MATCH: Chesterfield (H) 16/03/24

If this season had gone to plan tomorrow’s game could have been the title decider in front of 11k+…..looking at the ticket sales we’ll be lucky to get 7k+

After so much early promise….it could be a frustrating end to a disappointing season!!

36 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

If this season had gone to plan tomorrow’s game could have been the title decider in front of 11k+…..looking at the ticket sales we’ll be lucky to get 7k+

After so much early promise….it could be a frustrating end to a disappointing season!!

Never expected a title challenge. I hoped for better than we have seen

6 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

Never expected a title challenge. I hoped for better than we have seen

Best paid squad and highest paid manager tells me this seasons been a huge disappointment, if/when we lose tomorrow we would be 36 points behind Chesterfield yet some are still describing it as progress, add to that we are treated to a bore fest at BP every other week and this seasons is in danger of turning in to a bit of a damp squib. Blame who you want - there's little to get excited about at the minute given the team we send out and the tactics we employ. 

• Like 1

As for the game regardless of what team we put out predictably I fear the worst.

Watching Ollie Banks and Mike Jones take the piss out of Mcghahey, Sheron and Lundstrum for 90 minutes isn't my idea of fun.

Result wise I'll be surprised if we score if it's Norwood and Dallas upfront and we'll probably concede two or three.

I expect Dobra and Mandeville to have their usual decent games against us and Berry and Colclough to have field days against our full backs late on if they are used as subs given all the column inches they've had on here. 

Our usual sluggish laboured start wont cut it today against a team that are notoriously quick starters.

Lets be honest there should only be one winner today going off the season to date. Yet footballs a funny old game so lets see. Maybe a big part of our squad know, including some starters today they won't be here next season, nor want to be but, the desire to be footballer's that got them here should be enough to want to win.

Here's hoping that today we piss on the Champions elect parade and in doing so improve our play off chances.

COYB.

59 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Result wise I'll be surprised if we score if it's Norwood and Dallas upfront and we'll probably concede two orthree.

Why so?

Because Norwood nor Dallas have looked like scoring from open play for a couple of months, Fondop and Garner seem to have been more effective. As for conceding Chesterfield have scored as many as anyone in the last 6 games and that's despite them having a couple of iffy results.

3-0 Chesterfield would be my bet. 14/1 or even 4-0 at 28's.

It's the best yardstick for whether we're ready for promotion or not.

All conventional logic would say that we're not ready, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of our players see it as a big enough game to put in a big performance for.  Not the ideal attitude over the whole season by any means but it's what I'm hoping pushes us to compete today.

Parts of this thread read like a four Yorkshiremen sketch of negativity. 

3-0 defeat? Luxury! I used to dream of getting beat 3-0 at home by chesterfield. We’ll be 6-0 down 5 minutes before the game kicks off. The league will relegate us 2 divisions at half time for playing 15 centre backs and on the way out we’ll be made to lick the boots clean of every chesterfield supporter there. And we’d be grateful for it. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Because Norwood nor Dallas have looked like scoring from open play for a couple of months, Fondop and Garner seem to have been more effective. As for conceding Chesterfield have scored as many as anyone in the last 6 games and that's despite them having a couple of iffy results.

3-0 Chesterfield would be my bet. 14/1 or even 4-0 at 28's.

To be fair to Norwood and Dallas, they would both struggle scoring from open play if they are not on the pitch. 

Both started 1 game each since the end of Jan / mid Feb ? I will let them off 😂

Both proved they will score goals at this level, they are not the issue. Sooner people realise this, the better. 

Edited by LightDN123

We have to start quickly, pin them back and get that circular item on the pissing floor. The press has to be spot on, do not sit back like we did for the reverse fixture. We can’t do that, our fans will be right on the players backs. 

Don’t give them time to settle into their passing game, in their faces, tough in the challenge and try and play some football when we have it. 

Mellon’s rallying call in the OT seems born out of hope rather than design!

We are 38 games in so it’s highly unlikely we’re suddenly turning in to Barcelona!!

Do we think he will be playing his favoured 532? 
I bloody well hope not but it wouldn’t surprise me!

I just hope we can dispense with the continuous hoof ball, put a shift in, and just play a bit of football for a change.

To nick a playoff place we probably need 4 wins from 8 and make sure we don’t lose to Halifax & Altrincham.

Lose today and it might have to be  4 from 7.

If the players are struggling with motivation, there's something seriously wrong.

They can still - unbelievably - be history makers this season.  Get the club their first promotion since 1991.  It'll probably be the only (or last) time in their careers they can achieve something..

They just have to give their all for the next 8 (hopefully 11) games and then they can be pleased with themselves, enjoy their summer and get contracts elsewhere on the back of the promotion, if they so desire...

25 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

We have to start quickly, pin them back and get that circular item on the pissing floor. The press has to be spot on, do not sit back like we did for the reverse fixture. We can’t do that, our fans will be right on the players backs. 

Don’t give them time to settle into their passing game, in their faces, tough in the challenge and try and play some football when we have it. 

Spherical. Sorry, couldn't resist...😂

• Like 1

Being 33 points behind the only team in the league (bar Southend) that one can say is comparable in size to us is an utter disgrace. This season has been a huge disapointment so far. 

I don’t buy into the idea that the way we have been run for so long explains why it is taking time to turn it around on the pitch. The easiest and quickest bit to sort is the on pitch stuff if you provide the funds. 

Scunthorpe seem to have sorted their shit out pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

To be fair to Norwood and Dallas, they would both struggle scoring from open play if they are not on the pitch. 

Both started 1 game each since the end of Jan / mid Feb ? I will let them off 😂

Both proved they will score goals at this level, they are not the issue. Sooner people realise this, the better. 

Our fans are so quick to write off anyone if they don't hit the ground running straight away, it's infuriating. Let's write off a proven goalscorer at this level because he hasn't done much in cameo appearances after half a season of barely playing, great stuff 

8 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Being 33 points behind the only team in the league (bar Southend) that one can say is comparable in size to us is an utter disgrace. This season has been a huge disapointment so far. 

I don’t buy into the idea that the way we have been run for so long explains why it is taking time to turn it around on the pitch. The easiest and quickest bit to sort is the on pitch stuff if you provide the funds. 

Scunthorpe seem to have sorted their shit out pretty quickly.

With having had Unsworth as manager for the first 9 league games and the players we have, how many points behind Chesterfield wouldn’t be a disgrace at this stage?

2 minutes ago, ceskylatic said:

With having had Unsworth as manager for the first 9 league games and the players we have, how many points behind Chesterfield wouldn’t be a disgrace at this stage?

Also, Scunthorpe are 15 points behind the mighty Tamworth in the division below. Bizarre comparison, they'd kill to be in our position

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ceskylatic said:

I haven’t done the maths but with our Mellon record applied from day 1 I assume the gap would be perhaps 22
-24 points. Still thoroughly depressing and not really acceptable.

do you disagree? 

7 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Also, Scunthorpe are 15 points behind the mighty Tamworth in the division below. Bizarre comparison, they'd kill to be in our position

But they have evidently turned a corner on the pitch fairly quickly follow a relegation. Why is it taking us so long to point back firmly in the right direction? It shouldn’t be this difficult.

2 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

I haven’t done the maths but with our Mellon record applied from day 1 I assume the gap would be perhaps 22
-24 points. Still thoroughly depressing and not really acceptable.

do you disagree? 

Is your assumption with Unsworth’s players or having had the summer to recruit his own players?