MATCH: Oxford City (H) 23/09/23

9 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I was disappointed that when Shelton came on, we look a bit like the performances in previous games. Shelton tend to drop back nearly into the back 4. We had been engaging them 5 or 10 yards further out until then. Suddenly their mid field had time and space, and for 15 mins we struggled.  Shelton rarely closes inside 5 yards from the man with the ball and tries to block their pass from there. He doesn’t get close enough to influence them. Maybe that can be coached, but he isn’t ready to play at the moment.

That's ridiculous, the entire team did it. In fact when Reid came on we shifted to more of a 451...

2 hours ago, Punce said:

Perhaps we need some new fans as well.   A paraphrase from the Oxford commentary:

"Interesting that two misplaced passes and the Oldham fans are on their backs

Yes,

Mark white said:  keep them quiet for 10 minutes and the crowd turns........"

Have been to a couple of lower league German matches in recent months who were both at foot of the table and the fans were to a person singing in encouragement for 90 minutes. Great experience and infectious.  Those who want to moan and abuse their own players are contributing to poor performances, they know best but ruin the experience for many

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

That's ridiculous, the entire team did it. In fact when Reid came on we shifted to more of a 451...

Not sure what was ridiculous. When Shelton came on the performance (obviously the team) reverted to bad habits, and the trigger was him backing off. We needed him to come on and give us energy and keep us on the front foot. 

4 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Not sure what was ridiculous. When Shelton came on the performance (obviously the team) reverted to bad habits, and the trigger was him backing off. We needed him to come on and give us energy and keep us on the front foot. 

yeah cant believe we didnt score two more goals or anything!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

yeah cant believe we didnt score two more goals or anything!!

We're probably still partly under the shadow of Unsworth's team set-up and performances, it's going to take a while until confidence from the fans returns. Many are seeing Shelton as step back from what is trying to be achieved and he has become a scapegoat to some extent. Why boo your own player?

I think we can all see how it will pan out for him once Lundstrum is back in the side.

Strange game really. More like a practice match,will both teams  passing the ball a lot without really going anywhere.  

Not much atmosphere in the ground, the whole thing had a pre season feel to it.

BUT, 4 goals for, and none against and 3 points. So ever onward. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wardie said:

We're probably still partly under the shadow of Unsworth's team set-up and performances, it's going to take a while until confidence from the fans returns. Many are seeing Shelton as step back from what is trying to be achieved and he has become a scapegoat to some extent. Why boo your own player?

I think we can all see how it will pan out for him once Lundstrum is back in the side.

Indeed it will be interesting  to see  Lundstrum play.Im just glad out football has become entertaining  for our supporters and the goals are being created as well as none conceded. Nice to see smiles  on faces. BTW thought the ref was OK today for a rare occasion 

Edited by Flemboy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Strange game really. More like a practice match,will both teams  passing the ball a lot without really going anywhere.  

Not much atmosphere in the ground, the whole thing had a pre season feel to it.

BUT, 4 goals for, and none against and 3 points. So ever onward. 

No drama, no atmosphere? :D 

It was a strange atmosphere. I think it was a little bit to do with recovering from the Unsworth effect and little bit of surprise of how easy it was today.  It was barely a contest.

The best crowd moment was the "Come On Oldham" as they disappeared up the tunnel at the end.  Like we're sending them away to pick up 6 points from the next two away games - do that and it'll look like we're not dicking about anymore...

2 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Give him the job, talks well, makes more sense in two interviews than unsworth managed in 40. Can read the game tactically aware, seems a nice guy.

"We don't overload them with information"

"We won't overwork them in training"

"I 'm not the type to bring them in on a Sunday, I trust them to rest up properly"

"We will come in later on Monday and talk about what the opposition are good at but concentrate on what we want to do"

Common sense from ST. And implied criticism of the previous regime?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

"We don't overload them with information"

"We won't overwork them in training"

"I 'm not the type to bring them in on a Sunday, I trust them to rest up properly"

"We will come in later on Monday and talk about what the opposition are good at but concentrate on what we want to do"

Common sense from ST. And implied criticism of the previous regime?

Thought the exact same. 

Must have been dreadful playing for Unsworth. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Opposition absolutely shite.

No chance we could lose once 1 up.

Very boring. 

Unbeaten in seven. Beat Borehamwood 4-0, Hartlepool 5-2, scored 3 at Solihull and 2 at Eastleigh for draws. 

Why do we have to belittle our own performance? 

Oxford were tidy but toothless. We did what we had to do.

Hope I am bored 4-0 every home game.

• Like 16

7 hours ago, doctor evil said:

HT. Don't want to be accused of being negative but I don't think we've played all that well. These are absolutely hopeless and this is the easiest game we'll get this season. Been sloppy in possession a few times and as a whole I don't think we've done enough with the ball. Would like to see Gardner pushed further forward. We don't need both him and Sheron sat on the halfway line.

FFS they were unbeaten in 7 and we won 4-0

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

l would agree we don't give the subs long enough. at least Hallam did sumat good and got clapped by the main stand, l liked that.

The clown who sits behind me said ' he was on 20 minutes before he touched the ball on Tuesday so I'm going to time how long he takes before his first touch today.' Thereby missing his first touch within 5 seconds of coming on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, astottie said:

The clown who sits behind me said ' he was on 20 minutes before he touched the ball on Tuesday so I'm going to time how long he takes before his first touch today.' Thereby missing his first touch within 5 seconds of coming on.

my fave of the day was 'WOAH was that Sutton passing the ball forwards? he normally only passes to the goalkeeper'

probably should have challenged it but lm not sure even therapy would help him so l just shook my head looked at my mate and laughed.