Norwood

15 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

He's like having Luke Beckett without Ritchie Wellens in midfield.

Yep. Even the best strikers on the planet need service. How many would Haaland get without De Bruyne? 

I still think he's played his best football with Nuttall. I know not many on here will agree, but when he's on it he's a decent playmaker. Just a shame like most of our squad he's wildly inconsistent 

9 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I know not many on here will agree, but when he's on it he's a decent playmaker. Just a shame like most of our squad he's wildly inconsistent 

A decent playmaker??? 
A playmaker he is most certainly isn’t!

He’s never on it!

Inconsistent?.. He’s consistently shite!

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

A decent playmaker??? 
A playmaker he is most certainly isn’t!

He’s never on it!

Inconsistent?.. He’s consistently shite!

I did say people wouldn't agree. Let's play more red cards than goals Fondop instead!

Nuttall has been the best player in 2 out of our 5 wins this season. There's definitely something there.

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle

36 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I did say people wouldn't agree. Let's play more red cards than goals Fondop instead!

Nuttall has been the best player in 2 out of our 5 wins this season. There's definitely something there.

We’ll I haven’t seen it and I also don’t think he really wants to be here!!

Apart from his lazy attitude, his first touch is shocking, he doesn’t win his headers, he doesn’t lead the line, and is hardly prolific in front of goal!

Unsworth himself eventually dropped him and the fact that he hasn’t figured since Thompson took over and now can’t even make the bench says a lot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

We’ll I haven’t seen it and I also don’t think he really wants to be here!!

Apart from his lazy attitude, his first touch is shocking, he doesn’t win his headers, he doesn’t lead the line, and is hardly prolific in front of goal!

Unsworth himself eventually dropped him and the fact that he hasn’t figured since Thompson took over and now can’t even make the bench says a lot.

He played against York and scored a great goal but then next few games I think he reverted to type and became anonymous 

15 minutes ago, True Tic said:

He played against York and scored a great goal but then next few games I think he reverted to type and became anonymous 

No doubt, he needs to improve his consistency. I do find it weird the stick he gets compared to Fondop though. Fondop will come on, do nowt, get sent off, and people will say "but he's a nuisance". Aye, he is

15 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Arguably he and Willoughby put on the best forward display of the season against York but we've seen little of either since.

We really are overwhelmed in that area of the pitch and you could probably put three or four pairings out that could do a good job but we've done nothing but chop and change and it looks like we've ended up going with just the one at the minute, until he's able to sort the midfield having conversations about any of our forwards is unfair, if we are going to talk about service the same applies to all five or six of them, similarly with regards to frustration Fondop does get himself sent off but hasn't Norwood had a one match ban already for picking up 5 bookings?. On Tuesday Norwood just look exasperated and was effectively pissing in the wind, we aren't playing to us strengths but when we do he will he flying, as good as he is he can't do the job all on his own.

17 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

No doubt, he needs to improve his consistency. I do find it weird the stick he gets compared to Fondop though. Fondop will come on, do nowt, get sent off, and people will say "but he's a nuisance". Aye, he is

It's the runabout effect. Fondop has it so is given more leeway. Nuttall doesn't runabout enough so therefore people feel they can say he has a lazy attitude despite not knowing him at all.

16 goals last season. Same as Olly Palmer of Wrexham. Picked to play for England C. But yeah, shite, lazy, get rid etc etc.

There are a long list of players at our club who are underperforming which means the team is underperforming. I don't put that down to them all having a bad attitude, or being shite. I put it down to the coaches not having found the best way of playing them all together yet. Mellon's only had 2 games though, I back him to get the most out of the squad.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It's the runabout effect. Fondop has it so is given more leeway. Nuttall doesn't runabout enough so therefore people feel they can say he has a lazy attitude despite not knowing him at all.

16 goals last season. Same as Olly Palmer of Wrexham. Picked to play for England C. But yeah, shite, lazy, get rid etc etc.

There are a long list of players at our club who are underperforming which means the team is underperforming. I don't put that down to them all having a bad attitude, or being shite. I put it down to the coaches not having found the best way of playing them all together yet. Mellon's only had 2 games though, I back him to get the most out of the squad.

Exactly! It's such a simplistic view. People are starting to say it about Norwood too. I don't want a team of Timmy Abrahams, running around like headless chickens. Or getting sent off every other game...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Exactly! It's such a simplistic view. People are starting to say it about Norwood too. I don't want a team of Timmy Abrahams, running around like headless chickens. Or getting sent off every other game...

Neither do I….. Nuttall is a big strong lad but gets pushed off the ball far too easily, when I say he’s lazy, it’s because I think he plays at 50%….he needs to be more focused and stronger in possession as he loses the ball far too easily and then can’t be arsed winning it back.

Norwood shows a little arrogance which I like in a striker but lazy he most definitely isn’t!!

I still think Nuttall is likely to be offloaded quite soon, due to his wages, probably on loan some where, that is, provided we can generate some interest!!

14 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

t's the runabout effect. Fondop has it so is given more leeway. Nuttall doesn't runabout enough so therefore people feel they can say he has a lazy attitude despite not knowing him at all.

That is just tosh. It is more about the threat they pose and simply put Nuttall doesn't look a threat-never really has done for me.

Norwood although not scoring a lot still looks a threat. Fondop the same.

What he did last season has no relevance on how he is playing this season. @Guy Branston Pickle keeps harking back to the Aldershot game  where he made him MOM I think, as I said at the time he never looked like scoring that game and hasn't done since and now rightly he cannot even make the match day squad.

22 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It's not just the runabout effect - Fondop was our top scorer last season (for us) in supposedly an inferior squad with a rubbish manager who didn't know what he was doing.  He also scored the speculative and he scored the tidy finishes (although missed a few too, granted..)

2 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

That is just tosh. It is more about the threat they pose and simply put Nuttall doesn't look a threat-never really has done for me.

What he did last season has no relevance on how he is playing this season. @Guy Branston Pickle keeps harking back to the Aldershot game  where he made him MOM I think, as I said at the time he never looked like scoring that game and hasn't done since and now rightly he cannot even make the match day squad.

Well he has looked like scoring since, since he scored against York and was MotM again...

It’s a tough one with Nuttall, he clearly has ability and can score the odd goal but I definitely think it’s right to question his work rate, not how many miles he covers I mean his positioning, winning headers, hold up play,  first touch all of which have been really poor for the majority of the time I’ve seen him. He needs to use his physical presence to better effect. Fondop is a liability at times but he does win stuff in the air and can bring people into play, for what it’s worth I think he would have changed things on Tuesday if he’d come on, not won it obviously but at least the ball wouldn’t  have just been pinged pointlessly back to Hudson after being kicked out in hope to find Norwoods head. But, that’s just me and my opinion. 

42 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Willoughby was sat in the stadium at another NL club ready to sign for them (presumably on loan) when Steve Thompson phoned him to say he was starting against York the following day...

I find this a bit disturbing ... is this really how we treat our new 'marquee' signing. He hasnt really had a chance !! 

9 minutes ago, True Tic said:

It’s a tough one with Nuttall, he clearly has ability and can score the odd goal but I definitely think it’s right to question his work rate, not how many miles he covers I mean his positioning, winning headers, hold up play,  first touch all of which have been really poor for the majority of the time I’ve seen him. He needs to use his physical presence to better effect. Fondop is a liability at times but he does win stuff in the air and can bring people into play, for what it’s worth I think he would have changed things on Tuesday if he’d come on, not won it obviously but at least the ball wouldn’t  have just been pinged pointlessly back to Hudson after being kicked out in hope to find Norwoods head. But, that’s just me and my opinion. 

Totally agree, he absolutely needs to improve, as do all our strikers. A lack of consistency in the line up and formations won't help any of them. But I do think the stick he gets is massively unfair.

9 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Totally agree, he absolutely needs to improve, as do all our strikers. A lack of consistency in the line up and formations won't help any of them. But I do think the stick he gets is massively unfair.

Absolutely, booing him onto the field is madness. I was vey close to the players on Tuesday as many of us were and I saw Hudsons head drop instantly when he started getting grief from the fans. I’m not defending him or any of them for that display but I felt for him at the time. 

21 hours ago, PeteG said:

Think we need to move on from Gardner tbh. I didn't particularly rate him first time around albeit that was in League 1 and in his prime he could run a game at this level. However, he's not in his prime, he's never really recovered from the injury in the final home game of the season when we were relegated from league 1 and that is what nearly 5 years ago? How many games has he played in the last 5 years? Great, if we can get a dozen decent games out of him between now and the end of the season but we can't rely on him or pin our hopes on him and i'm certain Mellon won't be doing. I'd see any involvement from Gardner this season as a bonus and i'd be showing him the door in May. 

He is our best option at the moment though (when fit). We need to manage him while we have no other options as he is not going to be fit enough to play 3 games a week. 

If we 'move on from him' we end up with Shelton and Sheron in midfield. A combination that has never won a game.

We can't move on until we have a better option. Which I am all for but we need a replacement or better options first.

Agree about letting him go in May as he isn't playing enough games. We need to a ball playing midfielder. Danny Boshell. 

Just now, True Tic said:

Absolutely, booing him onto the field is madness. I was vey close to the players on Tuesday as many of us were and I saw Hudsons head drop instantly when he started getting grief from the fans. I’m not defending him or any of them for that display but I felt for him at the time. 

Picking out players individually doesn't help anybody, especially coming off the back of a good run. Shelton got booed on one game whilst we were winning! He's not good, but no player deserves that

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

If it's not this thing of perceived effort, why does Fondop look like a threat to you but Nuttall doesn't?