Who’s getting dumped next season?

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Please can we not start next season with Sheron on the pitch. Please. 

But keep all those midfielders we've got better than him?

Keep Hudson, Hobson, Sheron and Fondop.  Bring in better around them. The rest I'm really not arsed about.

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

But keep all those midfielders we've got better than him?

Keep Hudson, Hobson, Sheron and Fondop.  Bring in better around them. The rest I'm really not arsed about.

We have been crap in midfield ever since he’s joined, he’s been ever present in that time. 

Just now, whittles left foot said:

And never had a couple of quality/decent midfielders with him in that time for any length of time.

Quite.

And scored 7 this season. 

And won player of the season last season. 

And has the joint most appearances this season. 

He’s been the most consistent midfielder for the last two years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Norwood might go (if he can’t be arsed with us, or we get an offer) 

Someone might come in for Hudson. 

Sheron will be here, and as our third top goal scorer behind Nors and Mikey Id be pleased. Shit players don’t score 7 from midfield. He’s made quite a few look silly in their assessment of him. 

Seven goals from midfield is decent. The problem for me, however, is the opportunity cost of not having a baller in there.

I’m sick to death of watching him fluff a 10-yard pass, or mis-control far enough that his second touch is a tackle.

I get it, we’re non-league, but surely it doesn’t have to be this bad?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Can't see Norwood being here at the start of next season.

Full turnaround. For the last few seasons all we needed was a top striker to put the ball in the back of the net, now we have one we’ve got fuck all else.

He’s not an all round footballer, he’s very simply a finisher, a fox in the box and he’s living off scraps in a totally dysfunctional team!

Don’t blame him one bit….If I was him I’d want out too!!

3 minutes ago, JohnnyPimp said:

Seven goals from midfield is decent. The problem for me, however, is the opportunity cost of not having a baller in there.

I’m sick to death of watching him fluff a 10-yard pass, or mis-control far enough that his second touch is a tackle.

I get it, we’re non-league, but surely it doesn’t have to be this bad?

I’ve always said it Johnny,  is there better footballers than him- yes. But you can’t escape the fact that several midfielders have been signed after him and none have matched him in consistency, nor do any of them play as much as he does. In fact, he’s the only player to have played nearly every minute under four managers. I would get rid of every single midfielder we’ve got before Sheron. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’ve always said it Johnny,  is there better footballers than him- yes. But you can’t escape the fact that several midfielders have been signed after him and none have matched him in consistency, nor do any of them play as much as he does. In fact, he’s the only player to have played nearly every minute under four managers. I would get rid of every single midfielder we’ve got before Sheron. 

All true, and a sad reflection on our recruitment since we came down.

So much money spent, so little to show for it.

Nathan Sheron isn’t our biggest problem. Sums it up nicely for me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Full turnaround. For the last few seasons all we needed was a top striker to put the ball in the back of the net, now we have one we’ve got fuck all else.

He’s not an all round footballer, he’s very simply a finisher, a fox in the box and he’s living off scraps in a totally dysfunctional team!

Don’t blame him one bit….If I was him I’d want out too!!

He scores 30+ for Chesterfield, easy. He’s lucky if he gets the ball played to his feet in our team. Not even exaggerating. 

10 hours ago, League one forever said:

Norwood might go (if he can’t be arsed with us, or we get an offer) 

Someone might come in for Hudson. 

Sheron will be here, and as our third top goal scorer behind Nors and Mikey Id be pleased. Shit players don’t score 7 from midfield. He’s made quite a few look silly in their assessment of him. 

He optimises this team. He needs to go 

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂😂😂

I like him as a player. Hard tackling and a worker.  But he has a ceiling. If we want to finish first next season, it is unlikely to happen with Nathan sheron at the heart of the midfield. That said, it is also unlikely to happen with Hammon, conlon in midfield also

scoring a few goals doesn’t change that. 

On 1/13/2024 at 6:19 PM, League one forever said:

I know. This is what makes me laugh. 

9 are out of contract in the summer. 

Hogan

Magehy

Couto

Tollitt 

Green

Dicky 

Biscuit legs

Hope

Mikey

I don’t think any of them will be offered new deals- (maybe Fondop)  so that frees up a lot of budget. 

But they aren’t the issue- people also want rid of-

Ward, Shelton, Nuttall, Kurt, Reid- there is no way we are paying up 5 or 6 of the longer contacts. 

Nuttall started yesterday.

we won’t have to pay them off to get rid of them. Someone will take them one way or another 

On 1/22/2024 at 8:53 PM, League one forever said:

The long contracts don’t want to leave though. 

Few reports over the last couple of weeks that they’ve really tried to move people out and they’ve all said no. 

I understand not wanting to leave on a permanent for less money, but I can’t understand why Nuttall, Shelton etc wouldn’t want to go loan for the rest of the season and get some football. (And not lose out on money)

Why any player would prefer to just train and not play is beyond me. 

They will see sense in the close season, perhaps with a bit of a pay off to top up lower salaraies at their new clubs

Our team is limited from front to back and all areas that have needed attention since the Rothwells came in have been ignored.

Some of the ongoing issues include playing too many defenders particularly centrehalfs because the four defenders a team generally needs isn't enough for us, you'd think Raglan and Hobson are good enough (even though they play the same position), going in to next season we need new full backs as the ones we have are neither good enough or showed the desire to be here.

Going in to next season I'd keep Raglan and Hobson and maybe Sutton as he will be on buttons.

Midfield is a funny one, I'm reluctant to judge Conlon based on the fact he literally has nobody to work with in there, not even in a two. People are tending to judge Sheron by his goals scored which is fair enough, one in six isn't a bad return but on the flip side you cant play any football through him as he is so limited with the ball at his feet. He has been effective arriving late and pressing in the final third but to be successful we need him to play a bit more football, as a player you can't fault his desire and work ethic just his ability at times. Lundstrum has gone missing and can't even make the 15, same for Shelton, Ward, Dickinson, Tollitt, Hope and Couto so that's some group of midfielders Mellon doesn't rate/fancy. If McGahey is the answer in all that we are fucked, embarrassing at times yesterday he's a serial loser in the teams he's featured in including ours. Of the others Green would be a squad player but Mellon only used him reluctantly. Hammond has some qualities I like and I'm prepared to give him time, he's shown glimpses in games but has his obvious weaknesses, strength being one of them but he will do just fine with time.

Out of the midfield I'd probably keep Conlon, Hammond and Sheron and Green as squad players.

Up front is where we have major issues, we have some real quality but for one reason or another it just isn't happening and I'd put most of this down to style of play so a lot of these players are on a hiding to nothing if we continue to just hoof it up to them. It's no coincidence that our two most physical forwards have done the best through this in Fondop and Garner but that doesn't necessarily mean we should go with them, Norwood appears to have seen his arse in recent weeks and any love he may have had for us appears lost, his body language that isn't great at the best of times is now alarming. I expected more in that respect really but he's still the best player on the books when he wants to be. I think we've seen the last of Nuttall, Willoughby and Reid and Dallas has yet to really show us what he's about although I did see glimpses yesterday.

Going in to next season I'd take Norwood (if he wants it), Fondop and Garner.

Of the keepers I wouldn't be bothered if they both went, Hudson improves each month and he could well get a move into the EFL, for me he slows us down and his distribution isn't the best but that can be worked on, he's a terrific shot stopper and has improved under the high ball, Norman seems to have lost heart but won't struggle to find a team in the NL down south nearer to his roots.

All in all it's a pretty depressing picture really and a huge job is required to sort the mess out that others have left behind.

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 2

Keep

Hudson

Hobson

Raglan

Kitching

Sutton

Conlon

Green

Hammond

Norwood

Fondop (Only if we don’t go up)

Sheron (as a bench option only)

Not renewed

Tollitt

Cuoto 

Gardner

Dickenson

Windass

Hogan
Hope

try to move on in loan or transfer

Norman

Ward

Lundstrum

Sheron

Reid

Nuttall

Willoughby

Jettison into the nearest orbiting planet 

McGahey

Shopping list

2 strikers, one with pace.

2 wingers, one of which can play left wing back

2 centre midfielders, one of which can tackle / holding midfielder

1 right back or right wing back

any others can be loanees.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

2 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Keep

Hudson

Hobson

Raglan

Kitching

Sutton

Conlon

Green

Hammond

Norwood

Fondop (Only if we don’t go up)

Sheron (as a bench option only)

Not renewed

Tollitt

Cuoto 

Gardner

Dickenson

Windass

Hogan
Hope

try to move on in loan or transfer

Norman

Ward

Lundstrum

Sheron

Reid

Nuttall

Willoughby

Jettison into the nearest orbiting planet 

McGahey

Shopping list

2 strikers, one with pace.

2 wingers, one of which can play left wing back

2 centre midfielders, one of which can tackle / holding midfielder

1 right back or right wing back

any others can be loanees.

Agree with almost all of this except Kitch. I’d make available. I might be being harsh because that’s based on the last few weeks. He might have a knock or it could be to do with the Reid situation but I’m not convinced he’s dynamic enough for the role he’s currently being asked to play. 

I was going to say release but I looked it up and he’s contracted til next season. I was also surprised to read he’s only 28! I assumed he was older. 

We need a squad next season that has flexibility and variety. We don’t have that now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Agree with almost all of this except Kitch. I’d make available. I might be being harsh because that’s based on the last few weeks. He might have a knock or it could be to do with the Reid situation but I’m not convinced he’s dynamic enough for the role he’s currently being asked to play. 

I was going to say release but I looked it up and he’s contracted til next season. I was also surprised to read he’s only 28! I assumed he was older. 

We need a squad next season that has flexibility and variety. We don’t have that now. 

Kitching is regressing due to the tactics we’re forced to employ, in a bid to grind out enough results. He showed at Eastleigh what he has in his locker. In a reimagined team, that plays a lot more attacking (which, with a thoroughly reinvested midfield, we should start to see), Kitching has a role to play.

most of the remedial work will be in midfield and wide players. Always been a massively neglected and poorly recruited area. I trust MM to be able to remedy this, given the chance in the summer.

Just now, AndyB2 said:

The alarming thing here is that no one is saying our issues are sorted with a couple of tweaks here and there. 

That should be the case in year 3 after the takeover, however the DU era has long reaching ramifications. Especially when you see the amount of non-league fodder were saddled with until 2025.

There used to be a contributor who updated a list of the contractual status of all of our players.

Is that still available?

Don't think Frankly is too far out, although perhaps some of those brought in last summer might be better with some of the old guard out of the way.

It can't be a happy place at the moment with an experienced group waiting for the axe to drop and others whose careers have completely stalled over the last eighteen months.