Micky Mellon Sack Watch

9 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Yep it looked good at one point 

We got a few freak results predominantly away from home but let’s be clear on this….apart from Wrexham at home last season and Chesterfield at home this season we have never, ever, looked good!

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We are forgetting during that good run most home performances were abysmal. That was the real problem not addressed by MM.

Any good points to MM. Asking for a friend

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We are forgetting during that good run most home performances were abysmal. That was the real problem not addressed by MM.

Home form hasn't been addressed by about 30 managers since JR left us. We've lost on average 8-10 home matches every season since. You can't place that specific blame at MM's feet. 

Even Dowie's team. The hardest (in a physical sense) team I've ever seen us field, lost around 6-7 at home the season we made the play-offs. The issue is an endemic one.

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Don’t think we are. We all knew there were structural vulnerabilities there. 

said it after Halifax at home last season that I didnt trust the team as I felt they had ‘Halifax’s’ in it. And we are nowhere near eradicating these.

16 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

We got a few freak results predominantly away from home but let’s be clear on this….apart from Wrexham at home last season and Chesterfield at home this season we have never, ever, looked good!

It looked good - as in we were picking up lots of points and were closing in on 4th place and maybe higher.

the team did not look anything better than bang average. I agree 

14 hours ago, League one forever said:

You didn’t. I did- I was giving an example of how long we may wait with  your expectations, and the unrealistic nature of not expecting anything to happen in the first two years. 

Eh? Neither are you, and yet you talk in absolute terms of how a football club works - when in reality you have  no idea. I’ve never claimed to know- I can only go what off DR says in public at fans forums, to OASF, to the pod - you then look and see how that affects what happens on the pitch. Which is our only barometer. So of course I’m looking at what happens on the pitch- it’s the sole reason why we bother supporting them. 

No, sorry- a new owner does exactly that. Football is a very small world, and word very quickly gets out that Oldham have money - don’t seem to remember us struggling to give Scunthorpe 100k for nuttall and pay him good wages and deal with his agent. Agents will be falling over themselves to offer us players, why - because we pay good money, our recruitment and length of contract tell you that. Our scouting network was sorted in the first few months, and has produced nothing. Our coaching set up below first team is very good with muzza and chucks doing a great job with the youth. So that doesn’t wash. 

I actually think we’re agreed here. 

Mellon needs to take responsibility for his part, but he is not solely responsible for the mess we find ourselves in and it needs everybody The Rothwells - DR - the board - Mellon in the summer to tell some home truths. 

What makes having a discussion on a message board really difficult sometimes is when people argue points you haven’t made because it makes it easier for them to be right. I started replying to this but I can’t be bothered so I’ll just leave it. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

What makes having a discussion on a message board really difficult sometimes is when people argue points you haven’t made because it makes it easier for them to be right.

Quite. . and you did the exact same to me. 

Are you telling me that you don’t think you’re right as well. . of course you do. Which is fine. 

It’s the nature of debate- two opposing views who both think their view is the correct one. We agree on a lot of things, some things we don’t. That’s life. 

2 hours ago, trfc2024 said:

Tranmere fan here,

When Micky was appointed I said he would get you promotion, he obviously has had a poor start but I still fully believe that if you stick with him he will get you up next season.

The thing with Micky is he takes no prisoners, he demands the right attitude and that people are at a very minimum putting everything to do with the team above anything else. At Tranmere this led to a period where Andy Cook for us was dropped despite him being arguably our best player because he wasn't putting in the stats on the pitch

I don't know much about your squad but he likes experience, strikers who will press and more importantly those will not back out of tackles and will not stop running for 90 mins

I can see you bringing in a few of our out of contract players if he does stay and wouldn't be shocked if Yarney is one of them, he has done well for us when called upon but he will never get ahead of Tunrbull and Davies in our side. 

The other thing I would add is that Brabin is extremely good at recruiting at this level, it was his biggest strength for us. I really do believe that with a full summer they will get you where you want to be

Was hoping you would do the decent thing and let us have Morris and Hawkes but believe they have agreed another year!

Not sure who is out of contract but we seem to have been linked with Dan Pike. I'd prefer O'connor.  

Would Paul Lewis do us a job?

Edited by Boyyou

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Quite. . and you did the exact same to me. 

Are you telling me that you don’t think you’re right as well. . of course you do. Which is fine. 

It’s the nature of debate- two opposing views who both think their view is the correct one. We agree on a lot of things, some things we don’t. That’s life. 

Did I? I try to only respond to things people say so if I’ve misrepresented what you’ve said somewhere then I’ll retract. 

This is what I think I’m right about… I think it’s the right thing to do to give Mellon proper time to change the squad. I wouldn’t say that I 100% think he will come good. I just think it’s right to give people the time and the resources they need to be a success in their jobs. Mellon has not had that yet. So I disagree with people calling for his sacking or even judging him in really strong terms yet. 

I also think it’s the right thing to do to give the board some slack with their decision making. To accept that they will get things wrong but that over time things will move forward. So harsh judgement there is premature in my opinion. 

That doesn’t mean that Mellon or the board are above criticism. Or that no one is allowed to say anything against them. Or we shouldn’t be expectant or demanding as a fan base. All of those accusations have been levelled at anyone who dares to suggest patience. But the language I heard yesterday at the game and on here for a while now is just so over the top. You’d think we were heading for oblivion. It’s making it for me the worst time I’ve ever had being a latics fan. Even when we were close to the brink under the last lot there was a togetherness among the fan base. Now it just seems like most fans are in a competition to be the most angry that things aren’t working yet. It’s really depressing.

And the worst thing is I don’t think it stops if we get promoted, only paused. I think the feeling will be the same until we hit the top 7 of league 1. Anything other than a constant upward movement will be seen as failure until we get to that level. I really hope I’m totally wrong about that one. 

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Did I? I try to only respond to things people say so if I’ve misrepresented what you’ve said somewhere then I’ll retract. 

This is what I think I’m right about… I think it’s the right thing to do to give Mellon proper time to change the squad. I wouldn’t say that I 100% think he will come good. I just think it’s right to give people the time and the resources they need to be a success in their jobs. Mellon has not had that yet. So I disagree with people calling for his sacking or even judging him in really strong terms yet. 

I also think it’s the right thing to do to give the board some slack with their decision making. To accept that they will get things wrong but that over time things will move forward. So harsh judgement there is premature in my opinion. 

That doesn’t mean that Mellon or the board are above criticism. Or that no one is allowed to say anything against them. Or we shouldn’t be expectant or demanding as a fan base. All of those accusations have been levelled at anyone who dares to suggest patience. But the language I heard yesterday at the game and on here for a while now is just so over the top. You’d think we were heading for oblivion. It’s making it for me the worst time I’ve ever had being a latics fan. Even when we were close to the brink under the last lot there was a togetherness among the fan base. Now it just seems like most fans are in a competition to be the most angry that things aren’t working yet. It’s really depressing.

And the worst thing is I don’t think it stops if we get promoted, only paused. I think the feeling will be the same until we hit the top 7 of league 1. Anything other than a constant upward movement will be seen as failure until we get to that level. I really hope I’m totally wrong about that one. 

your last points particularly resonate. But it’s very hard to strike a balance as a football fan. It’s either amazing / very positive or a disaster. There’s not really  happy middle ground.

I don’t think our fans know what success looks like. Most use the last 80s / early 90s as a benchmark. 

ok it was largely, but not wholly, tongue in cheek but the HMS piss the league shite at the beginning of the season was a case in point 

3 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

Now I have been the biggest critic of these players for some time and others seem to be seeing the light now with a lack of posts trying to claim that are better than their league position. They are not. Some muppet suggested McGahey was a good player a few weeks ago. 

but to suggest that are relegation fodder is probably a step too far 

Think you're thinking of me. What I did was call bullshit on your labouring the point that McGahey couldn't ever feature in a successful non league side.

Since then, following Altrincham away, the manager has singled him out as being "fantastic".

McGahey can look clumsy at times and it might be that which clouds your view because he's a useful player in this division, if only for his versitality. Clearly Mellon likes him having firstly brought him back into the fold and then again following the Christmas Day incident alongside Reid.

I'm sure that had McGahey played centre half for Chesterfield they'd have still won the division 👍 

4 minutes ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

Think you're thinking of me. What I did was call bullshit on your labouring the point that McGahey couldn't ever feature in a successful non league side.

Since then, following Altrincham away, the manager has singled him out as being "fantastic".

McGahey can look clumsy at times and it might be that which clouds your view because he's a useful player in this division, if only for his versitality. Clearly Mellon likes him having firstly brought him back into the fold and then again following the Christmas Day incident alongside Reid.

I'm sure that had McGahey played centre half for Chesterfield they'd have still won the division 👍 

I would struggle to disagree with anything more than this. Thanks 

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

That’s fine- you are willing to be patient with the board and Mellon for the reasons you mention. 

I disagree with that, for the reasons I’ve said previously.

I don’t want to be right, over the club doing well. If Mellon can sort it and the board get their act together - then happy days. We all want success. 

On the fans- I honestly believe we are no different to any other club. We sold over 4000 season tickets in the fifth tier. We have an expensive squad and a manager with a big reputation. We have won one game in 9 and seen our hopes not just dashed but completely shit on. Everybody is pissed off. I don’t condone the vitriol, and it’s not my bag but fans reflect society and everyone is different. I said this the other week, everybody- the manager, fans, board need a break from it all. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

3 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

8 minutes ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

Chesterfield would have won the league with me playing.

let’s put it differently. We won’t get in the playoffs if we are reliant on McGahey (and sheron) to do the jobs they are doing presently unless the other 9 or 10 are head and shoulders above the rest of the league, which is unlikely 

9 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Chesterfield would have won the league with me playing.

let’s put it differently. We won’t get in the playoffs if we are reliant on McGahey (and sheron) to do the jobs they are doing presently unless the other 9 or 10 are head and shoulders above the rest of the league, which is unlikely 

Rather than being head and shoulders above the rest, Chesterfield's centre halves have been non league journeyman and probably earn less money than McGahey.

For that reason coupled with the likely want for as much new blood as possible, I doubt McGahey will get a new deal. But don't be too surprised if he does..

I think Grimes at Chesterfield is a cart horse and looked worse than our centrehalfs at our place but he got the job done, he'll struggle in League 2 though. Chesterfield went up because they went for it week after week and just outscored everyone regardless of how weak they were at the back.

• Like 1

You know the one thing that annoys me in all this is the players attitude . We have probaly have around a dozen players who will be quite content to sit around on their backsides doing cock all and probably not play for another season . I know they are within their rights . But some of these are young enough to move on and make a name elsewhere and play football which is what they want to do isnt it ?  Or has football created a culture of lazy dont give a fck attention seeking players . Football is a short career why waste so much of it not playing . I actually wonder if some of these players actually want to play . They talk a good fight , some of them need to grow some and get on with it or get out.

24 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I get the impression it's easier to get Israel and Hamas to see eye to eye than @League one foreverand @nzlatic 😂

😂😂

That’s not wholly true to be fair. (Not from my end anyway) He makes lots of points I agree with, and even if I don’t agree I enjoy the debate because he’s usually fair and balanced. 

In my view he’s to forgiving and understanding for the position we find ourselves in, he may think I’m to demanding and don’t accept the bigger picture enough. That’s life. It’s ok to disagree, be a bit boring if we agreed all the time. 😁

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

You know the one thing that annoys me in all this is the players attitude . We have probaly have around a dozen players who will be quite content to sit around on their backsides doing cock all and probably not play for another season . I know they are within their rights . But some of these are young enough to move on and make a name elsewhere and play football which is what they want to do isnt it ?  Or has football created a culture of lazy dont give a fck attention seeking players . Football is a short career why waste so much of it not playing . I actually wonder if some of these players actually want to play . They talk a good fight , some of them need to grow some and get on with it or get out.

Players shouldn't be forced into moves they may not want to make just because one manager doesn't fancy them.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Players shouldn't be forced into moves they may not want to make just because one manager doesn't fancy them.

That surely must happen at most clubs most seasons.