Transfer Rumours 24/25

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It's completely different. Roughyeds in their division is the equivalent of sticking Burnley in the National League. They're streets ahead of them all and they've recruited players ready to step up next season. Promotion is as good as in the bag already for them...

I am referring to the pace and enthusiasm of the rugby players. Even against part time teams in this league Latics have looked listless and uninterested. If you are happy with that you are easily pleased. I don't accept turgid football from well paid football players and management nor should anyone else.

It's to be hoped MM changes all that next season.

If he does I will praise him for it.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I am referring to the pace and enthusiasm of the rugby players. Even against part time teams in this league Latics have looked listless and uninterested. If you are happy with that you are easily pleased. I don't accept turgid football from well paid football players and management nor should anyone else.

It's to be hoped MM changes all that next season.

If he does I will praise him for it.

It’s completely different. Even at 50% you could most of that division away. I could get a couple of my old mates who I played with and beat Newcastle. 

when the rugby played swinton and York who are struggling they were blown away. 

49 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

It’s completely different. Even at 50% you could most of that division away. I could get a couple of my old mates who I played with and beat Newcastle. 

when the rugby played swinton and York who are struggling they were blown away. 

They have played four Championship teams. Won two, lost two.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

They have played four Championship teams. Won two, lost two.

Halifax who they beat operate on half the budget in the Championship, I have it on pretty good authority that they are paying out four times as much in wages than any other team in League 1 which is a staggering amount at their level.

Anyone comparing the heart and desire of Rugby League players with football players is stupid, heart and desire in RL are a given and minimum requirements, if you don't have it you'll get hurt.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Yep agree. I'm confident we will have the budget to sign 5 quality players. 

Hopefully 4 of them are midfielders.

It's been our biggest weakness all season. The inability to control games and lack of creativity. Plug that midfield with as much quality as possible, and the defence isn't under as much cosh and will stand up much better and we won't concede as many. The likes of Norwood and Garner won't have to do as much leg work and can focus on banging them in. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Correct, I know people who've bet they'll be undefeated in the league !!

Good luck to them they ( like us ) deserve some. 

They were 1/7 to win the league before the season started 

14 hours ago, PlayItLivo said:

Hopefully 4 of them are midfielders.

It's been our biggest weakness all season. The inability to control games and lack of creativity. Plug that midfield with as much quality as possible, and the defence isn't under as much cosh and will stand up much better and we won't concede as many. The likes of Norwood and Garner won't have to do as much leg work and can focus on banging them in. 

Been banging this drum since we dropped into non-league. Midfield quality wins you divisions. Fucking hell, Chesterfield had Grimes at the back and still pissed the league. 😂

17 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Halifax who they beat operate on half the budget in the Championship, I have it on pretty good authority that they are paying out four times as much in wages than any other team in League 1 which is a staggering amount at their level.

Anyone comparing the heart and desire of Rugby League players with football players is stupid, heart and desire in RL are a given and minimum requirements, if you don't have it

you'll get hurt.

It's not stupid, in any sport it's a state of mind and as a team we didn't have it. 

Give me players with talent and  desire at any level  and I'll give you a winners.

11 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

It's not stupid, in any sport it's a state of mind and as a team we didn't have it. 

Give me players with talent and  desire at any level  and I'll give you a winners.

My point is Rugby League players already have that quality particularly if they are playing at any sort of level, desire for them is a necessity, if they didn't have it they'd be found out whereas footballers can hide.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

My point is Rugby League players already have that quality particularly if they are playing at any sort of level, desire for them is a necessity, if they didn't have it they'd be found out whereas footballers can hide.

Yet I'd wager footballers get more and worse injuries.

Edited by Lags

3 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Been banging this drum since we dropped into non-league. Midfield quality wins you divisions. Fucking hell, Chesterfield had Grimes at the back and still pissed the league. 😂

Conlon is supposed to be that. Problem is he plays alongside sheron and McGahey most of the time. Maybe Hammond will step up but he has got a long way to go. Hopefully see a different lundstrum next season. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

Conlon is supposed to be that. Problem is he plays alongside sheron and McGahey most of the time. Maybe Hammond will step up but he has got a long way to go. Hopefully see a different lundstrum next season. 

John at rangers 

21 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

Once we see a fulcrum in midfield brought in which firmly replaces a fairly robust, but in no way dynamic  McGahey, solidifying it and able to close down play quickly I expect to see a light-and-day difference. Add in some pace on either flank and you’re providing an environment for others to thrive in.

I believe Lundstram can be a real asset but I’m still unsure about Conlon and his appetite / hunger for success. Providing him much better movement and options when he’s on the ball will give him no further excuses to go into a shell.

• Like 1

Lundstrum came build as a box to box midfielder. He maybe, but a painfully slow one. Sprinting back to make a break up tackle he is not. So for me he's a luxury player who others need to do the defensive work for him. 

1 hour ago, Lags said:

Lundstrum came build as a box to box midfielder. He maybe, but a painfully slow one. Sprinting back to make a break up tackle he is not. So for me he's a luxury player who others need to do the defensive work for him. 

Lundy will be a good player, given time. 

He’s at his best when he receives the ball on the half turn and runs at the defenders. He is a solid number 8. 

I think where Conlon fits in is the issue. Can he still play the 10 role ? I have seen nothing to suggest he can. 

He is also not good enough for the holding role from what I have seen, and the fact McGahey was favoured in that position. So it’s him and Lundy battling for the 8.

We need a proper number 10 and a proper holding midfield player to transform this team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lags said:

I think we saw flashes of what he's capable of. Decent with his feet and tenacious. You mention he was unable to break up a tackle but the part he played in our goal at home to Rochdale where he combined with (Garner I think) to mug the Dale player, punch through and slip it to Hope was exactly what he's decent at. Similarly, at home to Chesterfield in the build up to our penalty, his reciept of the ball and turn to feed through Dallas was what we want to see much more of.

Agreed Lundstrum strength is taking the ball to feet and turning a tight maker and getting on the front foot. However you need me more than one string to your bow to be a good midfielder. 

His tracking back upon breakdown of play leaves lots to be desired.

1 hour ago, Lags said:

Agreed Lundstrum strength is taking the ball to feet and turning a tight maker and getting on the front foot. However you need me more than one string to your bow to be a good midfielder. 

His tracking back upon breakdown of play leaves lots to be desired.

We never seem to advance up the pitch when he receives the ball it invariably ends up back to where it came from or even further back.

That may have been, in part, due to the lack of movement from a generally non existent midfield but he’s really not shown anywhere near enough.

In his defence he did look to be gaining a little confidence towards the back end of the season and there could yet be a decent player in there, however, come August, he will need to hit the ground running as there will be no room for under achievers next season!

Posted (edited)

I've contacted the club that 24yo Colwyn Bay right back Alex Downes has ended his contract.

Hes 6ft, tough, powerful with pace and determination who can defend and bomb forward, sending over devastating crosses and score goals. Can't ask for much more at our level and he would be on a modest wage.

The NL nor the EFL would hold any fears for him. So hope we can make an approach.

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/24286869.alex-downes-named-colwyn-bay-fc-supporters-player-year/

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I've contacted the club that 24yo Colwyn Bay right back Alex Downes has ended his contract.

Hes 6ft, tough, powerful with pace and determination who can defend and bomb forward, sending over devastating crosses and score goals. Can't ask for much more at our level and he would be on a modest wage.

The NL nor the EFL would hold any fears for him. So hope we can make an approach.

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/24286869.alex-downes-named-colwyn-bay-fc-supporters-player-year/

As I’ve said before, this guy comes highly recommended by a mate of mine who watches nothing but Welsh Prem.