Micky Mellon Sack Watch

1 minute ago, spanishfly said:

Agreed. Please add the likes of Lundstram and Conlon to your midfield get rid list though. After watching us for just 3 games starting back in January, it was obvious that midfield was our major weakness. So many times, poor teams have completely overrun us in the middle of the park. Awful recruitment in a vital area of the pitch.

Personally am not willing to write these two off yet. But I absolutely get your point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Think Darren Royle should be given a bit of slack (although he certainly shouldn't be bulletproof).

Folk forget that if he didn't go knocking on Franks door, we'd have gone bump.

That’s not how business works. If he is the right man to be CEO then fine. If he is not then he shouldn’t be in the role.

i thank him for what he did but there is no room for such sentimental bullshit 

28 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

it’s not a difficult decision. A new manager will still inherit the same problems next season.

We have to stick to a plan and see that plan through. Offer MM the chance to make sweeping changes and hope that it’s enough to turn a squad (that still won’t quite be there, it must be said) from play-off fringes to where Bromley and Barney are; two teams which have evolved to where they are over 3-4 seasons.

Sacking MM, as much as a growing number of fans want to do, simply puts us at bigger risk of a repeat season.

Mellon's plan seems to be turn over 20 players and a big dollop of Trust me bro, hardly inspiring stuff.

Tranmere fan here,

When Micky was appointed I said he would get you promotion, he obviously has had a poor start but I still fully believe that if you stick with him he will get you up next season.

The thing with Micky is he takes no prisoners, he demands the right attitude and that people are at a very minimum putting everything to do with the team above anything else. At Tranmere this led to a period where Andy Cook for us was dropped despite him being arguably our best player because he wasn't putting in the stats on the pitch

I don't know much about your squad but he likes experience, strikers who will press and more importantly those will not back out of tackles and will not stop running for 90 mins

I can see you bringing in a few of our out of contract players if he does stay and wouldn't be shocked if Yarney is one of them, he has done well for us when called upon but he will never get ahead of Tunrbull and Davies in our side. 

The other thing I would add is that Brabin is extremely good at recruiting at this level, it was his biggest strength for us. I really do believe that with a full summer they will get you where you want to be

• Like 9

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Mellon's plan seems to be turn over 20 players and a big dollop of Trust me bro, hardly inspiring stuff.

It's probably worked before, after his post match interview it is clear he knows both what he wants and more importantly what's required, I suspect he has four or five players lined up to come in but has given the board the ultimatum back me or sack me. As has been pointed out he's tipped it all out of the bag now and there will be no return from that, it's now the clubs choice but I suspect he fears he'll have to work with largely the same squad and that's why he's so despondent. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

What do you expect. A ten point strategy?

the guys has said the players are not good enough and he knows what we need. Thank god he sees it the same way as us. 

He has every right to say ‘trust me’ as he is the football man within the club enTRUSTED to manage that side of this project based on his knowledge and experience. He doesn’t have to explain himself at every turn. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trfc2024 said:

Tranmere fan here,

When Micky was appointed I said he would get you promotion, he obviously has had a poor start but I still fully believe that if you stick with him he will get you up next season.

The thing with Micky is he takes no prisoners, he demands the right attitude and that people are at a very minimum putting everything to do with the team above anything else. At Tranmere this led to a period where Andy Cook for us was dropped despite him being arguably our best player because he wasn't putting in the stats on the pitch

I don't know much about your squad but he likes experience, strikers who will press and more importantly those will not back out of tackles and will not stop running for 90 mins

I can see you bringing in a few of our out of contract players if he does stay and wouldn't be shocked if Yarney is one of them, he has done well for us when called upon but he will never get ahead of Tunrbull and Davies in our side. 

The other thing I would add is that Brabin is extremely good at recruiting at this level, it was his biggest strength for us. I really do believe that with a full summer they will get you where you want to be

Don't mind him bringing in some players he's worked with before but the problem is that EFL players want decent money to drop down to the NL. We've seen lots of talented players in this league who hopefully would jump at the chance of coming here,wouldn't cost the earth and would possibly have decent resale potential.

Unless there's a break clause in his contract based on performance I don't think we've any choice but to stick with Mellon but he's on thin ice with more and more of our supporters.

17 minutes ago, trfc2024 said:

Tranmere fan here,

Yet he hasn't dropped Norwood, probably the most underperforming player in the last dozen games.

And if Brabin had anything to do with it the January signings  have been a big flop.

Edited by BP1960

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Yet he hasn't dropped Norwood, probably the most underperforming player in the last dozen games.

But he does a lot of pressing and running. So kinda backs up what trfc has said. 

Also whilst January may not be the optimum time to sign players, as many have said on here as an excuse for the under performance of those he has brought in, but that’s just people regurgitating shit that they hear pundits commenting on the premier league say.

this is not elite sport. This is a world away from the premier league. A competent player should be able to slot into a team at this level very quickly. We are not a finely tuned machine playing precision football. 

It’s really shouldn’t be as difficult as it’s being made out to be to field a team who can compete in the top third of this league 

we’ve signed lots of players mid season before who have come in and made a difference. 

Edited by AndyB2
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

What do you expect. A ten point strategy?

the guys has said the players are not good enough and he knows what we need. Thank god he sees it the same way as us. 

He has every right to say ‘trust me’ as he is the football man within the club enTRUSTED to manage that side of this project based on his knowledge and experience. He doesn’t have to explain himself at every turn. 

Results suggest the players were fine when he started in the job, they've got worse the longer he has had time to implement his 'plans'.

Seems unlikely that he'll be able to move vast swathes of under contract players out and bring a load in.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Results suggest the players were fine when he started in the job, they've got worse the longer he has had time to implement his 'plans'.

Seems unlikely that he'll be able to move vast swathes of under contract players out and bring a load in.

‘Cracks were just papered over, that’s all. It wasn’t fine.

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

So you automatically judge the quality of the team and it’s mentality based on the purple patch of the season and conclude that because of said purple patch they must be good enough? 

2 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

So you automatically judge the quality of the team and it’s mentality based on the purple patch of the season and conclude that because of said purple patch they must be good enough? 

We are getting into only certain results matter territory there, it is a fact that things have got worse the longer he has been in situ, which is supposed to be the opposite of one of Mellon's stated strengths...

10 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

We are getting into only certain results matter territory there, it is a fact that things have got worse the longer he has been in situ, which is supposed to be the opposite of one of Mellon's stated strengths...

Well no, we will finish in the same position as we were in when he came into the job. Not getting better is a lot different to getting worse.

The team is where it is because of its limited capability. we started shit, looked ok for 22 games in the middle and looked shit again towards the end.  Mellon couldn’t change the trajectory. 

and I don’t know what ‘we are getting into only certain results matter territory’ means. I am the one taking a whole season perspective here 

Edited by AndyB2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

So what?

So are you an advocate of not playing your leading goalscorer and penalty taker?. Especially If you've nothing behind better. Come on AndyB2 you've better arguments than that. 

Edited by Lags

1 hour ago, Uppermill Latics said:

Why this obsession with paying players off? Tell them in no uncertain terms that even though they are under contract, they will not be part of the first team picture next season and they are welcome to go out on loan for the season or seek a permanent move away. Most footballers, despite what we may think, would probably prefer to be playing rather than sidelined doing nowt!

Don’t you think they’ve already been trying to do that….

1 minute ago, Lags said:

So are you an advocate of not playing your leading goalscorer and penalty taker?. Especially If you've nothing behind better. Come on AndyB2 you've better arguments than that. 

I am advocating that you can drop your leading scorer. No more than that. 

I am advocating that you can drop your leading scorer. No more than that. 

Which he has on more than one occasion. In the main,  you play your goalscorer. 

Edited by Lags

Well no, we will finish in the same position as we were in when he came into the job. Not getting better is a lot different to getting worse.

The team is where it is because of its limited capability. we started shit, looked ok for 22 games in the middle and looked shit again towards the end.  Mellon couldn’t change the trajectory. 

and I don’t know what ‘we are getting into only certain results matter territory’ means. I am the one taking a whole season perspective here 

The form table lads were jumping up and down in delight when the results were there and they were measuring the manager up for his statue.

Now they've turned it is all on the players and whoever signed them and nobody could possibly get a tune out of them anyway.

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The form table lads were jumping up and down in delight when the results were there and they were measuring the manager up for his statue.

Now they've turned it is all on the players and whoever signed them and nobody could possibly get a tune out of them anyway.

Yep it looked good ar one point m. The trajectory was good then and  we all get caught up in the moment. But you can only judge things over the whole season. The nature of our start proved there was a major weakness in the team. 

Edited by AndyB2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Yep it looked good ar one point m. The trajectory was good then and  we all get caught up in the moment. But you can only judge things over the whole season. The nature of our start proved there was a major weakness in the team. 

We are forgetting during that good run most home performances were abysmal. That was the real problem not addressed by MM.