BPAS PODCAST: 13th Nov '23, S4E17: Remembrance & Spitfires

4 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

nobody wants to make them and then lose except pretend pete and his gang. but we need to go into them with at league one squad so we can skip L2 like most promoted teams do.

I dunno - one of the Athletico lads mentioned something along those lines in this episode and Matt said something similar the other week...

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

I dunno - one of the Athletico lads mentioned something along those lines in this episode and Matt said something similar the other week...

l felt they were more saying that not making them might be a blessing in disguise, based on the squad. but l also felt they were over harsh on how many players we actually need.

10 hours ago, Pidge said:

The highlights view was the same as mine on the day.  They both seem to get to the ball at the same time.  The ball bounces away as if there was some contact from the defender. It is debatable and I’m not sure how you or the ref could be sure.

I sit bang in line with it - it was a clumsy tackle, he went right through him. Pen for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

nobody wants to make them and then lose except pretend pete and his gang. but we need to go into them with at league one squad so we can skip L2 like most promoted teams do.

we only really need a midfielder and some wide men (both defensive of and offensive, preferably two footed) so if we get them then yeah great lets do it.

That's a myth I'm afraid, very few teams achieve double promotion from NL, through L2 to L1 in consecutive seasons. 

Notts County and Wrexham might do it this season, but it was pretty clear last season they were outstanding teams and they've largely been able to improve on their squads on promotion, although County did lose Reuben Rodrigues.

Teams do go to get the double promotion but they normally need a season or more of consolidation in L2: Orient, Forest Green and Lincoln in recent seasons, perhaps Stockport this season. 

Stevenage gained consecutive promotions in 9/10 and 10/11 and Bristol Rovers in 14/15 and 15/16. Tranmere too, 17/18 and 18/19.

That wasn't a great "fact" was it!?

But that's 3/20 that have achieved consecutive promotions out of the NL and L2 in the last 10 seasons which shows it's not the norm.

Maybe worth noting all three of the clubs that achieved the consecutive promotions were subsequently relegated back to L2, although Stevenage and Bristol Rovers are both back in L1.

3 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Stevenage gained consecutive promotions in 9/10 and 10/11 and Bristol Rovers in 14/15 and 15/16. Tranmere too, 17/18 and 18/19.

That wasn't a great "fact" was it!?

But that's 3/20 that have achieved consecutive promotions out of the NL and L2 in the last 10 seasons which shows it's not the norm.

Maybe worth noting all three of the clubs that achieved the consecutive promotions were subsequently relegated back to L2, although Stevenage and Bristol Rovers are both back in L1.

If Notts Co or Wrexham manage promotion in 2024 it will be the 8th time in 20 years

2002/04 Doncaster

2004/06 Carlisle

2007/09 Exeter 

2009/11  Stevenage 

2010/12  Crawley

2014/16  Bristol 
2017/19 Tranmere

6 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It's only the opinion of those that are on

I am aware of that they aren't the mouthpiece of the club while they are closer to the current regime than the previous one but the views on the podcast are independent. 

What I'm disagreeing on here is the notion that they and a few others seem to have is that we are in November and we are thinking about a rebuild we shouldn't be even entertaining that thought until the summer time. From the football side of things the focus should be promotion this season not building for the next one. If we miss out so be it we will deal with it and try and cone back bigger and stronger next season. We won't necessarily get a choice of when we go up we will have to take it at the first opportunity and if their is a chance this season I say we do everything we can to make it happen.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

From the football side of things the focus should be promotion this season not building for the next one. If we miss out so be it we will deal with it and try and cone back bigger and stronger next season. We won't necessarily get a choice of when we go up we will have to take it at the first opportunity and if their is a chance this season I say we do everything we can to make it happen.

Agree. Get us out of this dire league. Weary of seeing only a few dozen away fans huddled on a terrace - just not conducive to creating a competitive atmosphere. Most teams are utter dross - still can't quite get my head around why we aren't beating them. We need a good run of form now to a) keep the fans on board numbers wise and b) get us into the play-offs.

16 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Agree. Get us out of this dire league. Weary of seeing only a few dozen away fans huddled on a terrace - just not conducive to creating a competitive atmosphere. Most teams are utter dross - still can't quite get my head around why we aren't beating them. We need a good run of form now to a) keep the fans on board numbers wise and b) get us into the play-offs.

For a long time there feels to have been a fear factor among the players in passing the ball forward or running at opponents in case moves break down or they are dispossessed, preferring what they see as the safe options of passings sideways and backwards and not conceding goals (which they do anyway).

MM needs to change this otherwise I feel we are going nowhere.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

For a long time there feels to have been a fear factor among the players in passing the ball forward or running at opponents in case moves break down or they are dispossessed, preferring what they see as the safe options of passings sideways and backwards and not conceding goals (which they do anyway).

This. I see it often.

• Like 1

I sometimes wish all Oldham fans thought the same. 

Passing forward is more difficult to get right. You are not passing to someone with lots of space. I have often seen players with a pass on, deciding not to make it. 

When a player does make a pass and miss it, fans jump all over it.

Gardener had a game Sat where quite a few passes, corners etc went wrong. There have been a lot of comments about the mistakes.  In fact, he was kept on the pitch too long purely because he as the only one looking for and making some decent forward passes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

He did change it at half time on Saturday- and we created a lot of chances doing exactly what you’re asking for. 

I’d also note that to even pass backwards and sideways needs certain amount of composure and confidence, we didn’t even have that prior to Mellon coming in. 

We‘ll get there. 

There was talk on the podcast about sponsoring an Athletico…

I checked the early bird prices for match tickets:

Junior £3 (13 and under accompanied)

Youth £7 (14-17)

Concession (18-21) £10

Pretty attractive pricing I think 🤔

Edited by TheBigDog

• Matt unfeatured this topic