BPAS PODCAST: 13th Nov '23, S4E17: Remembrance & Spitfires

14 minutes ago, south east latic said:

Maybe, but I wasn’t very patient under Unsworth because from what I could see, there was never any discernible progress on the pitch. What I’ve seen over the last couple of games (excluding Newport as can’t comment on that) is better on the whole than what we’ve produced since we were relegated. 

I am happy (well, not happy but you know what I mean) to be patient if I can see progress. I’m also happier to be patient now we have someone who has the credentials to sort things out and seems to see what I see. I don’t think we have much choice but to be patient until the opportunity arises to make some additions to the squad. 

Spot on. 

55 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Sounds to me like what you're doing is calling for patience. That's all we've ever really done I think. It'll come good in the end. It's just gonna take longer than any of us really want / hoped it would do. It was sh1t under DU, mainly sh1t under Thommo/Redders and still pretty sh1t under Mellon, which has everything to do with recruitment IMO. None of them can get a consistent tune out of this lot.

Do you think we can go up this season though?

The language that's being used on the podcast recently suggests that this season is being seen as a write-off I really don't see that. We were a suspect penalty away from 3 points on Saturday.

I don't believe we are as far away as some people believe. In the second half of this season some of those clubs with small squads will fatigue abd we will reel them in. We saw last season we can go on a good run of results in the second half of the season. If we get those 2-3 players in then man for the man squad will be stronger, we will starting our run from higher up in the table and we will be doing so with an experienced manager and one who knows how to win promotion.

We are in better position than some think we are. This season should not be seen as a write off yet and promotion is very much on the table.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The language that's being used on the podcast recently suggests that this season is being seen as a write-off I really don't see that. We were a suspect penalty away from 3 points on Saturday.

I don't believe we are as far away as some people believe. In the second half of this season some of those clubs with small squads will fatigue abd we will reel them in. We saw last season we can go on a good run of results in the second half of the season. If we get those 2-3 players in then man for the man squad will be stronger, we will starting our run from higher up in the table and we will be doing so with an experienced manager and one who knows how to win promotion.

We are in better position than some think we are. This season should not be seen as a write off yet and promotion is very much on the table.

I'm pretty sure that it is a small number who have written off this season, I'd say it's more a case of tempering expectation. All the teams are capable of going on a mini run of good results which hoists them into the play off positions, once Mellon has assessed everyone and shipped players out on loan I would think that January will see a few loanees coming in. 

• Like 1

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

The language that's being used on the podcast recently suggests that this season is being seen as a write-off I really don't see that we were a suspect penalty away from 3 points on Saturday.

We are in better position than some think we are. This season should not be seen as a write off yet.

I kind of agree with the podcast , when I look at how the season has panned out so far we are pretty much where I expect us to be at the end of this campaign. I look at the last 3 or 4 results, the last two of which we have only managed draws, dodgy refereeing decisions or not, both should have been convincing victories with what should now be settled squad regardless of the new manager. It’s another rebuild I think , not to the extent of last season but new faces with a new mindset are needed I think. 

4 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

One other key point is that Tommo had us tight at the back. Mellon hasn’t thus far. That’s just a fact. Looking forward to seeing how we improve on that front. Saturday despite the result was a step in the right direction performance wise.

We were extremely unlucky not to keep a clean sheet on Saturday for my money. Did Hudson have a save to make other than the penalty? I don’t think an opposition team have created less against us than that this season

• Like 1

• Bender featured this topic
30 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We’re 20/1 at the bookies as things stand. I think that’s about right.

Our recent history in recruitment has been hit and miss, with more miss. It would be have to be much much better to make a difference. There’s no guarantee.

We’re in the middle of the season with decent players under contract, we’d have to pay through the nose to get them. We can’t do that.

Realistically, we’re aiming for 6th/7th, which means an away QF and away SF & 2nd or 3rd (who are way in front of us at the mo) at Wembley.

I’m not saying we can’t, I’m saying it looks unlikely as we approach the halfway point.

Edited by lookersstandandy

9 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

One other key point is that Tommo had us tight at the back. Mellon hasn’t thus far. That’s just a fact. Looking forward to seeing how we improve on that front. Saturday despite the result was a step in the right direction performance wise.

No, that's not right.  We didn't allow them much on Saturday - we didn't allow Newport that much the week before.  Dagenham and Redbridge - Thompson's last game - we gave them half a dozen chances to win it and were grateful for a point in the end.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

No, that's not right.  We didn't allow them much on Saturday - we didn't allow Newport that much the week before.  Dagenham and Redbridge - Thompson's last game - we gave them half a dozen chances to win it and were grateful for a point in the end.

I was going off goals conceded.

I could be wrong but we conceded 4 in 7 under Tommo?

9 in 4 under Mellon.

Can someone also talk me through this idea that making play-offs and failing will stand us in better stead for next year?

If we get into the play-offs, I want to win them.  I'd rather not make them than make them and lose...

6 minutes ago, south east latic said:

We were extremely unlucky not to keep a clean sheet on Saturday for my money. Did Hudson have a save to make other than the penalty? I don’t think an opposition team have created less against us than that this season

That’s the disappointing thing for me, they had nothing really from defence upwards, and we couldn’t make a dent in them and conceded again. I think Mellon will improve us but only very marginally with this squad. 

6 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

I was going off goals conceded.

I could be wrong but we conceded 4 in 7 under Tommo?

9 in 4 under Mellon.

I don't think the stats tell the whole story.  

We've had a bad night at Fylde and two really dodgy penalties given against us under Mellon.  Under Thompson and Unsworth, we gave the opposition so many chances.  That's relying on luck and isn't good management in my opinion.  The last few games under Mellon we seem to have cut that out..

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, True Tic said:

That’s the disappointing thing for me, they had nothing really from defence upwards, and we couldn’t make a dent in them and conceded again. I think Mellon will improve us but only very marginally with this squad. 

I see it another way that they were poor from defence upwards because we kept them at arms length. The sideways and backwards football is one way of stopping the opposition from attacking and I think contributed to an improved defensive performance. What we now need to get better at is the killer ball and taking the opposition on; I just don’t think we have the players in the squad to do it. That being said, we should have scored at least 3 on Saturday. 

36 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

All that proves is that short term stats prove very little 

Whilst agreeing with the sentiment generally, that's probably part of the reason they kept hanging on with DU and why we are where we are now (i.e. "He will come good soon, not enough time to judge him etc.). Sometimes, it's blindingly obvious when someone is unsuited to a position. Whoever was responsible for his recruitment has probably knocked us back a couple of seasons regarding our development on the playing side. The real folly was in getting rid of him part way through a season (i.e. should have gone last season). Caused a lot of unsettlement within the squad and left MM with a bit of a mountain to climb. Unfortunately, most of the money for mountaineering equipment had already been spent.

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

I don't think the stats tell the whole story.  

We've had a bad night at Fylde and two really dodgy penalties given against us under Mellon.  Under Thompson and Unsworth, we gave the opposition so many chances.  That's relying on luck and isn't good management in my opinion.  The last few games under Mellon we seem to have cut that out..

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks the Eastleigh pen was a cast iron foul...

The highlights view was the same as mine on the day.  They both seem to get to the ball at the same time.  The ball bounces away as if there was some contact from the defender. It is debatable and I’m not sure how you or the ref could be sure.

8 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

we will easily make the play offs. depending on who we buy in the meantime it might be better for us in the long run to make them and lose. 

in the same vein Will Sutton needs to go out on loan.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JoeP said:

Can someone also talk me through this idea that making play-offs and failing will stand us in better stead for next year?

If we get into the play-offs, I want to win them.  I'd rather not make them than make them and lose...

nobody wants to make them and then lose except pretend pete and his gang. but we need to go into them with at league one squad so we can skip L2 like most promoted teams do.

we only really need a midfielder and some wide men (both defensive of and offensive, preferably two footed) so if we get them then yeah great lets do it.