Micky Mellon Sack Watch

11 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

In a better league position in the NLN maybe....

Meh, you think about that Dorking home game that we won 3-2 with "terrible" players like Cooper, Tolitt and Hope playing a leading role.  Pisses on most of what we've seen this season.  Give him the budget Unsworth and Mellon have had and who knows?

Wouldn't have him back now, but he certainly wouldn't have done any worse..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

Well, hardly anyone criticised it at the time. Personally I'd have gone for someone younger but no idea who

You seen our fans when we pass the ball around, they cry. Much prefer to watch a team of battlers. 

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Depends what you wanted, I wanted Williamson and he's doing a great job at MK and got them up the table and playing decent football in just a few months. Mellon was considered and I shared the view a safe pair of hands but fucking hell he's a dinosaur. 

I wanted Daryl Clarke but he went higher up too. 

But in terms of a manager with a track record of getting promoted out of this division I don’t think we could have done better. 

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Every single game we have 3 players out of position, every game. We have absolutely 0 width and no options to change things. We still rely on Nathan Sheron to put on a shirt. 

The issue isn’t Mellon, the issue is whoever handled/handles recruitment. Whoever the fuck that is as I genuinely don’t know. 

Him and Brabin since October...

He's just underperformed unfortunately with both the players he has inherited, some of who should be easily good enough to get us into the top 7 in this league, and his signings have failed to impress or make us better.

His win ratio with us is worse than any club he has managed bar Dundee so something isn't right.

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I wanted Daryl Clarke but he went higher up too. 

But in terms of a manager with a track record of getting promoted out of this division I don’t think we could have done better. 

Plenty of you, including the decision makers, seem to have been seduced by the track record without maybe thinking about the wider picture.

Was he the right fit character wise? You know his football is dreadful to watch, are you and the fans prepared for that? Did the squad need a disciplinarian or someone with a lighter touch?

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Plenty of you, including the decision makers, seem to have been seduced by the track record without maybe thinking about the wider picture.

Was he the right fit character wise? You know his football is dreadful to watch, are you and the fans prepared for that? Did the squad need a disciplinarian or someone with a lighter touch?

I wouldn’t be hiring anyone for this squad. About 6 are worthy of our shirt. 

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Every single game we have 3 players out of position, every game. We have absolutely 0 width and no options to change things. We still rely on Nathan Sheron to put on a shirt. 

The issue isn’t Mellon, the issue is whoever handled/handles recruitment. Whoever the fuck that is as I genuinely don’t know. 

I disagree. 

A lot of this is choice. 

Sav is Fit- plays Magehy. 

Plays biscuits legs as a left winger. 

Plays Ollie as a right winger. 

Plays two midgets up front- none of which are know for their aerial  prowess and they lose every duel against their 6foot plus defenders- not their fault but it rendered them both completely ineffective. 

Constant rotation of players even if they’ve played well. 

The tactics he says he doesn’t want or endorse (hoof) the players constantly revert to. . . 

Too many times- the whole team are awful. If the whole team are panicking in possession, passing to the opposition, lacking fight, not working hard enough- then it suggests something deeper. Not every player at the club is absolutely dire, and yet that’s what we are seeing. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

I wouldn’t be hiring anyone for this squad. About 6 are worthy of our shirt. 

Seems unlikely that many of them will be going anywhere so your man will be working with much the same next season.

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Seems unlikely that many of them will be going anywhere so your man will be working with much the same next season.

About 17 at last count and apparently Hogan has a new deal, how fucking depressing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It needs work yes, but there’s to many times under Mellon where they’re all awful, not poor, absolutely awful. When the entire team is repeatedly shit, and many of them have played higher it goes beyond the players. 

Mellon is taking us backwards. 

We used 6 players who were 30 yrs plus today, and another 3 who were 28.

We need some youth and energy and what we have he rarely plays.

Where is Sachdev? Why not give Sutton a go at centre back?

Our strikers combined age was 68.....says it all.....

• Like 3

Just now, Londonboy said:

Agreed mate. 

What’s ironic is that Mellon has said he wants leaders and characters. . and what he’s got is a load of old pro’s who can’t be arsed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

It's a good point, I dont want to watch our pensioners getting the runaround off younger fitter teams, it's soul destroying.

Get Atherton in on the wing, like you say give Sutton a run of games in his favoured position. Just change something because it's patently obvious that this group is going nowhere.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Track record is all I have to go off obviously. I have no idea what he's like as a person or what the players are like as people, so I am not qualified to make that judgement. Neither are you.

His record is one of success when given time. You and many others now, have decided you don't want to give him time because he's not been a hit in his first few months. Whilst also incidentally, slagging off just about every player on the books. If so many of them are not up to it, doesn't that suggest the manager should get more time?

It's just far too simplistic to say when things aren't going well... sack the manager, replace all the players. He gets a 2nd season for me to try and prove he's the right man, despite how shit they've been this month.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Track record is all I have to go off obviously. I have no idea what he's like as a person or what the players are like as people, so I am not qualified to make that judgement. Neither are you.

His record is one of success when given time. You and many others now, have decided you don't want to give him time because he's not been a hit in his first few months. Whilst also incidentally, slagging off just about every player on the books. If so many of them are not up to it, doesn't that suggest the manager should get more time?

It's just far too simplistic to say when things aren't going well... sack the manager, replace all the players. He gets a 2nd season for me to try and prove he's the right man, despite how shit they've been this month.

He wasn’t brought in to be gradual 3 year promotion man. He was brought in as a serial winner. He said himself the target this season is playoffs and he’s failing. . 

If we finished 5th this season and didn’t go up- I would say he’s done ok/met target and definitely deserves another crack next season. 

However, to have taken over with us in 13th and now be 9th (with 6 new signings)  is failure in my view. And the trouble is he gets no credit in the  bank next season for moving us up 4 places. 

He was brought in to get us into the playoffs, and It’s results based business. . .

He’s under massive pressure next season in my view. 

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

He wasn’t brought in to be gradual 3 year promotion man. He was brought in as a serial winner. He said himself the target this season is playoffs and he’s failing. . 

If we finished 5th this season and didn’t go up- I would say he’s done ok/met target and definitely deserves another crack next season. 

However, to have taken over with us in 13th and now be 9th (with 6 new signings)  is failure in my view. And the trouble is he gets no credit in the  bank next season for moving us up 4 places. 

He was brought in to get us into the playoffs, and It’s results based business. . .

He’s under massive pressure next season in my view. 

I disagree, to an extent. He’s not an Allardyce type appointment brought in on a 6 month deal. He’s been brought in to get us promoted yes, but giving him a 3 year deal implies the club accept it’s not necessarily something that should be expected immediately. His record shows that given time he usually achieves it. 

Of course the last few weeks has been a huge disappointment. Once in the play offs we shouldn’t have dropped out.  But in my opinion that shouldn’t disqualify him from the opportunity to address the squad issues over a full summer. 

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

but giving him a 3 year deal implies the club accept it’s not necessarily something that should be expected immediately.

That cuts both ways- 

Ok- we haven’t gone up in year one.

But to not even be in the playoffs with his record?? 

As it stands- he’s underperforming quite significantly, by the standards his record suggests, what he himself said he expects and I’m sure what the club expects. 

I wouldn’t sack him now, but he goes if we start poorly next season. Which would be very fair given the backing he’s had and the failure to live up to his record. 

He's the promotion guy, March and April is where he should be doing his best work, where he earns his corn and makes the difference and yet it has been the total opposite.

The decision makers must be absolutely horrified by it all.

Edited by deyres42

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

That cuts both ways- 

Ok- we haven’t gone up in year one.

But to not even be in the playoffs with his record?? 

As it stands- he’s underperforming quite significantly, by the standards his record suggests, what he himself said he expects and I’m sure what the club expects. 

I wouldn’t sack him now, but he goes if we start poorly next season. Which would be very fair given the backing he’s had and the failure to live up to his record. 

He’ll be under similar pressure if he starts his 2nd season like Unsworth did. 

i think we’ll get a good idea of where we’re heading over the summer. There were still some glaring squad issues that weren't resolved last summer. That should be job number 1 for Mellon this summer. 

• Like 1

It's looking more and more like he's got a big job this summer trying to get the players out the door who can't do it consistently for him. I do believe their is a lack of energy in this team it's sn experienced team but one that lacks energy and pace particularly in wide areas.

The manager has to take some of the blame but the players are the ones responsible for caving in today and over this last month.

If you were to replace the manger now. I guarantee that you will get initial an burst of energy from the team but they will revert to type within a few months giving inconsistent performances. They've done it to 2 managers now they will do it to another.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

He’ll be under similar pressure if he starts his 2nd season like Unsworth did. 

i think we’ll get a good idea of where we’re heading over the summer. There were still some glaring squad issues that weren't resolved last summer. That should be job number 1 for Mellon this summer. 

The most important thing is actually scouting players currently playing exceptionally well, even at a lower level.

Players have been signed who haven't played for a long time on past reputation and that IMO is where the recruitment went wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, disjointed said:

Mellon gets the gig for next season, summer will see comings and goings, there are players here that are just not good enough, let's see what MM can do next season. 

It's going to take more than six months to give this team what it lacks  - pace, precision, poise, a sense of purpose  and above all pride.

Nobody in defence or especially midfield seems comfortable in possession. Take out the glimpses of Green and Dallas and there is nobody with pace to trouble the opposition. We are pedestrian and  predictable.

Recruitment for the last 2 years has, on the whole, been dreadful. Imagine if instead of blowing 100k on Nuttall we had forked out for Haughton (a proper link-up 10 and scorer) plus Conn Clarke, an attacking midfielder with goals.

And that's just 2 who spring to mind instead of our bunch of run hard headless chickens.

Until we can control possession,  pass and move, we are going nowhere.

A big summer beckons

• Like 1