Norwood

17 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

The ref had a word with McGahey in the first and asked him to tell Norwood to pipe down or be booked.

Constantly whinging at the ref can be counterproductive so the ref showed a bit of sense at least that once on Saturday. The rest of his performance was dire, players feigning head injuries whilst defending their penalty areas*, falling down with little or no physical contact and, although the penalty was debateable, he couldn't wait to give it instead of waiting a bit to give it more consideration.

* If a player goes down and play gets stopped the mandatory 30 second rule should apply, if they go down holding their head they should be taken off the field and fully assessed the same as rugby players.

3 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Constantly whinging at the ref can be counterproductive so the ref showed a bit of sense at least that once on Saturday. The rest of his performance was dire, players feigning head injuries whilst defending their penalty areas*, falling down with little or no physical contact and, although the penalty was debateable, he couldn't wait to give it instead of waiting a bit to give it more consideration.

* If a player goes down and play gets stopped the mandatory 30 second rule should apply, if they go down holding their head they should be taken off the field and fully assessed the same as rugby players.

The head injury rule defo needs looking at, it’s easily abused. 

One of the Alti players stayed down after heading the football. I’m sorry, I know heading can hurt and CAN cause damage. But you can’t stop play because they have headed a football and pretending it hurt to much. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trickyrickyholden said:

As others have said, if the referee stops play due to a head injury the player should have to leave the field for x mins. Maybe x = 5 ?

If football is going to do that. Then head injury assessment substitutions need to be introduced.

Concussions need to be taken seriously but to do that then (temporary) substitutions need to be introduced.

As the Jose and Chelsea doctor fiasco highlighted football managers are too concerned with winning games. Clinical staff must have other priorities and those priorities can cause conflict.

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Not very well worded, a lot of that.  
The FA has very similar head injury/concussion assessment protocols and return to play protocols. They are regularly reviewed and modified. I think we are on SCAT6 now!

The real issues are that the referees do the first assessment and aren’t necessarily good at doing it.  I have seen clearly stunned players assessed by the ref and after quite a long 30 seconds the physio is not allowed on. The player is saying “I’m alright” so he doesn’t have to go off. And other times when there was only a weak slap and the player it clearly putting it on.  Really more should be seen by the doctor. Maybe having a 3 minute assessment by the doctor off the pitch will be enough deterrent to players faking head injury.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

There is a quite big difference between a suspension for picking up 5 yellows and getting sent off every 5 games...

But have Norwoods indiscretions been any less petulant / stupid? It's not like he's a battling ball-winning midfielder is it? 

32 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Which game?

Norwood was suspended for the home win against York City (hang on...). His discipline has been much better since his suspension although this is mirrored throughout the whole team and may reflect referees cooling off a little in respect of cards.

There's a range of views on this but I think his body language is appalling for a senior pro.

I don't know any walk of life where berating and disrespecting someone in the way some players, including Norwood, behave towards referees will win you any favours.

Get the ref onside, butter them up, have a chat. That's when you'll get the benefit of the doubt.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Disagree. Referees are doing their best and deserve respect.

The one on Saturday deserves nothing. Had no control and made it about himself. Should be disciplined. Think I’ve read it not his first game this season he’s been that shambolic. 

Edited by LightDN123
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

The one on Saturday deserves nothing. Had no control and made it about himself. Should be disciplined. Think I’ve read it not his first game this season he’s been that shambolic. 

Whether they deserve respect or not constant whinging gets a booking or worse. 

It's not a very professional attitude, more schoolboy than experienced pro. 👎

1 hour ago, Ackey said:

But have Norwoods indiscretions been any less petulant / stupid? It's not like he's a battling ball-winning midfielder is it? 

I think you could argue Norwoods bookings have been more through frustration. And my point originally was that a suspension hurts the team far less than getting sent off 40 minutes into a game and then having a suspension.

26 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Let’s get on the back of our best player and top goalscorer. Good idea. 

You just going to ignore everything he does which is leading by example or ? 

Edited by LightDN123

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Sadly it’s rife in football, I recall so many times prior to VAR “pundits “ lambasting the referees decisions In games. Then VAR arrives and that gets criticised. Can’t win really. Don’t know why anyone would want to be a referee. 
That said, some of the officials in NL need some retraining . Saturday was another poor display from a referee. 

56 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

I think you could argue Norwoods bookings have been more through frustration. And my point originally was that a suspension hurts the team far less than getting sent off 40 minutes into a game and then having a suspension.

Can you not argue the same for Fondop?

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Wonder if any of you watched the recent Rugby Union World Cup?

What a difference in how the players conduct themselves and their attitude to referees. Christ when I see some of those tackles and compare to how footballers react!!!