Norman

Sutton

McGahey

Shelton

Gardner

Ward

Hope

Willoughby

Can’t disagree with that, apart from perhaps Sutton (as a squad player). Hogan will be off in summer, as will Green I reckon. Somehow need to find a club stupid enough to sign Nuttall too, but I doubt that will happen.

Norman clearly doesn't want to be here.

McGahey is a liability and needs fucking off.

Willoughby is wank.

Gardner, Hogan, Shelton, Nuttall, Green, Tollitt, Hope, Dickinson and Couto are all poor players and can go for me.

I'd keep

Hudson

Kitching 

Hobson

Lundstrum (just)

Fondop

Ward

Sheron 

Raglan

Sutton

Reid

Norwood

Conlon

Reckon we need 10 new players.

• Like 2

GK

Hudson (First XI)

Norman (Bin)

DEF

Hobson (First XI)

Raglan (First XI)

Hogan (Bin)

Sutton (Bin)

McGahey (Bin)

Couto (Bin)

Kitching (First XI)

MID

Sheron (Squad)

Shelton (Bin)

Gardner (Bin)

Lundstram (Squad)

Ward (Bin)

Conlon (First XI)

Tollitt (Bin)

Dickenson (Squad)

FWD

Norwood (First XI)

Hope (Bin)

Nuttall (Bin)

Fondop (Squad)

Willoughby (Bin)

Green (Bin)

Reid (Bin)

Edited by sjk2008
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

GK

Hudson (First XI)

Norman (Bin)

DEF

Hobson (First XI)

Raglan (First XI)

Hogan (Bin)

Sutton (Bin)

McGahey (Bin)

Couto (Bin)

Kitching (First XI)

MID

Sheron (Squad)

Shelton (Bin)

Gardner (Bin)

Lundstram (Squad)

Ward (Bin)

Conlon (First XI)

Tollitt (Bin)

Dickenson (Squad)

FWD

Norwood (First XI)

Hope (Bin)

Nuttall (Bin)

Fondop (Squad)

Willoughby (Bin)

Green (Bin)

Reid (Bin)

That’d cost about a million quid paying all those up I reckon 😂 What an absolute shit show DU and ST made of recruitment in the summer eh?

• Like 1

I wouldn’t be in the slightest bothered if none of these players were here next season, I honestly don’t think many of them are bothered either.

Their lack of attacking desire, passion or determination most weeks is killing my love for this club

8 minutes ago, daniel said:

That’d cost about a million quid paying all those up I reckon 😂 What an absolute shit show DU and ST made of recruitment in the summer eh?

I know. This is what makes me laugh. 

9 are out of contract in the summer. 

Hogan

Magehy

Couto

Tollitt 

Green

Dicky 

Biscuit legs

Hope

Mikey

I don’t think any of them will be offered new deals- (maybe Fondop)  so that frees up a lot of budget. 

But they aren’t the issue- people also want rid of-

Ward, Shelton, Nuttall, Kurt, Reid- there is no way we are paying up 5 or 6 of the longer contacts. 

13 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Hogan

Magehy

Couto

Tollitt 

Green

Dicky 

Biscuit legs

Hope

Mikey

I don’t think any of them will be offered new deals- (maybe Fondop)  so that frees up a lot of budget. 

Ward, Shelton, Nuttall, Kurt, Reid- there is no way we are paying up 5 or 6 of the longer contacts. 

I thought Mikey still had another year left after this season tbh, but yeah, he’s the only 1 on that list who gets offered a new contract for me and even if he didn’t I wouldn’t be too upset, I do think he deserves 1 though. 
Of the others, I think the majority of those will  have interest in them on loan etc, but we’d have to pay a large % of their wages still, but even getting rid of those 8 players will be a big help 

13 minutes ago, League one forever said:

All of these will have clubs willing to take them 💯. Maybe even a small fee for a couple. I think we are in a good position for a squad reshape. Much better position than we’ve been in for as long as I remember. And we’ve seen the quality of mellons signings. I’m feeling really positive about the middle to longer term 

2 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

All of these will have clubs willing to take them 💯. Maybe even a small fee for a couple. I think we are in a good position for a squad reshape. Much better position than we’ve been in for as long as I remember. And we’ve seen the quality of mellons signings. I’m feeling really positive about the middle to longer term 

Oh definitely.

The fact that 9 are out of contract gives plenty of scope for reshaping. The bigger picture is looking really good. I’m just adding a dose of realism to the others, as I don’t share your optimism they’ll have takers. 

3 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I agree clubs would be in for them, but I think the biggest issue we will have is that they won’t get the money they are on here, so why would they leave? We’ll be paying for all of them somehow next season in my opinion. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Seen the quality of Mellon's signings is a stretch. One who did well for four games. One who made his full debut in our worst defeat in over a century and I can't really be bothered looking if Conlon came on but I know he's proved nothing yet. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Seen the quality of Mellon's signings is a stretch. One who did well for four games. One who made his full debut in our worst defeat in over a century and I can't really be bothered looking if Conlon came on but I know he's proved nothing yet. 

Fair. I guess I’m putting a lot of trust in him knowing what he’s doing. Like I don’t expect a lopsided squad once it’s fully his squad. 

7 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Fair. I guess I’m putting a lot of trust in him knowing what he’s doing. Like I don’t expect a lopsided squad once it’s fully his squad. 

Likewise 

2 hours ago, singe said:

Trouble is we've needed 10 new players every season for about 30 years!

Oldham Deadwood Athletic.

I've never been a fan of completely new teams.

Till now. 

This time 10 better are essential.

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Can't see Mellon renewing Fondop's contract given he has to literally tell him where to stand and run during the game.

We would have won that game yesterday with Fondop starting. Poor of MM to play 2 lightweights up front who never troubled a Hendon defence who regularly concede plenty of goals in their own division.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We would have won that game yesterday with Fondop starting. Poor of MM to play 2 lightweights up front who never troubled a Hendon defence who regularly concede plenty of goals in their own division.

Whats your overall opinion of Willoughby BP?

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Totally agree with this, even more staggered he didn't come on at half time given his physical presence is what we needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

You should have said

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 6:19 PM, League one forever said:

Hogan

Magehy

Couto

Tollitt 

Green

Dicky 

Biscuit legs

Hope

Mikey

Yeah I would get rid of all 9 mentioned. I actually quite like Hogan but he’s getting on and I think we can get better for what he’ll be earning. 

Fondop as well is a decent option from the bench but again, think we can get better. 

Of the contracted lads we don’t want - I could see teams taking a punt on Shelton and Kurt. I think Kurt will go this month tbh. Sheltons shite but has done ok elsewhere, it’s just whether another team would get close to his wage here. 

Could see us binning Reid off in summer, agreeing to a mutual pay out. Someone would sign him on a free, he has a decent goal record. 

Think we’re stuck with Ward and Nuttall. Normans signed until 2025 too I think? Reckon a team will take a punt on him, maybe even in Jan. 

One way or another I think a good 8-12 of the current squad won’t be an Oldham player come August 2024. 

• Like 1

Any of those mentioned that have contracts expiring in May I think will be gone and replaced. MM may be compelled to keep hold of Hope as a squad player because to replace these with better versions will cost more money. I'd be surprised if Nuttall, Norman and Shelton will want to stay and be kept in the cold. It can't be doing their careers any good. 

Of those still in contract, I'd still keep Sutton as a development project. I think there's a decent L2 player in there with more experience under his belt but I'd be doubtful he's good enough to step beyond that. The likes of Sheron, Reid and Willoughby may have to be kept on, purely on the over cost to budget. I think after the summer we'll have a team MM's about 75% satisfied with.

On 1/15/2024 at 11:44 AM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Any of those mentioned that have contracts expiring in May I think will be gone and replaced. MM may be compelled to keep hold of Hope as a squad player because to replace these with better versions will cost more money. I'd be surprised if Nuttall, Norman and Shelton will want to stay and be kept in the cold. It can't be doing their careers any good. 

Of those still in contract, I'd still keep Sutton as a development project. I think there's a decent L2 player in there with more experience under his belt but I'd be doubtful he's good enough to step beyond that. The likes of Sheron, Reid and Willoughby may have to be kept on, purely on the over cost to budget. I think after the summer we'll have a team MM's about 75% satisfied with.

The long contracts don’t want to leave though. 

Few reports over the last couple of weeks that they’ve really tried to move people out and they’ve all said no. 

I understand not wanting to leave on a permanent for less money, but I can’t understand why Nuttall, Shelton etc wouldn’t want to go loan for the rest of the season and get some football. (And not lose out on money)

Why any player would prefer to just train and not play is beyond me. 

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 2