Norwood

14 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

If you were at Newport yesterday…

You would have seen an experienced striker put the ball wide of goal when he should have scored first half, hesitate and fail to get his shot away when through on goal second half.

You would have seen a player on his heels for a lot of the game, often not challenging for the ball when played forward.

There is no denying that he can score goals but yesterday was not his finest performance by a long way.

I’ve not seen anything to do with the game. If he had a bad game then fair enough. Players miss chances all the time.

Hes still not the issue. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I was going to reply, but you completely lost me when you said Fondop and Reid should start over Norwood. 

But replied anyway, aye?

I'm not really after anyone's validation, to be honest.  It's a point of view that I know a lot of people won't agree with.

I think Nowrood's a luxury who gives the vibe that he doesn't want to be here.  If he takes every chance that comes his way - fine, because he doesn't offer anything else to the team.  But if he's missing the only chances we get like he did yesterday, there's no point having him in the side.

Fondop was our top scorer last season in a rubbish team and is the only striker we have who can score the speculative and create chances for himself.  So yes, I'd rather have him and Reid starting (Reid who did more in the first 10 seconds of him being on yesterday than Norwood did in 85 minutes..).

Edited by JoeP

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

But replied anyway, aye?

I'm not really after anyone's validation, to be honest.  It's a point of view that I know a lot of people won't agree with.

I think Nowrood's a luxury who gives the vibe that he doesn't want to be here.  If he takes every chance that comes his way - fine, because he doesn't offer anything else to the team.  But if he's missing the only chances we get like he did yesterday, there's no point having him in the side.

Fondop was our top scorer last season in a rubbish team and is the only striker we have who can score the speculative and create chances for himself.  So yes, I'd rather have him and Reid starting (Reid who did more in the first 10 seconds of him being on yesterday than Norwood did in 85 minutes..).

How does he create chances for himself? I can only remember an overhead and him whacking a couple in from range last season and they probably had something to do with Unsworth’s direct style leading to aerial battles and the ball bouncing about around the area. 

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

How does he create chances for himself? I can only remember an overhead and him whacking a couple in from range last season and they probably had something to do with Unsworth’s direct style leading to aerial battles and the ball bouncing about around the area. 

Or possibly because he can actually score from range?  Do you not think that would benefit the current team?

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Or possibly because he can actually score from range?  Do you not think that would benefit the current team?

Norwood has 7 in 13, Fondop scored twice from long range last season?

Sheron has done that this season. So has Dickenson. Do we really need to swap Norwood for Fondop because he might score from long range every dozen games or something?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Norwood has 7 in 13, Fondop scored twice from long range last season?

Sheron has done that this season. So has Dickenson. Do we really need to swap Norwood for Fondop because he might score from long range every dozen games or something?

And probably from close range as well. 

Norwood wants everything on a plate. There are occasions where that isn't going to be possible and we need a striker who offers something else (especially when the chips are down) in my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Norwood wants everything on a plate. There are occasions where that isn't going to be possible and we need a striker who offers something else (especially when the chips are down) in my opinion. 

Completely disagree with this. His goals against Accrington, Rochdale and Aldershot wernt ‘on a plate’ yet he buried them. 

Genuinely can’t believe we are in a position where we are arguing over a Sunday league player hitting double figures three times in his career to a lad who hits double figures yearly and is on for 20+ if he continues his 1 in 2 ratio. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steve_R said:

I’m in the middle with Norwood. He’d be in my team every week as he’s better than the other strikers we have, and if we created more chances he’d score more goals. But he has to do more.

I don’t get the ‘he’s our leading scorer’ argument in his defence either. The main striker should always be the top scorer, especially as he starts pretty much every game. Seven goals is nothing spectacular anyway. Look at the leading goalscorers list in our division, and there’s plenty on more than him playing for lesser teams.

We need to find a way to get the best out of Norwood, but he also has to get the best out of us.

I’m definitely in the Norwood in camp, but he must do better.

He will do better given better quality service. Our winger play currently is shocking yet he is still giving us a goal every two games. Better quality wing play with give him more chances and more goals. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

But he’s still part of the problem…

It seems like the whole team is part of the problem or rather, they are not currently the team to take the club back into the football league. When that team will be assembled, who knows? I myself have resigned to probably more seasons in this division, both the team and the club don't appear to be ready or capable just yet.

18 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

He will do better given better quality service. Our winger play currently is shocking yet he is still giving us a goal every two games. Better quality wing play with give him more chances and more goals. 

The best players will also create their own chances. 
Im not knocking him, I think presently he’s our only chance of getting out of this shithole of a league, but he shouldn’t be beyond criticism and I was expecting more from him.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We seemingly have about 4 other ‘strikers’ who offer something else yet they’re all partly responsible for the position we find ourselves in right now.

Norwood is not going to beat three or four players and slide the ball into the net!
He is a poacher and was brought in to score goals and if he gets proper service he’ will……all strikers miss chances, but 7 in 13 in a very poor side suggests he is doing just that!!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Completely disagree with this. His goals against Accrington, Rochdale and Aldershot wernt ‘on a plate’ yet he buried them. 

Genuinely can’t believe we are in a position where we are arguing over a Sunday league player hitting double figures three times in his career to a lad who hits double figures yearly and is on for 20+ if he continues his 1 in 2 ratio. 

Altrincham?  I'd say that falls into the "on a plate" category..

I'm not really arsed about what he's done for other clubs.  It's a completely different kettle of fish here, where he's surrounded by lesser players and he's going to have to work harder.  As I say - I'm not arguing about his stats, but they don't tell the whole story.  With his supposed superior quality, you'd want to him to come up trumps when the team are struggling, not just when they're doing well.  Yesterday he had our only two golden chances and completely ballsed them up.

Pleased for him that he scored 20 odd goals for Tranmere, Barnsley, Real Madrid or whoever, but we're a poor team who will struggle for long periods most games and it isn't the same set-up as where he's been a success.  The minimum we should expect for such a highly rated player is for him to come up with the goods when things aren't going well and - yesterday for example - not only did he miss his chances when we needed him to score the most, he offered very little else to the team.

I - at the moment- think Fondop will cause the opposition more problems.  Sorry... 🤷‍♂️

27 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Altrincham?  I'd say that falls into the "on a plate" category..

I'm not really arsed about what he's done for other clubs.  It's a completely different kettle of fish here, where he's surrounded by lesser players and he's going to have to work harder.  As I say - I'm not arguing about his stats, but they don't tell the whole story.  With his supposed superior quality, you'd want to him to come up trumps when the team are struggling, not just when they're doing well.  Yesterday he had our only two golden chances and completely ballsed them up.

Pleased for him that he scored 20 odd goals for Tranmere, Barnsley, Real Madrid or whoever, but we're a poor team who will struggle for long periods most games and it isn't the same set-up as where he's been a success.  The minimum we should expect for such a highly rated player is for him to come up with the goods when things aren't going well and - yesterday for example - not only did he miss his chances when we needed him to score the most, he offered very little else to the team.

I - at the moment- think Fondop will cause the opposition more problems.  Sorry... 🤷‍♂️

None of our strikers would have played the one / two with the RB before repositioning themselves and driving it into the roof of the net, none of them have that calm head. 

How many strikers with a decent record for us do you remember who did loads of running tracking back etc? Doesn’t happen. Beckett, Porter, Hughes all were limited but did things well and scored goals. Running around a lot doesn’t make you a good player. 

His previous goals are relevant as he has produced year on year and is continuing to do so. I couldn’t care less how much running he does, if he continues to bag (which is his job) I’m happy and I’m sure the manager will be. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

The best players will also create their own chances. 
Im not knocking him, I think presently he’s our only chance of getting out of this shithole of a league, but he shouldn’t be beyond criticism and I was expecting more from him.

He did create the chance in the second half yesterday - pressuring the defender and nicking the ball. He was through on goal but to then not take the shot was baffling.

I don't think Norwood is a problem at all. Our fundamental issues remain in midfield. Probably be castigated for this but I`ve been disappointed with Lundstram thus far. Not done very much after all the hype about him.

We need a Wellens type midfielder - in fact a couple - who can weave a bit of magic and thread balls through to feet for Norwood; who will more than not, then find the back of the net. I`m fine with Sheron in midfield (a proper workhorse) but he needs complementing with creative players around him.

As for Fondop - I really do think we miss a trick here. Superb to bring on with half hour left. He's like a wrecking ball that doesn't half upset central defenders and will create plenty of havoc for a) Norwood to feed off and b) bag a few himself.

If we can offload Shelton, Nuttall and a couple of fringe players then just maybe we could find the funds to secure a couple of midfield gems.

Lastly, I hope MM finds his feet sooner rather than later because, prior to his appointment, I thought we were doing okay with ST at the helm and instantly unbeaten in 6 games. I couldn't see any issues with giving him longer to see how it panned out. Suddenly, everything seemed quite rushed and him and NR were gone. Clearly some internal issues.

MM has our full backing but he needs to get a settled side and stamp his authority and style on it pretty rapidly. Our performances under him have been quite erratic to date.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

None of our strikers would have played the one / two with the RB before repositioning themselves and driving it into the roof of the net, none of them have that calm head. 

How many strikers with a decent record for us do you remember who did loads of running tracking back etc? Doesn’t happen. Beckett, Porter, Hughes all were limited but did things well and scored goals. Running around a lot doesn’t make you a good player. 

His previous goals are relevant as he has produced year on year and is continuing to do so. I couldn’t care less how much running he does, if he continues to bag (which is his job) I’m happy and I’m sure the manager will be. 

All part of good teams - like Norwood has been when he's scored his goals.  We're not a good team at the moment and unfortunately having someone who's sole attribute is the ability to finish (discounting yesterday, which contradicts this theory of Norwood..) is a bit of luxury.  We need someone who can come deep and do some of the dirty work too at the moment and Norwood doesn't do that IMO.

12 minutes ago, JoeP said:

All part of good teams - like Norwood has been when he's scored his goals.  We're not a good team at the moment and unfortunately having someone who's sole attribute is the ability to finish (discounting yesterday, which contradicts this theory of Norwood..) is a bit of luxury.  We need someone who can come deep and do some of the dirty work too at the moment and Norwood doesn't do that IMO.

So bring someone in who doesn’t score a lot of goals just to contribute more doing things that doesn’t regularly contribute to scoring goals? I’m confused 😂 

Think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

So bring someone in who doesn’t score a lot of goals just to contribute more doing things that doesn’t regularly contribute to scoring goals? I’m confused 😂 

Think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. 

Just someone who'll offer something - anything - when the chips are down, not just when they're up.

Yes I think we are! 👍

45 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

I don't think Norwood is a problem at all. Our fundamental issues remain in midfield. Probably be castigated for this but I`ve been disappointed with Lundstram thus far. Not done very much after all the hype about him.

We need a Wellens type midfielder - in fact a couple - who can weave a bit of magic and thread balls through to feet for Norwood; who will more than not, then find the back of the net. I`m fine with Sheron in midfield (a proper workhorse) but he needs complementing with creative players around him.

As for Fondop - I really do think we miss a trick here. Superb to bring on with half hour left. He's like a wrecking ball that doesn't half upset central defenders and will create plenty of havoc for a) Norwood to feed off and b) bag a few himself.

If we can offload Shelton, Nuttall and a couple of fringe players then just maybe we could find the funds to secure a couple of midfield gems.

Lastly, I hope MM finds his feet sooner rather than later because, prior to his appointment, I thought we were doing okay with ST at the helm and instantly unbeaten in 6 games. I couldn't see any issues with giving him longer to see how it panned out. Suddenly, everything seemed quite rushed and him and NR were gone. Clearly some internal issues.

MM has our full backing but he needs to get a settled side and stamp his authority and style on it pretty rapidly. Our performances under him have been quite erratic to date.

Couldn’t agree more on Fondop, I still find it odd to leave him out . He was scoring goals in a very poor team last year. He harangues the opposition, can win a header unlike Nuttall. He’s not great obviously but who is amongst this lot? A few matches recently I think he’d have added something positive late on. It surprises me this isn’t considered. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Couldn’t agree more on Fondop, I still find it odd to leave him out . He was scoring goals in a very poor team last year. He harangues the opposition, can win a header unlike Nuttall. He’s not great obviously but who is amongst this lot? A few matches recently I think he’d have added something positive late on. It surprises me this isn’t considered. 

noun
plural noun: harangues
  1. a lengthy and aggressive speech.

2.If someone harangues you, they try to persuade you to accept their opinions or ideas in a forceful way.