Micky Mellon Sack Watch

On 3/30/2024 at 1:03 PM, GlossopLatic said:

plenty

7 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

He’s worked hard to get Barrow punching way above their weight and challenging for automatic promotion on a budget well down in the bottom half. He’ll probably be a target for clubs much higher up in the summer, especially if he manages promotion.

Why would he come here and have to start all over again?

Anyone other than the Lemsagam’s would have kept him on, he was the perfect fit for us and a Latics fan too!!

I reckon that we’d have to get out of this league first for him to ever consider a return and that looks a long way off unfortunately!

He’s Oldham through & through and would have been the perfect fit alongside the Rothwell’s but I think that ship has well & truly sailed.

I'm sure he made the decision to leave rather than the club not wanting him to stay.  Due to what he was witnessing and subjected too.  Same as Paul Scholes...

26 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

I'm sure he made the decision to leave rather than the club not wanting him to stay.  Due to what he was witnessing and subjected too.  Same as Paul Scholes...

He did…because he didn’t agree with the direction the Lemmies wanted to go by bringing in cheap foreign imports.

Its a shame Frank & Co weren’t here because he would never have got out of the door!!

3 hours ago, O.A.F.C. said:

The Pete Wild interlude in 2019 was a bit of a revelation, and I certainly feel he'd be a better bet than Mellon, though I also suspect that there might be something amiss at a higher level than team manager at Boundary Park which could make his job a fair bit more difficult than it ought to be.

Scholes has always given the impression that he doesn't have enough upstairs to make the grade in management.

On 3/30/2024 at 2:08 PM, League one forever said:

There was a home game a while back (I’m sure someone will remember) they had played a practice match midweek in a different shape, we lost the league game and afterwards Mellon said - ‘I tried to do something different today and it didn’t work, from now on we’ll stick to what we’re good at it, I know what we are now. The blindingly obvious implication was- we’re not good enough to play so it will be percentages football. 

That was Borehamwood I think. Absolutely terrible first half with that lad we signed from Gateshead being particularly bad. Changed it 2nd half and we managed to scrape a win.

1 hour ago, Summerdeep said:

..I also suspect that there might be something amiss at a higher level than team manager at Boundary Park which could make his job a fair bit more difficult than it ought to be..

Care to elaborate on that?

On 3/30/2024 at 3:47 PM, True Tic said:

I still think Pete wild will end up back here… based on absolutely nothing . 

Decent article on Barrow in The Times this morning 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Lock the thread they said.

Crazy they said.

Writing was on the wall after how that Kidderminster game went down.

Watching that game and my main feeling is frustration at the amount of playbreakers we have in our team. When we do play reasonably well we can’t capitalise. When we’re under pressure we buckle. 

I have no issue giving Mellon the summer to recruit players to improve us in these areas. I’m 99.9% certain that’s what the board will do as well. 

5 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Crazy they said.

Eventually we do have to stick with a manager for more than a season and build a stable team. It might as well be Mellon given his pedigree at this level.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

I don’t even know what the solution is. Just sick of this football club being shit.

Mellon won’t be sacked. The solution is to get the recruitment working better. So thats the summer’s main job for the coaches/scouts. 

Darren Royle’s main summer job should be to be petitioning like mad for it to change to 3 up 3 down. 

1 hour ago, PlayItLivo said:

Eventually we do have to stick with a manager for more than a season and build a stable team. It might as well be Mellon given his pedigree at this level.

💯 It gets to a point where the players know that if they don't turn up its the manager who comes under pressure and gets the blame then they just down tools knowing that they are safe.

If we where to sack Mellon we'd be letting the players who've caved in over the last month completely off the hook.

The process of sacking managers every 6 months over the last decade has failed beyond any reasonable doubt.

We've got a manager who is under contract for another 2 years and has a proven record of promotion. The bare minimum he gets is this summer to build his own team. Even then we only entertain sacking him if we start like we did this season.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 4

He stays for me,  massive massive clear out required on the playing front.  Let him bring in his own men and see how we get on.  

Darren Royle also needs to step up to the plate football wise. 

32 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Crazy they said.

I'm still saying it.  It is a joke thread now and it was even more of a joke thread when you started it in my opinion.

It's still not worth sacking him at this point and I don't see when it will in the near future.  Although he needs to show that he can do something different in the next four games to alleviate some pressure on him and he needs to be ruthless with this squad in the summer.  

• Like 2