Norwood

29 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

@Dave_Og  recently reminded me too much watching on tv is no substitution for being there. this joke of a post is eactly why (even if Mr Og is too so far fully unsold on Wazza)

you have answered your own question.

either get to games or stick to assisting incels in their momss Lofty/basement

It's a respectful debate as far as I can see.  Is anybody really 100% convinced about him yet? 

12 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It's a respectful debate as far as I can see.  Is anybody really 100% convinced about him yet? 

Yeah I’m 100% convinced it’s the players around him that’s the issue. 

Go have a look at his scoring record. Hitting the ball to his head with Sheron and Shelton not even getting close to him is the issue. - look at how good he was leading the line V Rochdale when they got close to him and supported him. 

He moans, because he expects more. He also talks the players through the games and is a leader. He also works very hard. He’s 33, he’s not going to sprint around all game ffs. Give him a chance, he will more than likely score. 

We don’t have a midfielder who can control a game and not had a right back for 12 months, yet a proven goal scorer from leagues above is the issue. Baffling, absolutely baffling. 

Oh yeah, and he’s our top scorer.

Edited by LightDN123

Putting it in very simple terms, Norwood is the best player in the squad by a country mile. He's the only one who I feel could comfortably play in League 2 or 1. We need to build a team around him and get the best out of his strengths and I'm sure Mellon will be looking to do that. If we somehow made the play-offs and got promoted this team is nowhere near good enough to stay up in League 2, it would need a complete overhaul, the exception being Norwood. How many other players would you feel comfortable keeping to play at a higher level? Hobson on potential, possibly Kitching could do a job but that's about it. Norwood is the 1st name on the team sheet for me, anyone who thinks differently doesn't really know much about football.

24 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

oh l know. but we arent taking TV opinions. he is massively invaluable he is the players player. people hated Wazza for exact the same reason. clearly shouldnt be playin all game every game every damn game. that l'll concede and we need Micky to be strong here.

l listened out for it on sat then went n stood wiv them n made them watch!! they converted. if you post on here hi and do you know that lad who went down is he OK?

general post not just to Oggy, l'm sorry l get so 🤬🤬🤬 about this. l'll somewhere else for a bit bc l can not offer anymore than this.

Edited by Monty Burns

My hot takes are that people thought we were getting v. 2018 Norwood and we've got v. 2023 Norwood.

His body language is appalling, that must affect at least some of his teammates.

We've got at least 4 potential strike partners for him, be nice to actually see if one of them can team up with him

His career GTG ratio is about 1 in 3 and that's what he's provided thus far.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Typical Oldham fans who just want a player who will not say a word and just run around like a fucking chicken. 

Not one person has said that. 

35 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

yet a proven goal scorer from leagues above is the issue. Baffling, absolutely baffling. 

No one has said that either. 

He’s the best footballer at the club by a mile,  but you can’t drop two leagues and throw your hands up every two minutes because they’re not on your level. . . well no shit. 

What frustrates me, is when we’re winning or in the game - he’s at it, he encourages, he leads by example. As soon as we struggle, or go behind the hands come up, and he starts bitching at other players. 

When your best player starts sulking it definitely has an effect on the team. 

When your best players is encouraging and leading by example it drags others with him. 

We need his ability, but we also need his experience and leadership. 

• Like 2

It’s a very similar thing in the becks doc. 

He went to LA for the money, got there and thought wtf is this- and he couldn’t be arsed. Which pissed the players off. He got his head right and started brining his best game and they won the league. 

In short- he stopped being a Billy big bollocks and led by example. 

17 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Not one person has said that. 

No one has said that either. 

He’s the best footballer at the club by a mile,  but you can’t drop two leagues and throw your hands up every two minutes because they’re not on your level. . . well no shit. 

What frustrates me, is when we’re winning or in the game - he’s at it, he encourages, he leads by example. As soon as we struggle, or go behind the hands come up, and he starts bitching at other players. 

When your best player starts sulking it definitely has an effect on the team. 

When your best players is encouraging and leading by example it drags others with him. 

We need his ability, but we also need his experience and leadership. 

The last bit is incorrect. 

He was fumming when Lundstram didn’t slip him in. He was fumming when Sutton got in the way, both times winning. He was also annoyed after the game, after we had won and he had encouraged the team through the game. 

He’s a winner. He wants to score and annoyed if he doesn’t. I’ll take that from

my striker any day of the week. 

Shelton could have played him through on Tuesday and didn’t. So he shouted at him, because he knows he would have scored. Shelton didn’t hit the target. 

42 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

His body language is appalling, that must affect at least some of his teammates.

Shouldn’t have too much effect as generally there’s nobody near enough to him to be able to determine his body language!!😆

Posts hidden.   No one needs to be attacked for their opinion, equally no one is a more valid member of this board than anyone else - you're all welcome equally if you can behave like mature adults. 

Knock it off or the mod-preview stick is coming out. 

4 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Is it? Some see disinterest, I see frustration. Which I totally get.

Maybe he needs to look at why he's so easily dispossessed and his distribution has been so poor. But to be fair to him he's best in the penalty area where he rarely receives the ball.

His goal at Rochdale showed that.

Edited by BP1960

19 hours ago, pcassist said:

As most of you know I don't post much, but I'm an avid reader on OWTB. I've only managed a couple of home games this year (as I now live 130x miles away from Boudary Park in Worcester). However, I have managed to watch all the available games on the National League for the UK watchers My point is what does Norwood bring to the team? He appears to run around the pitch like a headless chicken, never beats defenders and never ever wins a header. OK, he might score a few goals, but nothing like I was expecting. Maybe his teammates hear what he's supposed to be being paid and don't like it. Just my thoughts and I'm not looking for an argument, but big Mikey has more get up and go in him than JN could only hope to have. Lofty (ex PC Assist)

I have avoided reading the thread as I think the opinions of others can sway my own. My take on Norwood is that we have been given an option up front which many other teams would bite our hand off for. We also have at least two other strikers who I feel would walk into any team in this league. With age and experience comes expectation from both the player and the fans. He obviously wants to score as many goals as he can and for that, he needs to be greedy, needs the service and a good, consistent strike partner. As I see it, he isn't getting either on a regular basis.

You may have seen his tweet when Mellon joined, a manager who he worked with previously and whose style of play Norwood probably feels will benefit him. We have to give that time because it isn't going to happen overnight and Norwood has to re-establish his relationship and understanding with the manager. It's Mellon's job to get the players to provide the service he and his strike partner will need.

To me, Norwood is a big, big fish for this league and Latics have to utilise his skills and experience otherwise we have a very expensive [I assume] 'white elephant' in the room. Fondop is a brute of a striker, however, he is a liability when starting games and I would much rather he came on from the bench to attack tiring defences.

I'd rather Norwood be with Latics than one of our rivals in this league.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I have avoided reading the thread as I think the opinions of others can sway my own. My take on Norwood is that we have been given an option up front which many other teams would bite our hand off for. We also have at least two other strikers who I feel would walk into any team in this league. With age and experience comes expectation from both the player and the fans. He obviously wants to score as many goals as he can and for that, he needs to be greedy, needs the service and a good, consistent strike partner. As I see it, he isn't getting either on a regular basis.

You may have seen his tweet when Mellon joined, a manager who he worked with previously and whose style of play Norwood probably feels will benefit him. We have to give that time because it isn't going to happen overnight and Norwood has to re-establish his relationship and understanding with the manager. It's Mellon's job to get the players to provide the service he and his strike partner will need.

To me, Norwood is a big, big fish for this league and Latics have to utilise his skills and experience otherwise we have a very expensive [I assume] 'white elephant' in the room. Fondop is a brute of a striker, however, he is a liability when starting games and I would much rather he came on from the bench to attack tiring defences.

I'd rather Norwood be with Latics than one of our rivals in this league.

Anyne know what style/formation he previously played under Mellon?

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

If he wanted players on his level, he should have stayed at Barnsley. . 

But wait- we offered more money. 

So if he’s happy to take the money, he should be happy to adapt to the level, and lead by example. Not throw his arms up - with a ‘why is everyone around me so shit’ 

Do we actually know Latics offered more money? As a striker of his age maybe he thought a drop down would benefit his game to goals ratio and be less punishing on his body. A good way to play out a career.

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Anyne know what style/formation he previously played under Mellon?

Norwood talked about Mellon on a podcast and he said his style varied all the time, it was about winning primarily. I very much get the impression having listened to both Norwood and Mellon as well as Tranmere fans, it was very much a case of getting the ball to Norwood in and around the penalty box however that meant. He did the rest. I've every confidence Mellon will get the best out of him even though I still think he's been our best player by miles over the course of the season so far despite the limited service he's had. He has come short when needed to, linked the play, ran in behind and been a threat whenever he's had the ball in or around the penalty box. Remember, opposition will most definitely see him as our main threat and feel if they can keep him quiet they have a chance of winning the game. This in theory should give the other players more space and time, it's about time some of them stepped up. We may have issues within the team/squad, Norwood certainly isn't one of them!

3 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Norwood talked about Mellon on a podcast and he said his style varied all the time, it was about winning primarily. I very much get the impression having listened to both Norwood and Mellon as well as Tranmere fans, it was very much a case of getting the ball to Norwood in and around the penalty box however that meant. He did the rest. I've every confidence Mellon will get the best out of him even though I still think he's been our best player by miles over the course of the season so far despite the limited service he's had. He has come short when needed to, linked the play, ran in behind and been a threat whenever he's had the ball in or around the penalty box. Remember, opposition will most definitely see him as our main threat and feel if they can keep him quiet they have a chance of winning the game. This in theory should give the other players more space and time, it's about time some of them stepped up. We may have issues within the team/squad, Norwood certainly isn't one of them!

Bloody hell Pete we agree on something.  (Again I believe ?) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Do we actually know Latics offered more money? As a striker of his age maybe he thought a drop down would benefit his game to goals ratio and be less punishing on his body. A good way to play out a career.

Barnsley Chairman told the fans at a forum that we made an offer they couldn't match. I'm sure they could have matched it but it was more a case of not choosing to match it whether that was in terms of money per month or length of contract nobody knows. I'm sure at his age, he probably looked at a contract over 3 years as security and I think when you take into account the length of contract we were offering more. I do think the wage has been exaggerated somewhat, I'm led to believe it's in the region of £4k - £5k per week with a hefty bonus if we get promoted. Worth every penny if he does get the goals to get us up.