MATCH: Rochdale (H) 06/04/24

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Thought Mellons interview is fair and not surprised he’s fed up. He really can’t be judged until we have a right back, wide players and a creative midfield player. 

We must be one of the most predictable teams in the league in terms of how we play. 

He’s got to be given time next season. He’s been hampered by Thompson and Unsworth spunkijg the budget on crap 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

He’s got to be given time next season. He’s been hampered by Thompson and Unsworth spunkijg the budget on crap 

Has big Rossy Coyne hacked your account? That's the kind of nonsense he's coming out with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Just listened to Mellons interview, he seems proper fed up. Panned the recruitment having to play players in wrong positions. Really needs to be asked about how recruitment has been done the last 18 months 

He seems very down. Uses the word "hope" rather a lot. If the players are as lack lustre as Mellon tomorrow, will see us losing.Don't think the players are in the Derby mode. Rochdale are playing well and we need 101% effort .

31 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

He seems very down. Uses the word "hope" rather a lot. If the players are as lack lustre as Mellon tomorrow, will see us losing.Don't think the players are in the Derby mode. Rochdale are playing well and we need 101% effort .

Like me, they probably think it's ridiculous that a game against fucking Rochdale is considered a derby for us....

😂

I feel sorry for Mellon.  He looks like he needs a holiday.  The biggest thing I took out of that interview is how badly he tried to hide the fact he's disappointed that he'd got to deal with a lot of these players next year!

• Like 1

For once the ref for tomorrow looks decent. 

Some refereeing at premiership level. Reffed us against ebbsfleet I think.Would be nice to have a decent ref unlike that wanker last week.

Edited by diggleblue
Added text.
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Can't say I'm surprised 

You have to admit it wasn’t very encouraging. 

Looking at that list of contracted players we still have, makes me think our fortunes will be following a similar pattern next season.

IMO, we need a major clear out because the only way to make real progress would be to pay off all the unwanted players and start afresh.

That’s not happening obviously but having so many players on the books who won’t be getting game time will be a nightmare for Mellon, and that’s if he’s still here!

It’s a depressing thought but I’m resigned to the fact that we could well be down in this division for another couple of years at least!!

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

You have to admit it wasn’t very encouraging. 

Looking at that list of contracted players we still have, makes me think our fortunes will be following a similar pattern next season.

IMO, we need a major clear out because the only way to make real progress would be to pay off all the unwanted players and start afresh.

That’s not happening obviously but having so many players on the books who won’t be getting game time will be a nightmare for Mellon, and that’s if he’s still here!

It’s a depressing thought but I’m resigned to the fact that we could well be down in this division for another couple of years at least!!

The success or otherwise of this desired major clear out depends on almost faultless recruitment next time round. Not guaranteed...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The success or otherwise of this desired major clear out depends on almost faultless recruitment next time round. Not guaranteed...

Absolutely!! I’m also really not sure I would want Mellon to be the man orchestrating it either. He doesn’t look happy at all as he has probably now realised  the size of his task!

The next close season is absolutely crucial and may well define our fortunes for the foreseeable.
As you say our recruitment needs to be damn near spot on!!

A younger more forward thinking coach would be my preference but I have no idea who that might be!

19 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Absolutely!! I’m also really not sure I would want Mellon to be the man orchestrating it either. He doesn’t look happy at all as he has probably now realised  the size of his task!

The next close season is absolutely crucial and may well define our fortunes for the foreseeable.
As you say our recruitment needs to be damn near spot on!!

A younger more forward thinking coach would be my preference but I have no idea who that might be!

A younger coach would still have to sort out the squad problems and recruitment. At least MM has the experience and knowhow 

25 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

A younger coach would still have to sort out the squad problems and recruitment. At least MM has the experience and knowhow 

Yes he has but I don’t think he’s here for the long haul. I think the reason we went for Mellon was to try and get us up or in to the playoffs at least this season ….its not happening unfortunately and it’s looking like another complete rebuild.

IMO He’s not improved any of our players or the way that we play at all and I’m just not convinced that he is the man we should be relying on.

Edited by oafc1955

11 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Yes he has but I don’t think he’s here for the long haul. I think the reason we went for Mellon was to try and get us up or in to the playoffs at least this season ….its not happening unfortunately and it’s looking like another complete rebuild.

IMO He’s not improved any of our players or the way that we play at all and I’m just not convinced that he is the man we should be relying on.

It would seem crass on the boards part if Mellon was only here to get us into the play off's this time around given the 3 year contract. Can't see that myself. Sure they hoped for play off's, who wouldn't?.

17 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Thought Mellons interview is fair and not surprised he’s fed up. He really can’t be judged until we have a right back, wide players and a creative midfield player. 

We must be one of the most predictable teams in the league in terms of how we play. 

Tough one to gauge.  We know the squad is an unbalanced mess and some of them are lacking in quality.  

His recruitment in my opinion hasnt been great by any means, players in his own words, to drive the team forward and help the players he already inherited.

He signed two forwards, we had 5- granted Nutall was not working and Kurt looked lost.  Reid was then outcast. 

Dallas is getting better, Garner spends his time mostly on the floor, wearing thin and partnering Norwood just doesn't work.

Someone to put their foot on the ball was Conlon , he does that alright then passes 5 yards sidewards and backwards, he's been very poor. Hammond hasn't set the world on fire either (at least he has energy and tries). Walker has played about 1 game or something with the time he's be given? Sacdev has looked decent but again not a right back according to Mellon who says as much, took a gamble.

He said earlier in season he wasn't going to sign just any player but players he believed that would be the right fit so to speak, to help the team, that obviously hasn't worked.  Players letting him down, bad judgement or style of play not suiting, take your pick!

We had wide players and a right back, Tollitt, Dickenson, Freemen.  I thought Dickenson was decent but looked terribly unfit.  They all were possibly deemed not good enough by Mellon, replacements same if not worse?

Still think he has done an okay job, just very disappointing for it to fall apart like it has somewhat, and falling apart is a chance to make play offs which is a drastic change from our norm.

He will get time, only hope he gets it right.

Today's game- repeat of the match at Rochdale will suffice!