on Saturday, which could have a negative impact on the players. Maybe the new person will be in place by then but I wouldn't be counting my chickens. 

2 minutes ago, Wardie said:

How can they announce the new manager if they have not yet made the appointment and logically, of course, Thompson and Redfearn leaving the club is going to be announced. Not knowing all the facts [if we ever do] I feel somewhat disappointed by Thompson leaving before the cup tie on Saturday, which could have a negative impact on the players. Maybe the new person will be in place by then but I wouldn't be counting my chickens. 

Interesting scenario if it was Parky at Alty.

3 minutes ago, Wardie said:

And what if the new manager sleeps on it and changes his mind like Evans did??

This is not the way to do it.

4 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I think this needs sorting asap. It makes no logical sense for ST and Redders to have left without the new man coming in immediately.

Something is going on, unless the new man is announced this afternoon. 

If it’s Murray and Adams on the touch line on Saturday, something has gone bad along the way. 

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I think this needs sorting asap. It makes no logical sense for ST and Redders to have left without the new man coming in immediately.

If it’s Murray and Adams on the touch line on Saturday, something has gone bad along the way. 

Which is what the alleged B.Owen alluded to on Twitter

1 minute ago, diggleblue said:

And what if the new manager sleeps on it and changes his mind like Evans did??

This is not the way to do it.

If Thompson wanted the job but is not being offered it, then he maybe decided there and then to leave and not return to recruitment. We don't know the facts, so we just assume the club has made a tits-up of it? The club may have asked him to take charge this weekend and he flat out refused. 

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I'd be more worried if it was Unsworth on the touchline on Saturday. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, disjointed said:

I'd be more worried if it was Unsworth on the touchline on Saturday. 

As would we all! To be fair, the report says Murray will be overseeing training, nothing about being on the touchline, although the lack of the club announcing the duo departing completely is a bit shoddy.