BPAS PODCAST: 13th Nov '23, S4E17: Remembrance & Spitfires

It was Remembrance Day, with members of the armed forces in attendance organised by OAFC Veterans & Armed forces Supporters, which included a fantastic display from the Athleticos & representation from Spitfires. Not much else will be remembered about it though.

Find all our links ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠!

You can support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/oafcpodcast/subscribe⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠.

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠

You can also support us by visiting ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Please subscribe to our ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠YouTube channel⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ to watch the Latics Football Phone In live every Wednesday from 8.30pm.

BPAS and Latics Football Phone In are ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠KUPOD⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ productions.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

Haven’t listened to it all yet but have to say I disagree with Daves assessment of the first half and us not being able to make more than 2 or 3 passes. If anything we passed it to much, sometimes we would pass it 20 plus times to then just whip it into nobody. We did that over and over again. 

2nd half was a big improvement. 

Eastleigh didn’t offer much either and certainly weren’t running through us over and over like Dave mentioned.

Agree about the flat atmosphere overall though

Edited by aaronoafc
  • Like 3

1. is it monday? boom.

2. its hard to get an atmosphere for these little shit teams in their cup finals. ppl try but its just boring. its up to the players sometimes to drag us into the shit games and in the bigger ones we will lift them. ld never have a go at the Athleticos for not ranping it up bc l believe they are responsible for attracting younger fans to the club.

1 hour ago, aaronoafc said:

Haven’t listened to it all yet but have to say I disagree with Daves assessment of the first half and us not being able to make more than 2 or 3 passes. If anything we passed it to much, sometimes we would pass it 20 plus times to then just whip it into nobody. We did that over and over again. 

It is interesting how different people view it.  I thought passing-wise Saturday was the worst of the season in the first-half.

Against Altrincham, we were knocking it about pretty well but it always looked like it was going to break down and inevitably did - Saturday it was like Keystone Cops.  I remember twice in a short space of time we passed it straight out of play under no pressure - I thought the advertising hoardings at the side of the pitch was putting them off!  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It is interesting how different people view it.  I thought passing-wise Saturday was the worst of the season in the first-half.  

Agree - having read many comments, it's  like 2 different games were played in alternate universes. Some were encouraged by what they saw as a pattern of play developing. Personally, thought we were tediously slow in trying to build anything and largely ineffective. Eastleigh had too much time to re-group and organise their lines. At times, our passing was atrocious and I thought Norwood had his worst game for us thus far. I think the flat atmosphere generally indicates there was precious little to shout about. Distinct improvement needed if we really are aiming for the play-offs. MM speaks well and I`m certain he knows what is required and will get us to where we need to be. We might have to re-assess the timeframe around that though (i.e. depending on funds available).

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 11:01 AM, GlossopLatic said:

Renato Sanches

Passes to a carabao sign

is that stamford bridge? swansea? 🤣🤣🤣🤣 completely forgot that. tbf it was accurate it hit the red thing he was aiming at!!!

hopefully this has happened more than once bc that not what l remember 😩

ooh theyve got Athleticos on tbe pod this should be good. nothing but respect for these guys. they have litetally won us fans lve seen it happen.

'you just have to prod him and go ere Ryan weve conceded another penalty'

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 proper laughed at that

37 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Agree - having read many comments, it's  like 2 different games were played in alternate universes. Some were encouraged by what they saw as a pattern of play developing. Personally, thought we were tediously slow in trying to build anything and largely ineffective. Eastleigh had too much time to re-group and organise their lines. At times, our passing was atrocious and I thought Norwood had his worst game for us thus far. I think the flat atmosphere generally indicates there was precious little to shout about. Distinct improvement needed if we really are aiming for the play-offs. MM speaks well and I`m certain he knows what is required and will get us to where we need to be. We might have to re-assess the timeframe around that though (i.e. depending on funds available).

I think the Gardner corner (video doing the rounds on Facebook..) sums our first-half performance.

A few of us at Newport last week used a snooker analogy in reference to our build-up play - we never think more than one shot ahead.  A midfielder say will make a pass and then think "my jobs done, nowt to do with me anymore" and leave it to whoever's receiving the pass.  A couple of times on Saturday, the ball was passed out to Hope on the wing, but then there's no one around him backing him up and the move breaks down.

But having slept on it, I think Saturday was more encouraging (in the second-half anyway) than I thought at the time.  We did create chances ourselves while limiting the chances they had.  Not sure if that's a sign we're improving or Eastleigh were just woeful - lets hope it's the former!

I don't know what else people are expecting Micky Mellon to have achieved by this point...he's got a lot of wrongs to right.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

was it Xavi Alonso thought a dog running on an advert was a tean mate bresking fast down the left and passed the ball to it? 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Against Altrincham, we were knocking it about pretty well but it always looked like it was going to break down and inevitably did - Saturday it was like Keystone Cops.  I remember twice in a short space of time we passed it straight out of play under no pressure - I thought the advertising hoardings at the side of the pitch was putting them off!  

If our players can't tell the difference between a running dog and a player I'd send them to Specsavers.

Don’t usually say this, but completely disagree with the large Majority on the pod - other than Andy who brought some balance. 

We’re awful. . 

We can’t pass. 

We have no creativity. 

Why is everyone neglecting the 6 - yes 6 really good chances we created??? 

Why is everyone neglecting the fact that Eastleigh won 5-1 last week and we didn’t give them a sniff. Do they get any credit for that. 

Why is nobody cutting Mellon any slack with a lob sided squad that means in about 4 positions we have no cover meaning someone has to play out of position. That’s not his fault. 

Yes we can and will improve- BUT. Poor ineffective sides do not create 6 clear cut chances! 

Mellon hasn’t had chance to sign a single player and has already shown he’s light years ahead of Unsworth. 

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Don’t usually say this, but completely disagree with the large Majority on the pod - other than Andy who brought some balance. 

We’re awful. . 

We can’t pass. 

We have no creativity. 

Why is everyone neglecting the fact that Eastleigh won 5-1 last week and we didn’t give them a sniff. Do they get any credit for that. 

Why is nobody cutting Mellon any slack with a lob sided squad that means in about 4 positions we have no cover meaning someone has to play out of position. That’s not his fault. 

Yes we can and will improve- BUT. Poor ineffective sides do not create 6 clear cut chances! 

Mellon hasn’t had chance to sign a single player and has already shown he’s light years ahead of Unsworth. 

Any comparisons surely have to be with Thompson don't they? Think everyone acknowledges Unsworth ultimately wasn't up to the job.

52 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We’re awful. . 

We can’t pass. 

We have no creativity. 

I agree, feels like the pod has swung the other way since the Mellon appointment and become possibly a little more negative in its view. The Eastleigh game for me was a slight evolution on the Altrincham game before it in the sense that while there was still a lot of predictable, slow backwards and sideways passing (particularly in the first half), we created a lot more and really should have run out comfortable winners.

We are hamstrung at the moment by the complete lack of pace and guile in attacking areas coupled with having no one in midfield willing or able to carry the ball forward. Kitching and Lundstram are the only two remotely capable of that. It will require personnel changes for us to become more dynamic. Until that point, incremental improvements are about as good as it’s going to get and if we play like we did second half for 90 mins, I think we win most games still at this level. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, south east latic said:

agree, feels like the pod has swung the other way since the Mellon appointment and become possibly a little more negative in its view. The Eastleigh game for me was a slight evolution on the Altrincham game before it in the sense that while there was still a lot of predictable, slow backwards and sideways passing (particularly in the first half), we created a lot more and really should have run out comfortable winners.

Spot on. 

Against Alty - possession was good, but we did little with it, we kept going  backwards or sideways. But we largely nullified them, and still created chances. 

Against Eastleigh, in the first we did exactly the same thing. Lots of possession but we didn’t move it from front to back quick enough. It was clear as day that Mellon corrected that at half time, because second half we moved it much quicker, and there was  far less backwards and sideways. And guess what- we created a glut of chances because of it. Their manager on his post match presser said- ‘I was really pleased we survived the Alamo in the second half’ yet our fans are saying we’re poor!!?? 

It’s clear that small but important improvements are coming as the games go by, because once that settles and we can play like we did in the second half regularly, we will muller teams. (And this is with a lob sided squad and no signings for Mellon!) 

The results are hit and miss but the signs are really promising. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

We’re awful. . 

We can’t pass. 

We have no creativity. 

l didnt think it was that bad but l was mellow AF.

lovin the impassioned post.

lve just msg my mate tellin him that listening to Mellon feels like listening to an expert in his field

lno l back em all too much n that so lm not the best for this but this guy is ace we are going places 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿😍

Edited by Monty Burns
spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, south east latic said:

I agree, feels like the pod has swung the other way since the Mellon appointment and become possibly a little more negative in its view. The Eastleigh game for me was a slight evolution on the Altrincham game before it in the sense that while there was still a lot of predictable, slow backwards and sideways passing (particularly in the first half), we created a lot more and really should have run out comfortable winners.

We are hamstrung at the moment by the complete lack of pace and guile in attacking areas coupled with having no one in midfield willing or able to carry the ball forward. Kitching and Lundstram are the only two remotely capable of that. It will require personnel changes for us to become more dynamic. Until that point, incremental improvements are about as good as it’s going to get and if we play like we did second half for 90 mins, I think we win most games still at this level. 

yes it feel asif we are in a 'cant see the wood bc of all the trees in the way' type scenario with a few atm.

3 hours ago, south east latic said:

Sounds to me like what you're doing is calling for patience. That's all we've ever really done I think. It'll come good in the end. It's just gonna take longer than any of us really want / hoped it would do. It was sh1t under DU, mainly sh1t under Thommo/Redders and still pretty sh1t under Mellon, which has everything to do with recruitment IMO. None of them can get a consistent tune out of this lot.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Sounds to me like what you're doing is calling for patience. That's all we've ever really done I think. It'll come good in the end. It's just gonna take longer than any of us really want / hoped it would do. It was sh1t under DU, mainly sh1t under Thommo/Redders and still pretty sh1t under Mellon, which has everything to do with recruitment IMO. None of them can get a consistent tune out of this lot.

Maybe, but I wasn’t very patient under Unsworth because from what I could see, there was never any discernible progress on the pitch. What I’ve seen over the last couple of games (excluding Newport as can’t comment on that) is better on the whole than what we’ve produced since we were relegated. 

I am happy (well, not happy but you know what I mean) to be patient if I can see progress. I’m also happier to be patient now we have someone who has the credentials to sort things out and seems to see what I see. I don’t think we have much choice but to be patient until the opportunity arises to make some additions to the squad. 

• Like 7