Maybe Bove and Turner aren't training as hard as LJ thinks they should, and he doesn't want to reward them with a game. When Bove played last LJ said that neither Bove or Turner had played very well in a reerve game. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly il say I voted wilkinson man of match,solely down to the last 20 mins, where no matter how well we've played he looked our only goal threat. Maybe this lad is so much better technically than Bove and Turner and it's just a bit of nerves. If he can carry that last 20 into his next game it would be perfect. He seems the type of confidence player that if he gets one could go on a good run. So fwiw I would start him next up.

For now it seems to have gone quiet on the new striker coming in. Any info on this ? Take it Ebanks not been talked round by big George ? And porter has had a call north of the border ?

I'm never a fan of dropping "ours" for someone else's - unless its for the very obvious reason of they are so much better than what they're replacing.

All fine with bringing in players if they improve us immediately. Where i struggle to see the logic is in matters like this one; is where we're essentially messing with our squad to develop a Bolton player; while short term, it doesnt appear to be benifitting us in doing so?

I'm in two minds on this...first of all I must say that I agree with Sly , well 90% :-)

There's no logic in bringing anyone in as a loanee unless it is to improve the team (and that obviously includes replacing injured players where the in house understudy is not of the same standard). Improvement can mean allowing a different formation or style of play - it doesn't, for me, mean that loanee X has to be "better" than own player Y.

I see and share some frustration when a young loanee is brought in when we have players who apparently can do a job . At the same time I can imagine reasons for doing so:

- as has been suggested Bove is regarded by LJ and Tommy Wright as not showing enough on a daily basis in training . None of us know the accuracy of this

- we've invested in Forte and Poleon and Wilkinson is regarded by LJ/TW as more able to complement them than Bove.

- there's enough known about Wilkinson by the club to think that, after a month's settling in , he'll show something more than he has done so far and there's agreement that he could come on a longer loan

- LJ is learning still, and wants to experiment

Wilkinson hasn't ripped up trees yet - at the same time with a little better decision making he could have laid on three goals, could have scored a couple himself, and hasnt disgraced himself through lack of effort. And I refuse to right off any player (permanent or loanee) after a few matches. This Board is littered with damnings of players who have actually turned out pretty well (this season included)

So...I agree with the principle of "using our own". But the modern game has the loan system as part and parcel of it. I We loan out our own youngsters for development and I guess we'll continue to do so.

Like I said , Sly, you're right almost completely about the principle (well I think you are). It's just that there are other factors that cloud the issue a bit for me.

IMHO, we havn't seen enough of the three players, Turner, Bove or Wilkinson at first team level yet to say if any of them are a diamond in the ruff. For me, the loan of Wilkinson is set to give extra options in terms of a striker which, given our goal drought I can only see as a good thing, however...

If Bove or Turner were good enough now, LJ wouldn't have needed Wilkinson and we wouldn't have needed to discuss it, however there must be an underlying reason that has made LJ weigh up other players to move up the pecking order ahead of players like Bove and Turner. They mustn't be what we need at this moment in time. Should we then be looking at loaning both of these two out to give them a decent run of games? I'm not totally sure if this is the definitive way of doing things.

I agree in some respect what LJ has done in bringing Wilkinson in, because, in theory he has probably had a better standard of training, and has mingled with players of a higher calibre in terms of day in day out training and has probably come up against better opponents, but all in all I feel our own youngsters need a crack at the wip first, with something to prove rather than have a loanee youngster starting who is as untried and untested as what we have on the bench already.

We seem scared to give our younger lads a go. Do you all think it's because of being scared to be wrong about a player or do you think LJ feels we can't afford to give them a chance because we might drop points?

LJ showed with JCH that he was willing to give a young player a go and even rely on him when he clearly wasn't the finished article. If the young lads aren't there yet then they should go and get games somewhere, I presume that doesn't stop them coming to coaching sessions in the week?

Matt Done (a full back) is currently up front for dale... Scored 5, all from open play

I don't think it's a bad idea He's a big strong lad and would certainly stir thing up. He'd be a target to aim for.

I think the Robin van Wilkinson v. home grown talen debate is a bit of a red herring. if we want to challenge for promotion we need an experienced goalscorer, someone with a bit of savy to provide leadership and to lead the line.

I think bringing someone in with the experience is needed if to give the young'uns something to look up to, ie someone who has been there and done it. I definitely think it needs to be a CF though and not someone who is a full back-come-forward, otherwise I feel that it leads us to being a hoofball team as opposed to a footballing side.

If Philliskirk was finishing like he did when he came into the first-team last season, we'd be there.

A tall striker does give us an option, but our best play recently has come through the middle, threading balls through on the break or passing and pressing forward as a unit. We've been playing without wingers and been far more solid and harder to beat as a result.

You don't need a target man to hold the ball up if you thread good enough balls down the channels - and if the opposition keep their full-backs back, we press and win the midfield battle.

In my view an aerial cross is bread and butter for lower-league defenders, even if the striker is tall, but a through-ball and a standing start v Forte or Poleon....

Phiskirk also gives the flexibility of a harder to man-mark forward, and the number 10 role linking the midfield and Forte/Poleon. I accept that's more suitable to when we're playing the break, but if he gets that break I think it'd make a huge difference. Not long ago someone on here said Danny P is our most natural finisher. He can swivel on the last man and be a poacher - remember his goals against Shrewsbury and Preston last season, and how he transformed the game in the number ten role against Mansfield... I hope he's been shoved up top in training and practising his finishing over and over! He might need a goal big time, but he's the one that found the space for chances, and he brings a lot of passing and work ethic qualities to the team.

Having said that, that Greek god looked pretty good on that YouTube clip. Better than Bebe?

If Philliskirk was finishing like he did when he came into the first-team last season, we'd be there.

A tall striker does give us an option, but our best play recently has come through the middle, threading balls through on the break or passing and pressing forward as a unit. We've been playing without wingers and been far more solid and harder to beat as a result.

You don't need a target man to hold the ball up if you thread good enough balls down the channels - and if the opposition keep their full-backs back, we press and win the midfield battle.

In my view an aerial cross is bread and butter for lower-league defenders, even if the striker is tall, but a through-ball and a standing start v Forte or Poleon....

Phiskirk also gives the flexibility of a harder to man-mark forward, and the number 10 role linking the midfield and Forte/Poleon. I accept that's more suitable to when we're playing the break, but if he gets that break I think it'd make a huge difference. Not long ago someone on here said Danny P is our most natural finisher. He can swivel on the last man and be a poacher - remember his goals against Shrewsbury and Preston last season, and how he transformed the game in the number ten role against Mansfield... I hope he's been shoved up top in training and practising his finishing over and over! He might need a goal big time, but he's the one that found the space for chances, and he brings a lot of passing and work ethic qualities to the team.

Having said that, that Greek god looked pretty good on that YouTube clip. Better than Bebe?

More goals from the Greek god, looks quick and skillful too. I see he's just been called up to the England non league squad.

He's also apparently Cristiano Ronaldo's body double.

Edited by BP1960

Greacey like Ronaldo then? ;-)

Seems Ebanks-Blake's agent is having some fun using us as a 'so sign me now' bate for other clubs!

Noticed Holloway saying "all we need is a finisher" after Saturday's game too....

Makes you wonder what's up with Gregory, they spent a lot on him too, didn't they? Edited by Ryan