Micky Mellon Sack Watch

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

I think I heard Norwood get jeered when he held the ball up out wide but then lost it because there was no one within 30 yards. Again, neatly summarising our problem - a total lack of desire from too many in the team. 

But sure, let’s hound out the top scorer who makes an effort because he’s having a lean spell. 

He's been shit, we looked better without him for an hour and in comparison to Garner who I'm presuming had the same poor service he was miles behind, he's scored about 10 from open play so he's hardly pulling any trees up, we've also not won a game in the last eleven he's been involved in which is some record. The fact he thinks he can bitch at everyone all the time despite being absolutely shite himself pretty much sums him up for me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I think I heard Norwood get jeered when he held the ball up out wide but then lost it because there was no one within 30 yards. Again, neatly summarising our problem - a total lack of desire from too many in the team. 

But sure, let’s hound out the top scorer who makes an effort because he’s having a lean spell. 

I’m not a fan of Norwood, but thought the same when that happened. No desire to get up the pitch and offer support.

4 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

I’m not a fan of Norwood, but thought the same when that happened. No desire to get up the pitch and offer support.

It was staggering. And this is the thing I’m getting at @yarddog73 - I’m not saying Norwood is faultless. I just think he’s been let down by so many in that team. And as for how he deals with that, it might be wrong and might upset his teammates but at least it shows he cares to some degree. Otherwise he wouldn’t kick off at them. So I don’t get why he gets the boos and the chants about being a waste of money when there are so many others who clearly couldn’t give enough of a fuck. 

Garner had the same problem - won a lot of battles tonight but so often the midfield was 20 yards behind him so it was futile. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

It was staggering. And this is the thing I’m getting at @yarddog73 - I’m not saying Norwood is faultless. I just think he’s been let down by so many in that team. And as for how he deals with that, it might be wrong and might upset his teammates but at least it shows he cares to some degree. Otherwise he wouldn’t kick off at them. So I don’t get why he gets the boos and the chants about being a waste of money when there are so many others who clearly couldn’t give enough of a fuck. 

Garner had the same problem - won a lot of battles tonight but so often the midfield was 20 yards behind him so it was futile. 

Norwood is far too good to be playing at this level

Atleast that's what's rattling about in that head of his and it shows

Edited by Littlemoor Lad
Missed text

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

They threw the money at more strikers in Garner and Dallas which was totally unnecessary when we had obvious weaknesses elsewhere. 

Doubt they threw too much at them. But both those signings are in the exact criteria of being available because they weren't playing

44 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Doubt they threw too much at them. But both those signings are in the exact criteria of being available because they weren't playing

Mellon’s been dealt a bad hand, no doubt about it, but based on the job he’s done over 30 odd games would you put him in charge of the budget next season if it was your money he was spending…I’m really no sure I would!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Mellon’s been dealt a bad hand, no doubt about it, but based on the job he’s done over 30 odd games would you put him in charge of the budget next season if it was your money he was spending…I’m really no sure I would!

He's failed miserably - both literally and metaphorically. Not bothered if he quits but unless we have a performance clause we can't afford to sack him.

9 minutes ago, mick26 said:

He's failed miserably - both literally and metaphorically. Not bothered if he quits but unless we have a performance clause we can't afford to sack him.

Well it’ll be a massive decision to give him the budget based on his performance this season. I wouldn’t like to be making it!

Whilst I appreciate that making a decision on the present based on the alternate is not ideal, I am left with "if not him then who...?"

We've tried novice (Unsworth), we've tried seasoned (Shez), we've tried novel (Selim), we've tried proven (MM), we've tried homegrown (Wild, Scholes)... we've tried a fuckload of managers and we've been consistently shit. Some have had pennies, some pounds.

I will keep asking - are poor results a direct result of a string of 20 shit managers, or symptom of a deeper root cause? 

Frank's put right a lot (LOT!) of things, but changing from a culture of expected failure to one of patient winning is hard.

We seem to want (expect) to exist in an impossible place...

Good-Fast-Cheap Triangle | Good things, Problem solving, Best 

• Like 3

If he goes we have a new manager, who believes or hopes he can get a tune out of a lot of the existing squad. He’s keeps more than Mellon plans to and we are in rinse and repeat. I’m not his biggest fan and it’s a risk either way. But I think we need to stick with Mellon. Few signings the excitement will be back and we go again.

I listened to MM's post-match and to me at least, he repeats the message from last Saturday with the compliment that the players last night "left everything on the pitch". I didn't see the game so I cannot possibly comment.

He does concede the goals were sloppy and we should have held the lead after which he mumbles about getting more quality in defence and attack when surely he should be saying we need more quality and pace in midfield. He also mentioned Green and having a winger on the pitch which is at odds with his comment regarding wingers being a thing of the past. Am I imagining things here?

If he walks, he walks and I won't be upset about it..we go again with a new manager who will inherit a squad largely inherited by the previous manger, albeit with a few additions and who will have to make his own additions. If this was to happen then a new incumbent would need to be in place as soon as possible..which is blindingly obvious.

With out of contract players leaving and hopefully a few more moved on [miracle required] I believe it is possible for Mellon to use his experience and contacts to get what we need. If he stays, he stays and that won't bother me especially if he makes some capable signings during the close season.

"I know what good looks like and where to get it"
Let's hope you do.

• Like 2

It's a difficult decision. The major problem is, I cannot see how we have improved under Mellon. The football is no better than it was under Unsworth in my view and see no sign of those 'incremental' improvements. He complains about players on long contracts, but his recruitment (with the exception of Stones) has (so far) been questionable. However, it is a little unfair to judge, without MM having had an opportunity to recruit over a summer. I think ultimately the board have made their decision and now need to back him. Which I think they will (given they certainly gave Unsworth a fair shake). What is for certain is that the age of this squad needs to come down dramatically, we need pace and we need players who actually play in their positions. Hoping some kids get a run out tomorrow!

2 hours ago, StoodinaBoshell said:

It's a difficult decision. The major problem is, I cannot see how we have improved under Mellon. The football is no better than it was under Unsworth in my view and see no sign of those 'incremental' improvements. He complains about players on long contracts, but his recruitment (with the exception of Stones) has (so far) been questionable. However, it is a little unfair to judge, without MM having had an opportunity to recruit over a summer. I think ultimately the board have made their decision and now need to back him. Which I think they will (given they certainly gave Unsworth a fair shake). What is for certain is that the age of this squad needs to come down dramatically, we need pace and we need players who actually play in their positions. Hoping some kids get a run out tomorrow!

He will play the same failures, I doubt he's seen the youth team play.

Edited by BP1960

26 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Back Mellon, break the cycle that has got us here over the last 30 years. The man is proven, he is not the issue. 

Most of the players here are proven, counts for nothing if they can't do it anymore. Same goes for managers.

I would be happy to keep him, but Eyresy has a point : my stance is more due to his previous track record as opposed to anything he's done here since his appointment. His recent interviews have made me think he might knock it on the head after Wealdstone, but then last night he seemed much more positive about the squad in his interview...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

His recent interviews have made me think he might knock it on the head after Wealdstone, but then last night he seemed much more positive about the squad in his interview...

He ripped them apart in his last after match interview!

Do you think that maybe it’s because of a realisation that he’ll have to work with the majority of this lot next season? 

The fact that he hasn’t managed to get a tune out of the vast majority of them over 30+ games and 7 months in the job suggests he’s going to struggle.

It’s extremely worrying in my opinion!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BP1960 said:

That first half v Halifax was the worst passing I've seen from any team, even at pub level.

Mellon should hang his head in shame at turning out a team like that.

You've never liked Mellon, why?. Do you think you'd get a tune out this bunch of fakes.

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if he walks despite how despondent he sounds since he's sat on a 3yr contract. It's more a case of him backing the board into a corner which given his contract puts him in a position of relative power. Same with some of the players unfortunately. We might be paying the price for sometime.

16 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I'd be surprised if he walks despite how despondent he sounds since he's sat on a 3yr contract. It's more a case of him backing the board into a corner which given his contract puts him in a position of relative power. Same with some of the players unfortunately. We might be paying the price for sometime.

His post match last night was very revealing imho.

He knows that he is stuck with a high number of the current underperforming squad for next season.

He knows that he needs to bring in a high number of better players next season.

He knows that, in order to bring in more than the budget will allow, he has to move on a number of the contracted players.