Micky Mellon Sack Watch

Just now, Charles or Eddie said:

Get this clownn out of the club.

We are playing poorer quality football that before. Its awful 

Get a young manager who is on the up. Not an aging dinosaur who can't adapt

But we're still left with a squad of players without real pace who can't play pass and move, simple, precise football.

17 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Mellons post match is awful. 

Just looks resigned to it all. 

No wonder his players do then, Brabin pre match didn't exactly fill me with confidence.either.

Oh well rinse and repeat with the players he 'trusts'.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Mellons post match is awful. 

Just looks resigned to it all. 

Stopped it half way through due to the depressing and monotonous same comments as previous. No confidence anything is going to change much in the near future and next season probably a rinse-repeat, possibly at the wrong end of the table because we certainly won't be anywhere near favourites to go up if this continues.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

He's the promotion guy, March and April is where he should be doing his best work, where he earns his corn and makes the difference and yet it has been the total opposite.

The decision makers must be absolutely horrified by it all.

Not so sure all the decision makers will be horrified tbh. I'm also not convinced by lots of people saying Mellon has been backed. He's made 3 permanent signings, one a young kid who won't have cost anything and won't be on massive wages, a 35 year old striker from a soon to be league 2 side who again wouldn't be earning that much at Carlisle and Conlon who after a bad injury wasn't catching at Vale and would have been earning average League 2 wages. This is hardly the backing of Nuttall, Norwood, Willoughby etc that Unsworth had. It has gone to shit the last couple of months but I still think Mellon can have us at the top end of the table next season if and it is a big if, he can get enough of this squad out the door and is able to recruit the players he wants and needs. Will very much depend on budget, and I can see Mellon walking if he can't get rid of 7 or 8 and bring 5 or 6 of his players in, although a 3 year contract might just see him hang around till October like Unsworth did.

25 minutes ago, ceskylatic said:

Mate of mine who knows Dan Pike (right back at Tranmere) has said an agreement is in place for him coming to us in the summer. 

"Don't tell him Pike"!!! Ex Blackburn maybe one of David Eyres recommendations.

Edited by mick26
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ceskylatic said:

Mate of mine who knows Dan Pike (right back at Tranmere) has said an agreement is in place for him coming to us in the summer. 

Would he be a good catch?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ceskylatic said:

Not rated at Tranmere. 

TBH fellas I think, and this is going back to his 2nd time here, Micky's looked a little lost without Mike Jackson as his no 2. All of their successes came together. Although his first season back here we got 75pts in 2021-22 it was only enough for ninth and we went downwards from there.

Brabin never struck me as the right assistant given he's more negative than Micky is. You want a more positive coach as your no 2 than him if it's going to work out

I thought you'd defo make top 7 although it may have taken another year to get you up, so a bit surprised about your position

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, planetarydeadlock said:

TBH fellas I think, and this is going back to his 2nd time here, Micky's looked a little lost without Mike Jackson as his no 2. All of their successes came together. Although his first season back here we got 75pts in 2021-22 it was only enough for ninth and we went downwards from there.

Brabin never struck me as the right assistant given he's more negative than Micky is. You want a more positive coach as your no 2 than him if it's going to work out

I thought you'd defo make top 7 although it may have taken another year to get you up, so a bit surprised about your position

He’s only 6 months in, but to be honest he looks increasingly lost- and so do the players. 

Sick to the back teeth of this absolute shite. This is much worse than it was even under Unsworth, WTF is going on here?

We have more than capable, experienced players who are just not cutting it….Hobson now looks so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet, Kitching is a shocking player who goes backwards or sideways at every opportunity. How is McGahey getting a game at FB before Sutton or Sachdev? 
Hogan is dropping bollocks left right & centre and Conlon is a non-entity. Hammond is like a rabbit in the headlamps and doesn’t look like he has a clue how to play.

We have two strikers who’ve proved themselves at a far higher level who have had absolutely no service whatsoever and have to try and get on the end of hopeful hoofs from Hudson and the back four.

Garner spends even more time on the floor than Fondop!

I don’t know as to how much longer Mellon can churn out this repetitive after match bull shit. He’s had about 30 games now to put his stamp on our football club and IMO he has failed miserably in just about every aspect.

It wouldn’t be so bad if you could see some green shoots of improvement or a recognisable style of play but there’s absolutely nothing to suggest he has the faintest clue as to how to improve us…..It has been a total shambles and if I were Frank I honestly wouldn’t be giving him another penny of my hard earned!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

It's a good point, I dont want to watch our pensioners getting the runaround off younger fitter teams, it's soul destroying.

Get Atherton in on the wing, like you say give Sutton a run of games in his favoured position. Just change something because it's patently obvious that this group is going nowhere.

Atherton is currently serving a 4 match ban for a second straight red this season, so, his first team debut ain’t happening anytime soon.

Edited by hollandspies

I'm happy to give him the summer, the position we're in is massively disappointing but he's working with a bunch of cowards who just aren't up to it at all. I think sacking him and starting over yet again is a backward step, give him the summer to bring his own players in then it's absolutely on him

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I'm happy to give him the summer, the position we're in is massively disappointing but he's working with a bunch of cowards who just aren't up to it at all. I think sacking him and starting over yet again is a backward step, give him the summer to bring his own players in then it's absolutely on him

Needs the summer when players are more readily available. See what he builds. We need wingers and a RB for definite 

• Like 2

Another reason why the ‘decision makers’ wanted Mellon for the job was his previous association & success managing James Norwood. They will have realised that getting our new expensive star striker motivated and firing was key. The way that Mellon talked in his early interviews, about being out of the game working in other fields and this project being presented to him - I wonder if he even applied for the job but was in fact approached by DR and sold the dream - due to his promotion record and history with Norwood. It’s sound logic, but clearly hasn’t paid off (yet)

Similar logic would’ve been to let Thommo & Redders continue. Yes, Thommo was part of a recruitment team that saddled us with an unbalanced squad. But as manager, I liked the fact that he backed the players which he’d scouted. Reid, Nuttall, Lundstrum, Ward, Kurt etc - he would’ve poured all his efforts into getting those players firing to prove his judgement was sound. And a lot of the squad had a rapport with Thommo coz they knew he’d rated them and brought them in. I liked the fact he was a proud Oldhamer as well.

In hindsight, I think giving them the job until the end of the season, to see if he could get his expensive signings firing, would’ve been the best approach. Then reassess the situation in May.

Instead, a lot of those players have barely played, are demotivated and will be much harder to flog.

Edited by Sloshed Joe

6 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Sick to the back teeth of this absolute shite. This is much worse than it was even under Unsworth, WTF is going on here?

We have more than capable, experienced players who are just not cutting it….Hobson now looks so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet, Kitching is a shocking player who goes backwards or sideways at every opportunity. How is McGahey getting a game at FB before Sutton or Sachdev? 
Hogan is dropping bollocks left right & centre and Conlon is a non-entity. Hammond is like a rabbit in the headlamps and doesn’t look like he has a clue how to play.

We have two strikers who’ve proved themselves at a far higher level who have had absolutely no service whatsoever and have to try and get on the end of hopeful hoofs from Hudson and the back four.

Garner spends even more time on the floor than Fondop!

I don’t know as to how much longer Mellon can churn out this repetitive after match bull shit. He’s had about 30 games now to put his stamp on our football club and IMO he has failed miserably in just about every aspect.

It wouldn’t be so bad if you could see some green shoots of improvement or a recognisable style of play but there’s absolutely nothing to suggest he has the faintest clue as to how to improve us…..It has been a total shambles and if I were Frank I honestly wouldn’t be giving him another penny of my hard earned!!

After reading that, it's as if Unsworth never left 🫣

In fairness, we did improve beyond recognition and it was such a relief but now we're back to square one and everyone's revisiting past traumas.

Maybe the weight of expectation is too much to carry for any manager or player who wears the shirt.

I’m not in the camp of sack Mellon but I’m beginning to lose patience with the way he sets up and plays. His recruitment has been poor. 

since the Rothwells took over the football has been criminal. Do we need to recruit a sporting director to help out? 

13 hours ago, League one forever said:

I disagree. 

A lot of this is choice. 

Sav is Fit- plays Magehy. 

Plays biscuits legs as a left winger. 

Plays Ollie as a right winger. 

Plays two midgets up front- none of which are know for their aerial  prowess and they lose every duel against their 6foot plus defenders- not their fault but it rendered them both completely ineffective. 

Constant rotation of players even if they’ve played well. 

The tactics he says he doesn’t want or endorse (hoof) the players constantly revert to. . . 

Too many times- the whole team are awful. If the whole team are panicking in possession, passing to the opposition, lacking fight, not working hard enough- then it suggests something deeper. Not every player at the club is absolutely dire, and yet that’s what we are seeing. 

Sums it up for me.

A mate of mine posted this in our WhatsApp group:

”Just seen MM's post match interview and it illustrates one problem our players have ... he can't communicate or explain anything simply - he just rambles and strings clichés and meaningless phrases together.
Players are at fault in lots of ways but if his team talks are like this interview then they walk on the pitch confused and demotivated “

My view - he hasn’t got a clue has he?