MATCH: Oxford City (H) 23/09/23

Overall a comfortable win with some cracking goals, against admittedly poor opposition, but who can argue with a 4-0 win?

First half we played well and could have had more, with Green in his element.

Tailed off second half and fell quite flat, and in truth I thought the two late goals gave the score line a flattering look. Rhinoball still creeping in by letting them having too much of the ball, but we’ll eradicate that eventually.

The calls for Thompson to get the job seem to inevitably getting louder, but I think we need a new manager and leave everything behind the scenes as it is. Hopefully good results in the meantime means we don’t have to rush and can make the right decision.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

I think we need a new manager and leave everything behind the scenes as it is. Hopefully good results in the meantime means we don’t have to rush and can make the right decision.

if Lee Sinnott is to be believed and l see no reason why he isn't then he doesn't want it. 

if that is the case then l'm viewing this period as a lid peeling session where we get to see the rude health the club operates in behind the scenes 😎

to romanticise (may not be a word) the view a little lm thinking of it like some sauve savvy dude calmly walking thru a 1920's art deco train station towards a gleaming marvel of a train that's slolwly rolling and steaming beautifully. he stops, turns, surveys the rose tinted scene, waves his hat and calmly steps onto the train which is actually moving quite steadily now and looking stupendous. wait for itttttttt

tooooooooooott

goes the whistle and onwards to glory 

🙄

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Pidge said:

Not sure what was ridiculous. When Shelton came on the performance (obviously the team) reverted to bad habits, and the trigger was him backing off. We needed him to come on and give us energy and keep us on the front foot. 

Shelton has been very badly coached for the last year. Seemingly, he was well regarded at his previous club in a higher league. Also, Thommo judges him good enough to be included. Give the lad a chance in the "new improved" approach. I also think that all subs coming on should get applause.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

if Lee Sinnott is to be believed and l see no reason why he isn't then he doesn't want it. 

if that is the case then l'm viewing this period as a lid peeling session where we get to see the rude health the club operates in behind the scenes 😎

to romanticise (may not be a word) the view a little lm thinking of it like some sauve savvy dude calmly walking thru a 1920's art deco train station towards a gleaming marvel of a train that's slolwly rolling and steaming beautifully. he stops, turns, surveys the rose tinted scene, waves his hat and calmly steps onto the train which is actually moving quite steadily now and looking stupendous. wait for itttttttt

tooooooooooott

goes the whistle and onwards to glory 

🙄

That's quite a picture! Beautifully imagined and described, thankyou!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Shrek said:

Opposition absolutely shite.

No chance we could lose once 1 up.

Very boring. 

Hopefully this is sarcasm, if not, you should be banned from the board. :D 

Given Oxford City's unbeaten run, scoring fifteen goals along the way, how confident do we think they were, coming to BP? I would say they thought they were in with a good shout of a point at least, if not a win. The immediate press and goal on 14 mins probably knocked a good bit of wind out of them.

Too much fucking dissecting of the games. Latics scored four, I could not give a flying fuck if they all came in the last minute or even injury time. Four is four, with no reply and each goal should be celebrated and enjoyed by the fans, ffs! The game starts and finishes with the whistle, anything between is part of the game. Humiliate the opponent as much as possible and other teams will take notice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, redlion said:

Shelton has been very badly coached for the last year. Seemingly, he was well regarded at his previous club in a higher league. Also, Thommo judges him good enough to be included. Give the lad a chance in the "new improved" approach. I also think that all subs coming on should get applause.

I think that’s the key. There’s always been the feeling that the right manager and coach could get so much more from this squad, simply by doing the right things and the right preparation on the training pitch.Hopefully that’s what we’ll see from now on. No one seemed to improve under Unsworth, only regress, so with proper coaching we should shoot up the table, because there’s not much to beat.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

.....or the first effects of LSD ?    😄

🤣

only ever done it once and l fully understood all of the Universe so l just remembered it. unfortunatley basic Universal engineering doesnt graft onto the current Earth based Human 'system' and it turned me into a lazy hippy.

9 hours ago, astottie said:

The clown who sits behind me said ' he was on 20 minutes before he touched the ball on Tuesday so I'm going to time how long he takes before his first touch today.' Thereby missing his first touch within 5 seconds of coming on.

I enjoyed Gardner's first three touches yesterday being two misplaced passes then getting in the way of someone else's pass. Thankfully he improved after that - lovely assist.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Just on a side note from the match.

Did you see how many stewards were in the Chaddy End? As well as that, how they were lined up down the sides as though they needed to segregate them from the "home fans" :)

I don't think they got the memo these were home fans!!!

yes l did 🤣🤣🤣🤣

reyt ruff 'uns those chaddy enders need a 8:1 ratio

9 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

I enjoyed Gardner's first three touches yesterday being two misplaced passes then getting in the way of someone else's pass. Thankfully he improved after that - lovely assist.

and also credit to you for not letting a bad start cloud the rest of everything 👍🏻

if only it was infectious

11 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Credit to the Oxford 22, although their club must hope for bigger away followings.

Yesterday was the lowest of the season  - they took 24 to Halifax!

that just shows we arent even a big club. not one of them posing for photos at the main entrance for their big day out blog!!

16 hours ago, doctor evil said:

I thought overall we did about as much as we needed to, which isn't a criticism as such. I personally just felt that was a missed opportunity to really throw down a statement victory. That could have been a 6 or 7 nil. This might sound strange after a 4-0 win but I didn't think we created enough clear cut chances, certainly for the possession we had. Definitely in the 2nd half we took our foot off the accelerator and it felt like we were just drifting through the game. It's not a complaint because the game was dead, Oxford offered nothing and I said at HT it's the easiest game of the season. I just think whoever gets the gig needs to instill a ruthlessness to this squad.

As for the players,

Hudson 8 - No drama, distribution is getting better I think, great save at the start of the 2nd half in the scramble.

Sutton 8 - I really feel for him because he doesn't half try, everything defensively (aside from the odd positional lapse in concentration) he does really well. But when he gets to the other end it's just abundantly clear you're looking at a CB.

Hobson 8 - Rock solid again, his pace is a real asset.

Hogan 8 - Same as Hobson minus the pace bit.

Kitching 7 - Maybe not as influential down his side today but always gives his all. Teams will be aware of how much attacking threat he gives.

Green 9 - Was on it from the off today, always popping up in good positions. Took his goal well. Thought he looked very dangerous when moving more central. If he could've put a bit more juice on a few through balls to nuttall he might've been looking at a 10 👀.

Sheron 6 - Usual busy self, defensively solid. Too sideways and backwards. First half especially the CBS were forced into trying to play the balls he should.

Gardner 7 - Was dead after 60 mins but, when he has time on the ball (and time to think), he's one of the best in the division at picking passes. He just needs to calm down a bit and not try to do everything at a million miles an hour. I'd like to see him spin and drive with the ball more.

Dickinson 8 - 8 for a player who scored twice might be harsh but I thought he drifted in and out of the game a bit too much. 2 great finishes though.

Nuttall 6 - Effort was there and had a couple of half chances, link up play just didn't really happen for him today.

Norwood 7 - You can just see his class. Especially when he drops into midfield to collect the ball. Got his goal at the end. Would've liked to see him on the ball a bit more because he always seems to know where the play should go.

Agree with most of this - a couple of further thoughts:

Hudson - not much to do but another clean sheet is always good. His kicking needs some work though.

Norwood - looked very ‘rusty’ and had a number of poor touches but pleased that he got his goal.

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

Agree with most of this - a couple of further thoughts:

Hudson - not much to do but another clean sheet is always good. His kicking needs some work though.

Norwood - looked very ‘rusty’ and had a number of poor touches but pleased that he got his goal.

Yes,  deep into the second half Norwood was clearly frustrated. I think it was more generated with some of his missed ( or poor attempts by his standard ) opportunities to score.  So defo  a good job he got his late goal. 

• Like 1