MATCH: Oxford City (H) 23/09/23

Maybe surprising to some from yesterday but Oxford had 52% of the possession and failed to register a single shot on target, toothless is probably the best way to describe them.

Thought Alfie Potter played well when he came on and they had two or three of their usual starters missing. Not trying to crab the result just highlighting a couple of facts.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Maybe surprising to some from yesterday but Oxford had 52% of the possession and failed to register a single shot on target, toothless is probably the best way to describe them.

Thought Alfie Potter played well when he came on and they had two or three of their usual starters missing. Not trying to crab the result just highlighting a couple of facts.

The shot on target is incorrect. They had a scramble which led to a clearance off the line followed by a Hudson save, both on target. 

How and why are people trying to play down a 4-0 win 😂. I think Shelton is absolute dross, but why would you boo him on when 2-0 up. Could also hear on the stream people shouting to get it forward when we were 2-0 up and in full control of the game. 

The last point is exactly why we should not be touching Williamson at Gateshead (my preferred choice if possible), because our fan base would not cope with it. 

Baffling and it will hold us back as a club. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Those stats may well be crap. Hudson made a decent save and we definitely blocked one on the line in the second half.

6 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

How and why are people trying to play down a 4-0 win 😂. I think Shelton is absolute dross, but why would you boo him on when 2-0 up. Could also hear on the stream people shouting to get it forward when we were 2-0 up and in full control of the game. 

The last point is exactly why we should not be touching Williamson at Gateshead (my preferred choice if possible), because our fan base would not cope with it. 

I think the "get it forward" shouts were because we'd taken our feet off the gas and were dropping too deep.

Probably "look forward" would have been a better shout.

Regarding Shelton.... some aren't happy unless they've found a boo-boy.

6 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Just crap stats, wasn’t having a go at you btw can only work from the stats you have. Why was Parker on the bench for them ? 

They were saving him for Tuesday apparently and didn't want to risk him, maybe he can't play two games week in, week out?. I thought Parker would cause us problems and was glad when I saw him on the bench. To be fair to Oxford you can see why they score goals as their build up play was actually not to bad, they sat back a bit for me and probably regret not having a go earlier, I still think we would have beaten them but at 2-0 even though we contained them they were still a threat.

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

The 'Unsworth Fear' of throwing away leads to sudden collapses and late goals will take a bit of time to shift from the memory. I think a sustained run of wins, some draws and very few defeats would probably banish it to ancient history. We are just at the beginning, yet again and hopefully we have the 'bouncebackability'. :D 

• Like 4

Are we fit enough? Or too many of our side been out the game too long with injury records?.

The reason I ask this is the fact every game we appear to ease up and or drop too deep and the opposition take control of the ball. 

It's OK providing a side is water tight at the back whilst have the quality up top to score most of the limited chances this brings. 

It worked out yesterday and even bagged 2 addition time goals. 

Edited by Lags

35 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I think the "get it forward" shouts were because we'd taken our feet off the gas and were dropping too deep.

no it was a direct response to the ball moving from their half to ours along the turf between our players' feet and it's defo GERRITFORWARD🤬 or sometimes GERRITBLOODYFORWARD🤬

theyve been there years.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lags said:

Are we fit enough? Or too many of our side been out the game too long with injury records?.

The reason I ask this is the fact every game we appear to ease up and or drop too deep and the opposition take control of the ball. 

It's OK providing a side is water tight at the back whilst have the quality up top to score most of the limited chances this brings. 

its impossible to go full pelt for 90 

2 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

no it was a direct response to the ball moving from their half to ours along the turf between our players' feet and it's defo GERRITFORWARD🤬 or sometimes GERRITBLOODYFORWARD🤬

theyve been there years.

The people who scream get it forward are the same people who complain we have no control of games 😂. Sideways and backwards passing when continually done slowly is frustrating. But keeping the ball as game management and for the players to have a breather is not ! You also need to shift the ball backwards and sideways to create the space to play forward. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

The people who scream get it forward are the same people who complain we have no control of games 😂. Sideways and backwards passing when continually done slowly is frustrating. But keeping the ball as game management and for the players to have a breather is not ! You also need to shift the ball backwards and sideways to create the space to play forward. 

indeed. 

they also 'love to see players run with the ball' but they hate Green. 

l think they love a hoof so they can moan at the striker if he doesnt flick it on for himself and score!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lags said:

Thompson seemed to concede that the opposition will have their period of control in the game and best for Latics to maintain shape and not chase the ball too much. It's not possible to dominate for the full game, unless your team is the likes of Real Madrid etc.

Unsworth's much touted pre-season fitness regime was apparently not all he made it out to be but I think you have a point with a few of the signings not appearing to be match fit.

• Like 1

Imagine where we'd be if Unsworth had been sacked post-Southend? We've lost a decent chunk of the season to someone who was so wildly incompetent, as has been shown in the last two games. We can move on now but it still winds me up.

Onwards and upwards 

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

They aren’t happy unless they’re unhappy 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

theyve been there years.

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

33 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

They aren’t happy unless they’re unhappy 

Look it like this if the only thing we have to complain about is the angry people getting angry for the sake of getting angry. Then yesterday should be seen as a success.

• Thanks 1

Great to see the two games this week with the DU shackles off. It will be interesting to see how the team are going to do in the two away games coming up. Hopefully more of the same positive forward play. Thompson has got more out the players in two games than DU has done for a long time. In hindsight the Bromley defeat gave the DU the push in the end. If we had had a result from that game we would still likely have him in charge.

Onwards and upwards and support all players picked for e team. 

• Like 1