Dallas - Norwood 

Norman

Gardner

Hammond

Garner

Fondop 

oh, and play it on the ground lads eh?

• Like 1

Regarding Big Dog's selection I cannot see what Dallas has to offer and would not have him in the starting line up. I think Fondop would  be a better foil to play alongside either Norwood or Gardner to start. Fondop and Gardner formed a good partnership while Norwood was not available. 

4 minutes ago, Norewgian Gunnar said:

Regarding Big Dog's selection I cannot see what Dallas has to offer and would not have him in the starting line up. I think Fondop would  be a better foil to play alongside either Norwood or Gardner to start. Fondop and Gardner formed a good partnership while Norwood was not available. 

That's bold of you to say.

• Like 13

23 minutes ago, Norewgian Gunnar said:

I agree he needs to do more, but the only time we looked anywhere near positive at Aldershot was when we had Dallas running at them...

• Like 1

Feeling a bit more optimistic today, but can see us doing something daft like going 2-0 up and end up losing 3-2.

Play a spine of Hudson, Hobson, Sheron and Fondop.  Pick names out of a hat after that..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

If I was picking the team…
Hudson

Hobson - Raglan - Hogan

Sachdev - Conlon - Sheron - Lundstram - Kitching

Dallas - Norwood 

Norman

Gardner

Hammond

Garner

Fondop 

I think that's going to be exactly what the lineup is...

1 hour ago, Norewgian Gunnar said:

Dallas offers direct running and, having played for Chesterfield on loan, should be up for it. His fitness when he arrived was poor but he showed glimpses at Aldershot of what he could bring to the team.

I am not a huge fan of Fondop. Granted he works hard and brings an unorthodox style to the team but his touch is average and, imho,  he doesn’t have what I call ‘football intelligence’.

I’d rather have him as an impact player coming off the bench if needed.

On 3/14/2024 at 11:51 PM, TheBigDog said:

Anyone beginning to question whether Mellon is the right man for the job or is there another thread for this sort of question?

<smiley winky thingy 😉>

The second word is off.

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

If I was picking the team…
Hudson

Hobson - Raglan - Hogan

Sachdev - Conlon - Sheron - Lundstram - Kitching

Dallas - Norwood 

Norman

Gardner

Hammond

Garner

Fondop 

So 11 at the back then?

it would be great if we could go out play free flowing football and give Chesterfield the run around, that's not going to happen though! (Even though Dorking managed to do it!)

I expect to see much of the same style that we have been using at home, for better or worse- in this case big Mike has to start surely?  To be honest a couple of weeks ago I had a good feeling about this game, not so much now.

In saying that I can see a smash and grab type scenario, being dominated for 90 minutes, being under a lot of pressure and hopefully nicking a goal from somewhere.  The players should be motivated at the very least for this one.

Praying for a positive result, being an early kick off, there is a lot of the day left to be pissed off!

27 minutes ago, deckyd said:

it would be great if we could go out play free flowing football and give Chesterfield the run around, that's not going to happen though! (Even though Dorking managed to do it!)

I expect to see much of the same style that we have been using at home, for better or worse- in this case big Mike has to start surely?  To be honest a couple of weeks ago I had a good feeling about this game, not so much now.

In saying that I can see a smash and grab type scenario, being dominated for 90 minutes, being under a lot of pressure and hopefully nicking a goal from somewhere.  The players should be motivated at the very least for this one.

Praying for a positive result, being an early kick off, there is a lot of the day left to be pissed off!

Share the same feelings as this. Really thought it would be typical Latics to go and dick the champions but not so sure now

1 hour ago, deckyd said:

Last time I saw free flowing (ish) football was under Thompson and Redfern. I think it’ll defo be a smash and grab job if we get anything from this . 

Just 2 points in our previous 3 home fixtures and then downing tools at Aldershot has taken us from a position where a home play off game was a real possibility to now playing catch up for 7th place.

it is probably systematic of this group of players that at the point when performances needed to step up (both because we are into the final part of the season and because we had a tricky run of games) they chose to ease up.

it has felt all season that the squad cannot really be trusted and for all the league table progression since Unsy got chopped there has always been a ‘could do better’ tag to a group of players that has the second best pedigree in the division.

it’s not just a groups of faded has been either, many of these were regular L1 and L2 players over that last couple of seasons, and individually most of them should still be playing at that level.

Collectively though they have no way reached the levels they should have done. The only mitigation is a lack of balance in the squad (ie pace and wide players) and a manager who increasingly refuses to release the shackles. This though is not enough to excuse the players. With the qualities we have we should have found a way to perform better, especially at home where we are a good 10 points light.

I don’t think there is that much love between the players and the fans either, and this is also a big issue. We tend not to trust them to pull out the stops when it is needed most and they probably sense that the fans are not really with them (btw the fans remain incredibly supportive of the club, I just don’t think we particularly like this group of players).

so what should have been a free hit tomorrow now becomes a must win. In all probability though Chesterfield will have an armchair ride and stroll to a 2-0 win. The moons really will need to align for us to get 3 points tomorrow, and I just can’t see it happening.

Then what?

Well then we are playing catch up and would need at least 4 wins, possibly 5 from the last seven to make it. Being honest, I don’t think this group of players has the will to muscle 5 wins from 7, and even if we got lucky and scraped in with 12 points from the last 7 games  do you really see this lot going to Gateshead then Bromley and winning them both?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Just listened to Mellon’s pre-match… a tub-thumping, inspirational rallying cry it ain’t 😳

Yeah…he certainly ain’t too inspiring is he? I should imagine it’s difficult when the team is struggling but he seems to be struggling too.

He’s basically coming out with the same spiel both before and after every game.

I hope he’s a different animal in the dressing room for sure!

Yeah MM's pre-match is not very inspiring sadly. Hopefully the team picked for tomorrow will go all out to win and show some pride in playing for Oldham which is not what we have seen a lot of recently. If we had a better return on home games we would be a lot more secure in the play off positions. Unfortunately that is not the case. 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Just listened to Mellon’s pre-match… a tub-thumping, inspirational rallying cry it ain’t 😳

Yep, nearly nodded off whilst listening to that.. If that mirrors his team talks, no wonder they look like they have no fire in their belly's, and zero fighting spirit.

In contrast to some of the miserygutses on here 😉 I'm actually really looking forward to this one. Think it has the potential to be a really exciting game.

I don't think we'll see much different in the line up, but for what it's worth this is what I'd go with. It's pinched from how Stockport lined up and where they played Madden...

Hudson

3 - Hobson, Raglan, Hogan

4 - Gardner, Sheron, Conlon, Kitching

1 - Norwood

2 - Garner, Dallas

Norwood naturally drops deep anyway, so him coming late into the box during attacks could cause a bit of trouble. This could create more of a link between midfield and attack. Madden played this role for Stockport so age shouldn't be a problem.

Wasn't 100% on Gardner but he's played that narrow right side role before and done reasonably well if I remember right.

But, like I say, I don't think he'll move from the 352 with Sachdev coming back into the side.