Micky Mellon Sack Watch

19 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

He had a long period of good results. He's now had a period of bad results. He's not absolved of blame or of having any pressure on him when we have bad results of course but some of the reactions have been nuclear. The squad still has mostly the same issues it did last summer. I don't think one winter of transfer activity is enough for him to properly fix those issues. 

There are no obvious solutions in our current squad that he's leaving out so is it fair to heap as much pressure as this on him at this point? I don't think it is.

Yes, I agree. 

The main issue for me has been recruitment over the past 18 months. Some signings not working out is ok, it happens. I just don't understand the imbalance in the squad, and the fact that has not been addressed and we seemingly signed players that it did not look like we needed. We need some width and a bloody right back. Hopefully, we can sort that out this summer. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

They’re no obvious solutions because we don’t have a settled side. We did before the signings (Not perfect but settled) and results were much better. 

The pressure isn’t peak but it’s building. .

If we carry on as we are and finish poorly- he may end up on roughly 2/3 Wins in 14. 

Start next season poorly and we both know what the calls will be. 

Did we have a settled side? Sheron and Lundstram as a pair in the middle got a lot of stick and I don't remember many saying we've got a good team we don't need to make changes at any point this season!

A poor start to next season is a different story, I fully agree with you there. Mellon's track record gives me cause for optimisim though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BerlinBlue said:

Yes, I agree. 

The main issue for me has been recruitment over the past 18 months. Some signings not working out is ok, it happens. I just don't understand the imbalance in the squad, and the fact that has not been addressed and we seemingly signed players that it did not look like we needed. We need some width and a bloody right back. Hopefully, we can sort that out this summer. 

Yep. Some mistakes last summer definitely. But Thompson and the coaching team from then are gone. It's a big summer ahead of us.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm getting to the stage where I feel this group and the club have given up on this season.

35 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Fans can only see the surface. We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. 

This isn't 1st hand but is a summary of what I was told recently. Promotion was the immediate aim when the new owner/s came in. It was the aim again this season; both for Unsworth and for MM. It has recently been accepted it's not going to happen, largely due to a bloated squad of inadequate players. The season ticket price was set accordingly (i.e. to be in this league next season). MM is going nowhere and there will be a huge clearout in the summer (by whatever means necessary). We must be promoted next season. All important footballing decisions have been entrusted to "the Royles" so I`m assuming that to mean Darren and Joe (and I don't even know what position either holds tbh, I was only here for the football on the pitch).

Make of it what you will.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

This isn't 1st hand but is a summary of what I was told recently. Promotion was the immediate aim when the new owner/s came in. It was the aim again this season; both for Unsworth and for MM. It has recently been accepted it's not going to happen, largely due to a bloated squad of inadequate players. The season ticket price was set accordingly (i.e. to be in this league next season). MM is going nowhere and there will be a huge clearout in the summer (by whatever means necessary). We must be promoted next season. All important footballing decisions have been entrusted to "the Royles" so I`m assuming that to mean Darren and Joe (and I don't even know what position either holds tbh, I was only here for the football on the pitch).

That’s probably not far from the truth. I’m not sure it would be as end of days as it’s being made out here. The Rothwell’s are hardened business people and the projects they’ve undertaken in terms of redevelopments don’t marry up with a rhetoric of “if it doesn’t happen next season, we’re all buggered”. They want to leave a legacy behind, for the town to enjoy.

if it doesn’t happen next season it’s likely a readjustment of the way the football team is funded happens and we work under a smaller budget with less marquee type signings. Which altogether might not be the worst thing.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Man in a pub?

7 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Man in a pub?

? If you mean was it random bar room gossip, definitely not. It was a past business acquaintance whom I caught up with. Like I said, make of it what you will.

18 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

That’s probably not far from the truth. I’m not sure it would be as end of days as it’s being made out here. The Rothwell’s are hardened business people and the projects they’ve undertaken in terms of redevelopments don’t marry up with a rhetoric of “if it doesn’t happen next season, we’re all buggered”. They want to leave a legacy behind, for the town to enjoy.

if it doesn’t happen next season it’s likely a readjustment of the way the football team is funded happens and we work under a smaller budget with less marquee type signings. Which altogether might not be the worst thing.

The Rothwells are the basis for the bulk of my positivity! I think we're on the way, it just may not happen as quickly as we'd all like. But I feel fully confident we'll be back in the efl soon. So if we have an imbalanced squad now that's not delivering, I'd back them to get the right people in place eventually - coaching and players.

Whereas under previous ownership, it felt that if things were to go wrong the whole future of the club was in jeopardy. Issues like we have now are likely to be a temporary setback, not terminal.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

That’s probably not far from the truth. 

Having just listened to MM's post match, I think what I was told might well hold water. He's not a man under pressure. And he's not a man bombing for the play offs is he? It would explain a lot if we have already accepted our fate this season. All seems bizarre but I`m not privy to the full details of the back story. 

Edited by spanishfly

3 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Having just listened to MM's post match, I think what I was told might well hold water. He's not a man under pressure. And he's not a man bombing for the play offs is he? It would explain a lot if we have already accepted our fate this season. All seems bizarre but I`m not privy to the full details of the back story. 

I'd be very surprised given we were actually in the play offs that it's just been accepted by everyone that it's ok to not go up this season.

However, if there's an acceptence at board level that the likelihood is we'll still be in this league next season given the players we have, then that'd be understandable.

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Get back to playing and behaving like underdogs. Always suited Oldham teams and our mentality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I'd be very surprised given we were actually in the play offs that it's just been accepted by everyone that it's ok to not go up this season.

I see via someone else's post on another thread that Skybet and BetVictor are currently offering odds of 100/1 (and I have checked myself, it's true) re. Latics to get promoted!

Somebody knows we are not going up for sure, with odds like that.

Edited by spanishfly

5 hours ago, nzlatic said:

However, if there's an acceptence at board level that the likelihood is we'll still be in this league next season given the players we have, then that'd be understandable.

It is unquestionably a disappointment that we look very likely to miss out on the playoffs given where we were 5 or 6 weeks ago, no one should avoid responsibility for it.

But I can't see us being a significantly smaller team at this level next season and we almost certainly will have an advantage budget-wise over almost everyone who's in the league, even without parachute payments. 

For me the big review should be the strategy for how to use the advantage in the best way possible, which in my mind wouldn't just be focusing the budget on the first team and would be putting more of an emphasis on a conveyor belt from youth team to first team to potentially playing at the highest level.  That will make us a healthy club for years to come, regardless of what division we're in.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

It is unquestionably a disappointment that we look very likely to miss out on the playoffs given where we were 5 or 6 weeks ago, no one should avoid responsibility for it.

But I can't see us being a significantly smaller team at this level next season and we almost certainly will have an advantage budget-wise over almost everyone who's in the league, even without parachute payments. 

For me the big review should be the strategy for how to use the advantage in the best way possible, which in my mind wouldn't just be focusing the budget on the first team and would be putting more of an emphasis on a conveyor belt from youth team to first team to potentially playing at the highest level.  That will make us a healthy club for years to come, regardless of what division we're in.

I completely agree Bosh, but I’ll be astonished if Mellon brings any youth players through. He wants old heads. 

2 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

We've still got the problem that it's a big jump from youth to first team. I wish the B team had taken off

Edited by Dave_Og

14 hours ago, spanishfly said:

I see via someone else's post on another thread that Skybet and BetVictor are currently offering odds of 100/1 (and I have checked myself, it's true) re. Latics to get promoted!

Somebody knows we are not going up for sure, with odds like that.

Ah another conspiracy theorist ?

It just reflects what the bookies perceive as our actual chance of going up given our current form.

23 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It just reflects what the bookies perceive as our actual chance of going up given our current form.

That and other liabilities in their book.  Bookies have algorithms rather than opinions these days; the objective of bookmaking is to be profitable whatever the outcome.

45 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Not at all mate, I`ve stuck £50 on at those odds.

Edited by spanishfly

49 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

That and other liabilities in their book.  Bookies have algorithms rather than opinions these days; the objective of bookmaking is to be profitable whatever the outcome.

Preaching to the converted there mate. I've been "knocked back" quite a few times. 🙄