MATCH: Altrincham (A) 01/04/24

It's saved us the customary play-off disappointment I suppose - let's be honest, we are nowhere near League Two standard.

Give Mellon a summer to plan and recruit, ditching as many of this year's squad as we can. Too many have been feeble all season, and particularly over the past 6 or so games when they needed to push on.

In the event, far too many lacked the quality or courage required and should have scuffed their last ball in Latics colours.

Dont like to pick on individuals, but if McGahey and Hogan are at BP next season, I might not be.

Over to you Latics - I live in hope...

14 minutes ago, ghost of Leonard said:

It's just not good enough,again.

We are in serious danger of missing out on the play offs and that's not good enough either.

Bitterly disappointed this evening.

Serious danger? It’s done, not a chance. Even 4 wins won’t be enough.

5 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Serious danger? It’s done, not a chance. Even 4 wins won’t be enough.

It probably will. It just won’t happen!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Robinson- ‘the quality of Oldham’s players for this division is unbelievable. 

The players are very capable, the big question is- why aren’t they playing to their maximum . . ? 

I think it's because imbalance of the squad.

No wide players who can cross a ball, no players with pace, no right back.

24 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The players are very capable, the big question is- why aren’t they playing to their maximum . . ? 

Don’t see it.

I can accept past achievements as a sensible proxy but you can’t rely on that alone. Different division, different context. We’ve seen enough to know that in the current context (which is all that matters) they simply aren’t good enough. May be that some are good enough to be in a playoff winning team. But there is not enough of them in the ranks 

oh and next season won’t be any easier. Rochdale and Southend will be a big threat. 

Edited by AndyB2

26 minutes ago, Billy_of_Lees said:

It's saved us the customary play-off disappointment I suppose - let's be honest, we are nowhere near League Two standard.

Give Mellon a summer to plan and recruit, ditching as many of this year's squad as we can. Too many have been feeble all season, and particularly over the past 6 or so games when they needed to push on.

In the event, far too many lacked the quality or courage required and should have scuffed their last ball in Latics colours.

Dont like to pick on individuals, but if McGahey and Hogan are at BP next season, I might not be.

Over to you Latics - I live in hope...

Just those two? I wouldn’t be arsed if any/all of them left. 

To be fair, Norwood and Dallas are players… they’ve proved it. Not many of the rest have.

Grifters and chancers all over the pitch. 

Just now, Lee Sinnott said:

Still a lot of football to be played this season and we haven't lost 3 in a row all season. I still reckon we'll sneak in...

We need to do a bit more than avoid losses to get anywhere.

I'm sick to death of paying to watch squads full of passengers who can't be arsed. I can't remember the last time I actually liked an Oldham team. Maybe some of the Kewell season, but that was behind closed doors which says it all. Just season after season of wet wipes and cowards 

The players have let us down and let’s be honest some simply aren’t as good as we thought/hoped. 

However, MM has a LOT to answer for with us not even making the play offs. 3 points off when he came in, now 5 off despite even more investment. 

I thought I saw somewhat of a plan early doors but since late January it’s all been rather shit and bizarre. 

Though I’m not having that every player we sign is shit, they all tend to come with rave reviews yet look completely lost at Oldham. Recruitment wise You might be off on a couple, maybe even a few, but not everyone. Something isn’t right.

Having said that the only player I’d be arsed about leaving in summer is Hudson, says a lot.

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Still a lot of football to be played this season and we haven't lost 3 in a row all season. I still reckon we'll sneak in...

Aldershot only need to win 1 out of their last four for us to need to win 3 of ours.  Absolutely fucks chance.

7 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm not ruling out a top 4 finish, in big Mick Mellon in trust.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I'm sick to death of paying to watch squads full of passengers who can't be arsed. I can't remember the last time I actually liked an Oldham team. Maybe some of the Kewell season, but that was behind closed doors which says it all. Just season after season of wet wipes and cowards 

That team had some proper players. It’s really not hard to build a capable team. Look at the circumstances under which Kewell pulled that team together.

17 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Just those two? I wouldn’t be arsed if any/all of them left. 

To be fair, Norwood and Dallas are players… they’ve proved it. Not many of the rest have.

Grifters and chancers all over the pitch. 

I'd keep Conlon, he's been a disappointment and wasn't good today but I think he's someone who'd benefit from a pre-season. I'd keep Hobson. Wouldn't be sad to see anyone else leave at all.

24 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I'd keep Conlon, he's been a disappointment and wasn't good today but I think he's someone who'd benefit from a pre-season. I'd keep Hobson. Wouldn't be sad to see anyone else leave at all.

Hobson is the one I guess I’d miss… but he’s most likely to leave. Could play at a higher level easily. 

1 hour ago, ghost of Leonard said:

It's just not good enough,again.

We are in serious danger of missing out on the play offs and that's not good enough either.

Bitterly disappointed this evening.

That is the most optimistic view of where we are that I've come across!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Who's Robinson?

32 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Hobson is the one I guess I’d miss… but he’s most likely to leave. Could play at a higher level easily. 

He's got the perfect build for a centre-back, but his distribution is terrible even for a non-league centre back and I had no problem with him being dropped behind Raglan and Hogan if I'm honest.