Norwood

58 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Wonder if any of you watched the recent Rugby Union World Cup?

What a difference in how the players conduct themselves and their attitude to referees. Christ when I see some of those tackles and compare to how footballers react!!!

There are many things that annoy me about Rugby Union but one of them is most certainly their adoption of the moral high ground.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Let’s get on the back of our best player and top goalscorer. Good idea. 

You just going to ignore everything he does which is leading by example or ? 

Who's getting on his back. I just don't like grown men behaving like children ( who, incidentally, do grow up to be adults mostly !). 

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

There are many things that annoy me about Rugby Union but one of them is most certainly their adoption of the moral high ground.

It’s the whole rugby players don’t react like that when they get tackled argument that gets me. 

Of course they don’t, there is no benefit for them to pretend to be hurt when they get tackled. Football players do it to win fouls or to ensure they get the foul (if you agree with it or not). 

Also, rugby fans are no better than any football fans. Spoken from multiple experiences when going to Cardiff for six nations. 

Don’t even get me started on the weird male rugby banter. Bloody strange people. 

9 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

You mean because they occupy it compared to footie?

There's a very fair point in relation to attitude to refs but they also bang on about how honest it is and how much footballers cheat.  In the same sentence they'll take pride in the 'dark arts' of rugby- which in any other language are cheating.  Wouldn't cross the road to watch it

Edited by Dave_Og

It probably is fair to say that Rugby Union players are generally better at influencing the ref and it is done in a respectful way. It's wrong to say they don't exaggerate perceived foul play to win penalties, they clearly do.

But they definitely don't spit their dummy and subject referee's to foul mouthed tirades like you see (and hear) in football,  

37 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

It’s the whole rugby players don’t react like that when they get tackled argument that gets me. 

i wouldn't highlight that part of it.

For me it is their reaction to decisions-I only watch international rugby but what struck me is how they just get on with the game no matter how controversial or important the decision is. None of this surrounding the ref, contesting decisions or pleading innocence we have to put up with in footie.

What tees me off in football is punditry that refuses to acknowledge blatant cheating.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

For me it is their reaction to decisions-I only watch international rugby but what struck me is how they just get on with the game no matter how controversial or important the decision is. None of this surrounding the ref, contesting decisions or pleading innocence we have to put up with in footie.

What tees me off in football is punditry that refuses to acknowledge blatant cheating.

Don’t rugby union referees wear mics which are connected to what gets broadcasted ? Hence we can hear the ref when they are explaining a penalty in rugby to the players. 

That would naturally put them all off abusing the ref.

I struggle to believe that the population of rugby players as a whole are more respectful than the population of footballers. 

We don't need to bootlick rugby union players because they went to private schools. 

The end of the South Africa England game shows that when emotions are high people will act without thinking. 

Rugby players don't pretend to be injured, no but they stamp on other players and stick their fingers up their arses to gain an advantage. 

People will do whatever they can do to win. You need competent referees to stop them from doing it. 

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

Isn't there a rule that if they argue with the ref then the penalty gets moved forward 10 yards? Think this happened in an England game where it put the kick for the opposition in range. Don't see why that can't be introduced in football. Would probably get similar results.

7 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Isn't there a rule that if they argue with the ref then the penalty gets moved forward 10 yards? Think this happened in an England game where it put the kick for the opposition in range. Don't see why that can't be introduced in football. Would probably get similar results.

It was several seasons ago then quietly dropped 

5 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

Nope, nzlatic is right, this happened very recently in first half of the semi final between England and SA when Owen Farrell said something to the ref, the ref moved it forwards 10m and they kicked it for 3 points. 

Thanks, that's the incident I was thinking of.

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Don’t rugby union referees wear mics which are connected to what gets broadcasted ? Hence we can hear the ref when they are explaining a penalty in rugby to the players. 

That would naturally put them all off abusing the ref.

I struggle to believe that the population of rugby players as a whole are more respectful than the population of footballers. 

I would be happy to see that trialled in the PL-don't think it would make a damn bit of difference to them. Self opinionated cheats the lot of them.(not just the PL).

As for your last point-well I watched several of the world cup games and the difference between the 2 sports is remarkable.

Anyway enough of this on the Norwood thread.

1 hour ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

Nope, nzlatic is right, this happened very recently in first half of the semi final between England and SA when Owen Farrell said something to the ref, the ref moved it forwards 10m and they kicked it for 3 points. 

56 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

I would be happy to see that trialled in the PL-don't think it would make a damn bit of difference to them. Self opinionated cheats the lot of them.(not just the PL).

As for your last point-well I watched several of the world cup games and the difference between the 2 sports is remarkable.

Already been trialled in football moving it forwards ten yards. Changed nowt. Got binned

1 hour ago, peanuts2 said:

It was several seasons ago then quietly dropped 

1 hour ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

52 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

@peanuts2's point was that a 10 yard penalty for backchat was adopted in football in a lower level competition, possibly the Anglo-Italian Cup or the EFL trophy, currently sponsored by a Pizza company. It was then quietly dropped. I'm fairly certain I saw the rule enforced at Boundary Park at least once.

It didn't last long possibly because there was only a maximum 10 yard penalty, unlike in Rugby where the penalty can continue to be enforced. Also I don't think a 10 yard difference 60 yards from goal makes that much of a difference in football but it does in Rugby.

Personally I think referees should be given the freedom to leave games abandoned due to 7 men and with subsequent points deductions for continued disrespect. Shame it didn't happen on Sunday in Trafford.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Nobody actually enjoys Rugby Union. They just pretend to to feel superior to football fans. It's all they ever go on about

Dreadful sport. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

It was introduced in football   in 2000 as an experiment  for dissent at free kicks kick could be moved 10 yards and card issued 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Nobody actually enjoys Rugby Union. They just pretend to to feel superior to football fans. It's all they ever go on about

Dreadful sport. 

No skill involved in rugby. Not the same as in football. Boring sport played by weirdos (who could all knock me out)

Did Norwood get carded for dissent on Saturday then? There was a moment where Alty players surrounded the ref after they got given a free kick but ref did nothing so I thought they'd relaxed that rule. It was completely opposite to how Kitching was dealt with against York (I think).