MATCH: Oxford City (H) 23/09/23

Perhaps we need some new fans as well.   A paraphrase from the Oxford commentary:

"Interesting that two misplaced passes and the Oldham fans are on their backs

Yes,

Mark white said:  keep them quiet for 10 minutes and the crowd turns........"

• Like 1

Good performance. Went a little flat second half but never looked anything other than a regulation 2 nil win (until we scored 3 & 4..)

Oxford were poor, not so much in terms of mistakes they just looked out of their depth and all lost their individual battles. So that's a plus against Latics' performance for me and especially given the unbeaten run Oxford have been on.

Green, Dickenson and Sutton our best performers today. Hobson too although completely untroubled defensively.

17 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

In hindsight we should have got shot after n county at new year when it was clear he had no clue. We’ve treaded water for 9 months but now our season starts. Chesterfield got 15 point start now ffs 

In truth it was staring everyone in the face pretty much from the off. I went to the first 11 games with him in charge... and I`d seen enough. For the record during his first 11 games, we lost 7, drew 3 and won 1. A blind man with a stick could see he simply wasn't cut out for management.

Ah well... upwards and onwards. A great start by Thompson - can't complain at 2 clean sheets, 6 goals and 6 points. Keep it up Mr T - it's a welcome and refreshing change from the utter garbage served up prior.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Punce said:

Perhaps we need some new fans as well.   A paraphrase from the Oxford commentary:

Yes,

being miserable at the match is their right and in these days of equality you could find yourself in trouble for saying that!!

20 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Absolutely. Good the players are good pro’s and played to tactics but it’s clear DU and ebrell and their style was the problem. No one can sit here and say the players weren’t up to it or not playing for him, it was 100% his tactics and style that cost us. In hindsight we should have got shot after n county at new year when it was clear he had no clue. We’ve treaded water for 9 months but now our season starts. Chesterfield got 15 point start now ffs 

6 goals in 2 games and 2 victories, that tells us all we need to know. I didn’t go today but Tuesday we played with attacking intent and still managed to defend better than Unsworths defensive tactics . It really does amaze me that two seasoned pro’s like he and Ebrell couldn’t see the problem. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Wasn't on a par with Tuesday but Oxford were shite, I said we'd score 3 or 4 but we really should of slotted them for a dozen, awful football team.

Let's not forget, though, these have recently stuck 5 past Hartlepool, 4 past Borehamwood and scored 3 away at Solihull in a 3-3 draw. Yes the same Solihull who beat Unsworth's side at BP recently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

Awkward half for the Green bashers. Probably MOTM already.. 🔥 

Not awkward for me.  First half green was the best I've seen of him.  They couldn't live with him and by a country mile our best threat.

Quiet again second half but the whole team sat back for the bulk of it. 

Green has set his benchmark first half and needs to live up to that now. 

First half that was Latics best showing this season.  Second half not so. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, doctor evil said:

HT. Don't want to be accused of being negative but I don't think we've played all that well. These are absolutely hopeless and this is the easiest game we'll get this season. Been sloppy in possession a few times and as a whole I don't think we've done enough with the ball. Would like to see Gardner pushed further forward. We don't need both him and Sheron sat on the halfway line.

You're being negative

40 minutes ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

Got 5 goals from midfield though hasn't he, and looks a shoo-in for Goal of the Season ⚽

Shame he isn't more 'dynamic' 🤭

Shame BP is on read only. He'll be fuming that Dickenson is top scorer. 

37 minutes ago, Punce said:

Yes,

I've (rightly, ahem..) had a year of moaning about Unsworth, but there is a bizarre element who have to find something to moan about.  Overheard a conversation walking out that "Dickenson did NOTHING apart from score two goals..".  Blimey.. 

Absolute training session for us today.  Didn't get out of 2nd gear and didn't need to.  As it should be against part-timers. 

Fine sitting back and taking it easy when you're 2-0 up.  Why stretch yourself when there's no need?  

Think there was one 40+ pass move in the first-half.  Good to see.

Love Green - proper old fashioned winger.  Hobson I reckon might be our most crucial signing.  Dickenson's got a Richardson-esque shot on him.

Professional and impressive team performance.  Miles away from where we were a week ago.  Long may it continue.  HMS PTL moving to calmer waters...

• Like 3

I thought overall we did about as much as we needed to, which isn't a criticism as such. I personally just felt that was a missed opportunity to really throw down a statement victory. That could have been a 6 or 7 nil. This might sound strange after a 4-0 win but I didn't think we created enough clear cut chances, certainly for the possession we had. Definitely in the 2nd half we took our foot off the accelerator and it felt like we were just drifting through the game. It's not a complaint because the game was dead, Oxford offered nothing and I said at HT it's the easiest game of the season. I just think whoever gets the gig needs to instill a ruthlessness to this squad.

As for the players,

Hudson 8 - No drama, distribution is getting better I think, great save at the start of the 2nd half in the scramble.

Sutton 8 - I really feel for him because he doesn't half try, everything defensively (aside from the odd positional lapse in concentration) he does really well. But when he gets to the other end it's just abundantly clear you're looking at a CB.

Hobson 8 - Rock solid again, his pace is a real asset.

Hogan 8 - Same as Hobson minus the pace bit.

Kitching 7 - Maybe not as influential down his side today but always gives his all. Teams will be aware of how much attacking threat he gives.

Green 9 - Was on it from the off today, always popping up in good positions. Took his goal well. Thought he looked very dangerous when moving more central. If he could've put a bit more juice on a few through balls to nuttall he might've been looking at a 10 👀.

Sheron 6 - Usual busy self, defensively solid. Too sideways and backwards. First half especially the CBS were forced into trying to play the balls he should.

Gardner 7 - Was dead after 60 mins but, when he has time on the ball (and time to think), he's one of the best in the division at picking passes. He just needs to calm down a bit and not try to do everything at a million miles an hour. I'd like to see him spin and drive with the ball more.

Dickinson 8 - 8 for a player who scored twice might be harsh but I thought he drifted in and out of the game a bit too much. 2 great finishes though.

Nuttall 6 - Effort was there and had a couple of half chances, link up play just didn't really happen for him today.

Norwood 7 - You can just see his class. Especially when he drops into midfield to collect the ball. Got his goal at the end. Would've liked to see him on the ball a bit more because he always seems to know where the play should go.

Extremely chuffed with the win, really glad Norwood got on the scoresheet [he needed to score and he did] and let's not forget, we ended their unbeaten run and they didn't score, after scoring fifteen goals  on that run.

I'm not getting carried away, it's going to be tough to try and catch the pack at the top because not every game is going to go our way and if Shelton got booed today, well, it kind of undermines the feelgood factor and the other players certainly won't appreciate it.

The crapper for me today was Rochdale getting the last gasp win. :D 

**Edit**
Official report doesn't even mention Shelton coming on for Gardner. 🙄

Edited by Wardie
Shock and awe

I can’t understand any criticism, implied or otherwise, in just two games we have gone from the complete shambles we were under Unsworth and Ebrell into a professional, well organised 4-4-2 that has comfortably won both games without conceding a goal. 

Tommo has done what we should have been doing from day 1 and we have wasted a year with Unsworth in charge!

Two big away games now, both winnable with this squad and if we do win both I would give the job to Tommo until the end of the season. 

• Like 4

I was disappointed that when Shelton came on, we look a bit like the performances in previous games. Shelton tend to drop back nearly into the back 4. We had been engaging them 5 or 10 yards further out until then. Suddenly their mid field had time and space, and for 15 mins we struggled.  Shelton rarely closes inside 5 yards from the man with the ball and tries to block their pass from there. He doesn’t get close enough to influence them. Maybe that can be coached, but he isn’t ready to play at the moment.