MATCH: Chesterfield (H) 16/03/24

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

we’ve made very little, if any progress on the pitch so far and that must give them some cause for concern.

We have had a dip in form after a crammed few weeks of fixtures, at a crucial time unfortunately. The only metric in which we haven't made progress is style of play. Points on the board we certainly have and thats exactly what the board will be looking at.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LaticsEddie said:

We have had a dip in form after a crammed few weeks of fixtures, at a crucial time unfortunately. The only metric in which we haven't made progress is style of play. Points on the board we certainly have and thats exactly what the board will be looking at.

I wouldn’t call it a dip, more like a collapse 😆

Whilst points on the board are the crucial factor I think the style of play will have a huge bearing on next season’s ST take up and I think it’s possible there could be a drop in excess of 10%

We either get competent players in who are comfortable playing 532 or hopefully, abandon it altogether and play a more attacking formation.

If they swan around sulking like they did at Aldershot then we'll get hammered, hopefully they'll show a bit of pride and bollocks.

If we start Norwood and Dallas upfront and they continue to hoof it up to them then serious questions should be asked of Mellon.

Think we will lose 3-0.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If they swan around sulking like they did at Aldershot then we'll get hammered, hopefully they'll show a bit of pride and bollocks.

If we start Norwood and Dallas upfront and they continue to hoof it up to them then serious questions should be asked of Mellon.

Think we will lose 3-0.

Anyone beginning to question whether Mellon is the right man for the job or is there another thread for this sort of question?

<smiley winky thingy 😉>

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Anyone beginning to question whether Mellon is the right man for the job or is there another thread for this sort of question?

<smiley winky thingy 😉>

The question should be asked in every thread for me, it's overdue that Mellon should be sacked.

Personally I'd have sacked him after the 3-0 defeat to Fylde.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

<smiley winky thingy 😉>

I think the hoofball will continue, if it does I'd prefer Fondop and Garner up there feeding off the scraps.

1 hour ago, LaticsEddie said:

It’s doubly disappointing that our collapse has happened at this time, as our squad depth was supposed to be our strength and guard against such problems when playing Saturday / Tuesdays. We’ve got more players to call upon than any other team in the chasing pack.

57 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

It’s doubly disappointing that our collapse has happened at this time, as our squad depth was supposed to be our strength and guard against such problems when playing Saturday / Tuesdays. We’ve got more players to call upon than any other team in the chasing pack.

Our squad is extremely thin in some very key areas. You can stockpile on strikers but if you don’t create chances for them, you are relying on moments of brilliance or luck.

The centre backs and keeper can only do so much when the opposition are running at them from the middle / wide all game. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, True Tic said:

How many tickets have we sold? Got mine earlier and the lad said it’s not been that busy 

I looked earlier at the online view and there are a hell of a lot left. Loads left in every stand.

22 minutes ago, True Tic said:

How many tickets have we sold? Got mine earlier and the lad said it’s not been that busy 

Speaking of which given the issues under the previous regime around people unable to enter when the game is all ticket. Do people think the message about no potd sales has got sufficiently round vulnerable groups?

40 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Every time they make games all ticket, it knocks thousands of the gate..

9 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

We've reached well every time we've put in a performance like Aldershot. I expect us to be much better on Saturday...

How many times are you going to say that?

6 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I wouldn’t call it a dip, more like a collapse 😆

Whilst points on the board are the crucial factor I think the style of play will have a huge bearing on next season’s ST take up and I think it’s possible there could be a drop in excess of 10%

We either get competent players in who are comfortable playing 532 or hopefully, abandon it altogether and play a more attacking formation.

Im as optimistic as they come I admit but I think we have far from collapsed 😂!  2 horror shows in the last five but also held 2 of the better teams in the league. Dont get me wrong im not shouting from the rooftops for a draw against Bromley, I expected better, but it's a dip for me

Im going to have to disagree about the ST sales too, we heard that last season. Last year we finished with Rhinoball comfortably outside the playoffs and no inclination the style was to change and still saw increased ST sales, this season we make the playoffs or worst case finish in touching distance with a proven manager at the helm and thats progress. I've really no doubt we will see better football after a full pre season

• Like 1

Watched chesterfield about 5 times this season on TV but not really been impressed. They pass it around well and are clinical when they get a chance.  But they look dodgy at the back. Dorking put 4 past them. 

bonus for us they don’t really press from the front. 

if David unsworth’s Oldham athletic can go to chesterfield and get a result Micky Mellon can get one at home. 

the attitude of these players need to change stop sulking around the pitch get it down and play some football. 

Edited by BradKnowles1

3 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

Massive game on Saturday. Biggest of the season. 

2 hours ago, OAFC_ULTRA said:

Not really. Just another match

It could prove to be pivotal for the rest of the season:

The players go out and put in a huge performance that gives them self belief and the impetus to secure a playoff place and beyond…

The players go out and put in another woeful home performance that further knocks what little self belief is left and we limp on to mid table obscurity…

😳

Maybe the players will draw inspiration from the inevitable drubbing. I have no doubt that there are some in this squad who would rate their career CV on par with the majority of Chesterfield's squad.

Unfortunately, the majority of them seem to be spineless and mentally weak, displaying a lack of desire to play for the club. They're simply not up for the fight. Our supposed captain looked like he was on the beach against Aldershot. 

They don't give a fuck.

I am eagerly anticipating the end of this season and hoping for Mellon to initiate a much-needed clear-out. However, we are unfortunately burdened with players who are tied down by long-term contracts and show no interest in leaving, and tbh why should they? We were the fools to give them these deals - they should save the money they'll get. They will never get a better deal in their lives.