Who’s getting dumped next season?

in addition to the list by league one forever,,another 4 are out of cotract,making 13 in all.the four are hudson,norman(who will walk),gardener and windaqss.the problem 4-nuttall,reid,wlloughby and shelton.i would expect them to move on but it will cost.reference has been made to lundstam  and ward.will will still need sqaud players.

Our issues will be sorted with a couple of tweaks here and there.

If you had told me we would sign 6 players in January then I would have expected them to make more of a difference than what we have seen so far. But if we sign 6 players in the summer a time when a wider pool of players are available then I'd expect them to sort the problems out.

We are still in the rebuilding process from the train wreck the club was in just over 18 months ago. We've had an entirely new board new Manager and coaching staff and a whole host of new players lessons are I feel still being learned.

Overall Im relaxed I'm certainly not going to lose my shit about what happened yesterday. I'm going to have faith and trust the people in charge to make the right decisions knowing full well they won't get everything right but they will be right more often than they are wrong and eventually we will get back in the football league we will get there.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Kitching is regressing due to the tactics we’re forced to employ, in a bid to grind out enough results. He showed at Eastleigh what he has in his locker. In a reimagined team, that plays a lot more attacking (which, with a thoroughly reinvested midfield, we should start to see), Kitching has a role to play.

He is more of than not surrounded by 2 or 3 when hes out wide, with little support

12 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

He is more of than not surrounded by 2 or 3 when hes out wide, with little support

Well that leaves 9 on 7 or 8 elsewhere so should work to our advantage! 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Our issues will be sorted with a couple of tweaks here and there.

If you had told me we would sign 6 players in January then I would have expected them to make more of a difference than what we have seen so far. But if we sign 6 players in the summer a time when a wider pool of players are available then I'd expect them to sort the problems out.

We are still in the rebuilding process from the train wreck the club was in just over 18 months ago. We've had an entirely new board new Manager and coaching staff and a whole host of new players lessons are I feel still being learned.

Overall Im relaxed I'm certainly not going to lose my shit about what happened yesterday. I'm going to have faith and trust the people in charge to make the right decisions knowing full well they won't get everything right but they will be right more often than they are wrong and eventually we will get back in the football league we will get there.

6 new players is not a ‘tweak here and there’

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'm going to have faith and trust the people in charge to make the right decisions knowing full well they won't get everything right but they will be right more often than they are wrong and eventually we will get back in the football league we will get there.

Normally I would agree with this but my confidence in Mellon has been shot by the players he has brought in and his complete inability to address the gaping problems in midfield and at RB.

Say what you want-he has had plenty of time to address these issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dickie Down said:

There used to be a contributor who updated a list of the contractual status of all of our players.

Is that still available?

Don't think Frankly is too far out, although perhaps some of those brought in last summer might be better with some of the old guard out of the way.

It can't be a happy place at the moment with an experienced group waiting for the axe to drop and others whose careers have completely stalled over the last eighteen months.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Normally I would agree with this but my confidence in Mellon has been shot by the players he has brought in and his complete inability to address the gaping problems in midfield and at RB.

Say what you want-he has had plenty of time to address these issues.

Say what you want he hasn't had alot of time at all. I think the Lemsagam era has deluded a few people to think that 6 months is a long enough period to turn tnings round 360.

We can sack him if you want but the policy of sacking the manager to win promotion currently has a 100% failure rate, when we've done it over the last 54 years. Ironically we accuse managers of not learning lessons.

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Say what you want he hasn't had alot of time at all. I think the Lemsagam era has deluded a few people to think that 6 months is a long enough period to turn tnings round 360.

We can sack him if you want but the policy of sacking the manager to win promotion currently has a 100% failure rate, when we've done it over the last 54 years. Ironically we accuse managers of not learning lessons.

I know it's not the same but you banged this drum about Unsworth. He isn't going to be sacked as the problems run deeper, but talking about faith and trust is just blind faith in my opinion.

40 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I know it's not the same but you banged this drum about Unsworth. He isn't going to be sacked as the problems run deeper, but talking about faith and trust is just blind faith in my opinion.

The problems aren't that deep we aren't talking about the Lemsagams era of chaos or the Corney era of sell anything we can get our hands on. The team is top 7 and has been showing top 7 form for 14 months now. I expect us to finish there.

We're on course to get to the play offs. When Mellon came in we would have taken that.

Interms of my views on Unsworth well I believe while it didn't work out we played it right overall we gave him the right amount of time he just ran out of road I'd hope we take the same approach with Mellon. We only sack the manager as a last resort not on a whim.

1 hour ago, AndyB2 said:

6 new players is not a ‘tweak here and there’

For a club at our level or any club below the championship 6 in and 6 out is a tweak due to the high turnover of players the majority of whom are on 1 and 2 year deals.

7 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

I like him as a player. Hard tackling and a worker.  But he has a ceiling. If we want to finish first next season, it is unlikely to happen with Nathan sheron at the heart of the midfield. That said, it is also unlikely to happen with Hammon, conlon in midfield also

scoring a few goals doesn’t change that. 

My issue is this. 

He’s constantly derided as the main problem in the midfield. Do you know why? Because he plays far far more than any other midfielder, and is there to be shot at. But before we talk about his limitations, let’s ask ourselves why he always plays under every manager. 

Can be trusted to put a shift in.

Doesn’t hide. 

Affects the game when playing well. 

Now, his passing is generally poor- he often does all the hard work and then gives it away. So when people say they want better, I get that. 

But here’s the rub. 

We are not a league one side, we’re a conference side trying to rebuild- and in that time Sheron has generally done a great job in helping us rebuild. And most importantly he has been the standout midfielder of the last two seasons when compared to the absolute ghosts who have played with him. So when people say he’s shit - get rid, i ask you to remember two points. 

1. On contribution alone- every single midfielder should leave before he does. 

2. If and when we do get better, I’d still keep him because he’s a great pro, and will always give his best. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

My issue is this. 

He’s constantly derided as the main problem in the midfield. Do you know why? Because he plays far far more than any other midfielder, and is there to be shot at. But before we talk about his limitations, let’s ask ourselves why he always plays under every manager. 

Doesn’t hide. 

Now, his passing is generally poor- he often does all the hard work and then gives it away. So when people say they want better, I get that. 

But here’s the rub. 

We are not a league one side, we’re a conference side trying to rebuild- and in that time Sheron has generally done a great job in helping us rebuild. And most importantly he has been the standout midfielder of the last two seasons when compared to the absolute ghosts who have played with him. So when people say he’s shit - get rid, i ask you to remember two points. 

2. If and when we do get better, I’d still keep him because he’s a great pro, and will always give his best. 

I always recall his performance against Notts County last season. A big factor in turning out season round then.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

My issue is this. 

Doesn’t hide. 

But here’s the rub. 

Yep, agree with all that.   We have a long list of under achievers. Sheron is no where near the top of it.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, League one forever said:

My issue is this. 

Doesn’t hide. 

But here’s the rub. 

There's a line wheeled out about our fans "just liking a player because they run around".  There's also a different group of fans who prefer a player who does absolutely nothing and in doing so never makes a mistake.  Sheron gets criticism because he shows more than anyone else in midfield and in doing so makes mistakes, just like Piergianni got stick in defence when we went down..

Lundstram has done sweet FA since he's been here.  Neither has Conlon.  But it's Sheron who seems to get more criticism than anyone else..

• Like 5

On 1/25/2024 at 9:02 PM, Boyyou said:

Don't think we have seen enough of Ward to 100pc write him off. 

Fully fit, I  think he is a proper grafter, like Sheron, but with a bit more technique. Think I  would give him a chance to show he can be a squad player.

I agree about Ward, also don't think that we have seen enough of Willoughby to give the lad a chance.

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Never mentioned sacking him but 6 months is more than enough time to sort out a decent RB and get a couple of midfield players in either perm or on loan. You reference under the Lemmies-well there were several decent players brought in on loan when the club was a basket case.

There is the essence of a decent side in this team but until these issues are sorted we will continue to struggle to be consistently decent.

4 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Never mentioned sacking him but 6 months is more than enough time to sort out a decent RB and get a couple of midfield players in either perm or on loan. You reference under the Lemmies-well there were several decent players brought in on loan when the club was a basket case.

There is the essence of a decent side in this team but until these issues are sorted we will continue to struggle to be consistently decent.

Simplified a little bit.

Do you think there's a queue of top quality midfielders and right-backs out there just waiting to sign for Oldham Athletic?

2 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Smacks to me players brought in on agents recommendations without checking their recent form and fitness.

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

Simplified a little bit.

Do you think there's a queue of top quality midfielders and right-backs out there just waiting to sign for Oldham Athletic?

Plenty out there, you have to scout them though not rely on agents.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Plenty out there, you have to scout them though not rely on agents.

I mean I agree that we should have a scouting network rather than a "stats" or "recruitment" department, but I'd have to take your word for it that they're out there waiting. I think you need a tried and tested successful signing process in place and we just don't have that..

Just now, JoeP said:

I mean I agree that we should have a scouting network rather than a "stats" or "recruitment" department, but I'd have to take your word for it that they're out there waiting. I think you need a tried and tested successful signing process in place and we just don't have that..

It's all agent led nowadays. Gone are the days when managers spent every spare hour following up on their scouts recommendations.

I've seen several avaliable young players a couple of years ago who've since gone higher, but was told 'experience' was required.

Same will happen with our outstanding youth Alfie Atherton who would run rings round defenders in this division, but not given a chance. 

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

It's all agent led nowadays. Gone are the days when managers spent every spare hour following up on their scouts recommendations.

I've seen several avaliable young players a couple of years ago who've since gone higher, but was told 'experience' was required.

Same will happen with our outstanding youth Alfie Atherton who would run rings round defenders in this division, but not given a chance. 

Hmmm... it doesn't sound a straightforward process then and the club are still figuring out how to play the game, what agents to use etc.