Meet the Manager

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

How is he hiding behind a process? The process still happened and approaching managers was clearly a part of that. If Mellon had said no we wouldn’t have been back to square 1.

Head hunting and interviewing are two different things- no? 

One is about who you really want. 

The other is about who you will accept. 

If you went for a job after being asked to apply would you think you had advantage over the others who are ‘going through the process?’ 

28 minutes ago, League one forever said:

That’s that then. 😂😂

In my view- they head hunted Unsy and it didn’t work out. The ‘football people’ were at pains to describe the process, which is now in part-  DR ringing Micky touting the Job. Or in other words who DR rates. 

It’s DR’s responsibility for hiring Unsy and Mellon- because he’s the ‘football person’. IF and I stress IF Mellon doesn’t work out- questions will be asked of DR- and rightly so. You can’t say- well don’t blame me we went through a proper process this time, when in fact you didn’t- and head hunted again. 

How the hell do you know that?

Maybe they interviewed several potential candidates and maybe they also wanted to speak with Mellon who didn’t actually apply.

He has an impressive CV and was also out of work….If he impressed more than the others at interview then maybe that’s why he got the job!

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Head hunting and interviewing are two different things- no? 

One is about who you really want. 

The other is about who you will accept. 

If you went for a job after being asked to apply would you think you had advantage over the others who are ‘going through the process?’ 

So would you rather us have not gone for a manger that has success in this league because they didn’t apply ?

Are you saying the board shouldn’t be identifying future managers as a contingency ? 

You just want a simple case of you have to apply. But what if the best people don’t apply ? We just accept it ?

I fully agree, Unsy was appointed with no process. But that doesn’t apply here with MM and should not be used against the board or DR. 

A proper recruitment process includes applicants and those identified as potential suitable targets. Which is exactly what happened here. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JoeP said:

Loves the club.  Great fans.  Aiming for the play-offs.  Answers the silly questions.  Answers the other questions without really answering them.

Classic.

Not his fault.  Did what he had to do for the occasion.

He'll sort us out, but it might take a while.

Nobody even asked what size animal he could throw over a crossbar...   Game's gone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PeteG said:

Sounds like "Unsy" has done the majority of the budget in. 

Of course he has which makes those crying out to give him more time even more foolish, clearly we don't have a squad capable of competing nor do we have unlimited finances (I know I'm going on about money that isn't mine again) so we are effectively left with a fucking huge mess left by a manager appointed by his mate, unfortunately it's probably set the club back 2 seasons minimum as plenty of those players given those deals are raffle winners who won't get anywhere near the money we've thrown around, cheers Darren 👍

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Of course he has which makes those crying out to give him more time even more foolish, clearly we don't have a squad capable of competing nor do we have unlimited finances (I know I'm going on about money that isn't mine again) so we are effectively left with a fucking huge mess left by a manager appointed by his mate, unfortunately it's probably set the club back 2 seasons minimum as plenty of those players given those deals are raffle winners who won't get anywhere near the money we've thrown around, cheers Darren 👍

Should have got rid of him after that Notts County NYD defeat.

Spent second half of the season grinding out results in a 442, but it was never pretty. Shame and frustrating. 

22 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You've turned your attention to Darren Royle have we

35 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

You've turned your attention to Darren Royle have we

Should I applaud him for the mess he's helped create then? I'd be interested to know who you blame for the squad we've been left with, I'm presuming he's rubber stamped all the deals and allowed Unsworth a stupid amount of money to waste, quite clearly Mellon has been left absolutely fuck all down mainly to incompetence. 

13 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Should I applaud him for the mess he's helped create then? I'd be interested to know who you blame for the squad we've been left with, I'm presuming he's rubber stamped all the deals and allowed Unsworth a stupid amount of money to waste, quite clearly Mellon has been left absolutely fuck all down mainly to incompetence. 

The squad? Well at the start of the summer we had a Manager and a Head of Recruitment who you would think would have been primarily responsible for finding and signing the players, they've both since lost their jobs that tells us all we need to know.

We were right to back them in the summer, we were right to get rid of them when the results deteriorated. I know some on here are giving it the "should have sacked him sooner" line but I don't believe we did, we gave them every chance and we got rid at the right time knowing that it was a last resort. In hindsight we shouldn't have appointed him in the first place but what's done is done. I'm yet to see an "I told you so" story that had a happy ending and this one didn't either.

I said to you just before we sacked Unsworth would you be happy if he was sacked or will you just move on to your next target, you've done the latter. I've no doubt tomorrow you will be on here with your weekly 5pm Saturday night rant about someone.

The squad itself is not as good as we all initially hoped it would be, but its far from a lost cause. With abit of careful tweaking we could easily get into the top 7. The aim now should be to bring in that 2-3 players who will get us that bit more control in the middle of the pitch it could certainly set us up for a promotion assault in the second half of the season. Many of the sides just above us won't have particularly big squads such as Altrincham Halifax and Gateshead a couple of injuries in the second half of the season could see them struggle we can easily reel them in and go past them.

Once we are in the play offs anything can happen. If we have a home game Then the atmosphere will be cranked up significantly I don't think many of these teams will fancy coming to A full boundary Park. If its away we will probably takeover the ground and it may feel like a home game anyway. If we get to the final unless it's against Chesterfield we will out number any club so we can count on our 12th man as an advantage over the other clubs. 

This season is far from over we have a huge amount of football to be played still with lots of twists and turns and with the right signings you could well see a shift in momentum no need to throw the towel in yet.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Re The Headhunting. People can headhunt more than 1 person for a job. I wouldn't mind betting Thompson was asked to apply after he had done well in his first and/or second game. Probably why he was a bit miffed he didn't get the job. 

Likewise I bet Williamson and Parkinson (Alty) were also sounded out. Stephen Clemence coming from nowhere to be odds on favourite initially makes me think he had impressed someone somewhere.

No doubt there were also applications from Jay from Derker who is great at Football Manager. Asking people to apply makes it easier to find those applications amongst the detritus of others.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

The squad well at the start of the summer we had a manager and a Head of recruitment who you would think would have been primarily responsible for finding and signing the players they've both since lost their jobs that tells us all we need to know.

We we're right to back them in the summer, we were right to get rid of them when the results deteriorated. I know some on here are giving it the "should have sacked him sooner" line but I don't believe we did we gave them every chance and we got rid at the right time knowing that it was a last resort. In hindsight we shouldn't have appointed him in the first place but what's done is done. I'm yet to see an "I told you so" story that had a happy ending and this one didn't either.

I said to you just before we sacked Unsworth would you be happy if he was sacked or will you just move on to your next target, you've done the latter. I've no doubt tomorrow you will be on here with your weekly 5pm Saturday night rant about someone.

The squad itself is not as good as we all initially hoped it would be but its from a lost cause. With abit of careful tweaking we could easily get into the top 7. The aim now should be to bring in that 2-3 players who will get us that bit more control in the middle of the pitch it could certainly set us up for a promotion assault in the second half of the season. Many of the sides just above us won't have particularly big squads such as Altrincham Halifax and Gateshead a couple of injuries in the second half of the season could see them struggle we can easily reel them in and go past them.

Once we are in the play offs anything can happen. If we have a home game Then the atmosphere will be cranked up significantly I don't think many of these teams will fancy coming to A full boundary Park. If its away we will probably takeover the ground and it may feel like a home game anyway. If we get to the final unless it's against Chesterfield we will out number any club so we can count on our 12th man as an advantage over the other clubs. 

This season is far from over we have a huge amount of football to be played still with lots of twists and turns and with the right signings you could well see a shift in momentum no need to throw the towel in yet.

Oh you've been waiting for me to post and be critical of anyone or thing - I get it now.

Not a chance we are going to have the season you're dreaming of, sorry but this squad is piss poor and isn't responding to Mellon in the way I hoped it would, they've only really managed to get themselves up for Dale away which is a big worry, you're right though we still need three or four in but we are now crippled by a wage bill with little chance of moving any of Unsworths/Thompson's flops on. Any budget or wiggle room  that may have existed has probably been thrown at getting Mellon in and rightly so but already I feel he will be looking towards next season at the earliest.

The fact you're even measuring us with the likes of Alty, Halifax and Gateshead tells you all you need to know about the state we are in, we are the best part of 20 points behind Barnet and a dozen behind Bromley 18 games in, it's going to take something monumental to turn that around and unfortunately I've seen nothing yet to suggest Mellon will get anything more out of these players.

7 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

The squad well at the start of the summer we had a manager and a Head of recruitment who you would think would have been primarily responsible for finding and signing the players they've both since lost their jobs that tells us all we need to know.

We we're right to back them in the summer, we were right to get rid of them when the results deteriorated. I know some on here are giving it the "should have sacked him sooner" line but I don't believe we did we gave them every chance and we got rid at the right time knowing that it was a last resort. In hindsight we shouldn't have appointed him in the first place but what's done is done. I'm yet to see an "I told you so" story that had a happy ending and this one didn't either.

I hear what you're saying, but no one's beyond question. Frank, Darren Royle, Mellon, anyone.  Having blind faith just because we've got new owners that we assume will be better than the last ones is something we've been guilty of before.

Also, I'm not sure Thompson "lost" his job, did he?  Wasn't he offered his old job back when we decided to go with Mellon, but had a strop and left because he wanted the managers job?  Which kind of suggests the club think he's done alright on the recruitment front.  Which is a bit concerning...

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

So much hyperbole. It isn't a 'fucking huge mess'. We've got an underperforming mid-table team. Have some perspective