Meet the Manager

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

He also said this…

“Q: Do you see yourself going into the transfer/loan market quite soon?

MM: We talk about it all the time, we have the ability to do that, for the level we're working at we have a healthy budget. But we want to look at the group we have at the minute. Is it good enough to take us forward. We'll look at the games and performances and as we go along if opportunities come for people to come to Oldham with the right mentality then we would try to bring that. It's ongoing and if we have the opportunity to bring in players who we think we can make the club better we'll go and do that.”

So although I don’t think we’ll see a complete overhaul, I fully expect to see some key signings at some point. 

Formatting has gone weird. To clarify, the last paragraph is me talking!

42 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

He also said this…

“Q: Do you see yourself going into the transfer/loan market quite soon?

MM: We talk about it all the time, we have the ability to do that, for the level we're working at we have a healthy budget. But we want to look at the group we have at the minute. Is it good enough to take us forward. We'll look at the games and performances and as we go along if opportunities come for people to come to Oldham with the right mentality then we would try to bring that. It's ongoing and if we have the opportunity to bring in players who we think we can make the club better we'll go and do that.”

So although I don’t think we’ll see a complete overhaul, I fully expect to see some key signings at some point. 

Yeah, I didn’t mean we’ll sign no one.

There was also comment about- we can’t be flippant about moving players on. 

Paraphrasing- I took it mean, we have a big squad which has had a lot of money spent on it, a lot of players are on longer contracts so just getting rid won’t be possible. But if I really need someone the board will be back me. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Paraphrasing- I took it mean, we have a big squad which has had a lot of money spent on it, a lot of players are on longer contracts so just getting rid won’t be possible. But if I really need someone the board will be back me. 

He has said what just about any manager would say-basically covered all the options.

2 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

He has said what just about any manager would say-basically covered all the options.

I’m not challenging what he said, I agree with you he tried to cover all the bases. 

I’m just saying that fans will have to be realistic this season. Recruitment hasn’t been great, but nevertheless a lot of money has been spent- and we’ll have to be patient. 

Loves the club.  Great fans.  Aiming for the play-offs.  Answers the silly questions.  Answers the other questions without really answering them.

Classic.

Not his fault.  Did what he had to do for the occasion.

He'll sort us out, but it might take a while.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BP1960 said:

sorry, I didnt realise I had to be accountable to you for my whereabouts.

I don’t think anyone cares where you are BP. It was you asking questions that the majority didn’t think worth asking, hence the suggestion you go ask them. 

• Like 7

This is for @BP1960:

Q: Do you have any plans for the youth players?

MM: Definitely, there's nothing better for a fanbase to see their own coming through into the first team. They've been involved with us in training and for us to see them in among us as much as possible. We'd love nothing more than that, but again without any emotion. They would have to be good enough to give us the opportunity to win games. That's what it's about.

But we involve the young ones and they train with us and they've impressed us.

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

I don’t think anyone cares where you are BP. It was you asking questions that the majority didn’t think worth asking, hence the suggestion you go ask them. 

There are a few on here who love to challenge my every post, he was one of them.

How do you know the majority didn't think it worth asking, did you take a poll?

It was asked anyway.

Edited by BP1960

27 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

There are a few on here who love to challenge my every post, he was one of them.

How do you know the majority didn't think it worth asking, did you take a poll?

It was asked anyway.

BP- stop playing the victim over something and nothing. 

You came on and posted a slightly inflammatory remark- you got pulled on it and it was suggested you go along if that’s important. You then come on playing the victim. 

Maybe have another break if it winds you up so much. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Am I right in thinking Mellon was approached to apply/take the job by Darren Royle?

Yes, that’s what Mellon said. He didn’t apply as such. He was approached by DR first to have a ‘conversation’ 

Will you apply Micky?

What chance have I got. 

I wouldn’t be on the phone otherwise. 

You could say that makes a mockery of ‘we need time to complete a proper process’. Sounds like they knew exactly who they wanted. 

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yes, that’s what Mellon said. He didn’t apply as such. He was approached by DR first to have a ‘conversation’ 

Will you apply Micky?

What chance have I got. 

I wouldn’t be on the phone otherwise. 

You could say that makes a mockery of ‘we need time to complete a proper process’. Sounds like they knew exactly who they wanted. 

Nothing wrong with head hunting your man. I’d like to hope the board have a list of managers they would approach should Mellon leave the club.

The interview process was conducted, along with a few targets the board wanted to talk to. 

Nothing wrong with that. Let’s not go down the incorrect process route again. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Nothing wrong with head hunting your man. I’d like to hope the board have a list of managers they would approach should Mellon leave the club.

The interview process was conducted, along with a few targets the board wanted to talk to. 

Nothing wrong with that. Let’s not go down the incorrect process route again. 

It’s only ever an issue if he doesn’t do business. If he wins, no one could care less. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

BP- stop playing the victim over something and nothing. 

You came on and posted a slightly inflammatory remark- you got pulled on it and it was suggested you go along if that’s important. You then come on playing the victim. 

Maybe have another break if it winds you up so much. 

Some come on here to read first then post afterwards, some post first then read some of what's been posted.

It's a lot easier doing the former rather than the latter as you tend not to ask questions that have already been answered. 👍

41 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

It’s not an issue full stop. 

That’s that then. 😂😂

In my view- they head hunted Unsy and it didn’t work out. The ‘football people’ were at pains to describe the process, which is now in part-  DR ringing Micky touting the Job. Or in other words who DR rates. 

It’s DR’s responsibility for hiring Unsy and Mellon- because he’s the ‘football person’. IF and I stress IF Mellon doesn’t work out- questions will be asked of DR- and rightly so. You can’t say- well don’t blame me we went through a proper process this time, when in fact you didn’t- and head hunted again. 

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

That’s that then. 😂😂

In my view- they head hunted Unsy and it didn’t work out. The ‘football people’ were at pains to describe the process, which is now in part-  DR ringing Micky touting the Job. Or in other words who DR rates. 

It’s DR’s responsibility for hiring Unsy and Mellon- because he’s the ‘football person’. IF and I stress IF Mellon doesn’t work out- questions will be asked of DR- and rightly so. You can’t say- well don’t blame me we went through a proper process this time, when in fact you didn’t- and head hunted again. 

You can head hunt and still go through a proper recruitment process.

13 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’m just saying own your decisions. 

If he wants to head hunt again- fine. (And Mellon has far superior credentials to Unsy) But say that. Don’t hide behind a process. 

How is he hiding behind a process? The process still happened and approaching managers was clearly a part of that. If Mellon had said no we wouldn’t have been back to square 1.