Matt Smith to leave

I thank him for his 6 games and 6 goals; 3 cup, 3 league. I hope for his sake taking more money now but playing less doesn't mean he ends up in League 2 in 2 years time.... when he could've continued to enhance himself with us by playing & scoring regularly with... (I quote) 'an improved offer'.

His 'agent', an agent I've no doubt was nowhere to be seen when he was plying his trade with Solihull & Droylsden will tell him loyalty is an irrelevance, maybe it is, I just happen to disagree in this instance!

I thank him for his 6 games and 6 goals; 3 cup, 3 league. I hope for his sake taking more money now but playing less doesn't mean he ends up in League 2 in 2 years time.... when he could've continued to enhance himself with us by playing & scoring regularly with... (I quote) 'an improved offer'.

His 'agent', an agent I've no doubt was nowhere to be seen when he was plying his trade with Solihull & Droylsden will tell him loyalty is an irrelevance, maybe it is, I just happen to disagree in this instance!

Sounds to me like you do hope he end up in League Two in a couple of years' time.

In any case, his contract has expired - why does he owe the club any more loyalty than the club showed Paul Warne when we binned him off a few years back?

Sounds to me like you do hope he end up in League Two in a couple of years' time.

In any case, his contract has expired - why does he owe the club any more loyalty than the club showed Paul Warne when we binned him off a few years back?

Cos loyalty is a one way street.

What is the difference between the club having a player on the books for a set period of time and then at thatpoint saying "sorry, contract is up - bye" and a player doing the same?

Both occaisions the player / club have stuck to their contract. If the club or player wants a longer one, they should have signed a longer one.

Edited by pukka

I still think League one was his level.

However goals against PL opposition may prove me wrong.

I thought non-league was his level but he proved me wrong.

Like you, I think the Championship will be too big a step up for him, as I don't think he's a good enough footballer technically to succeed at that level. But it'll be interesting to see if he can prove me wrong again.

Sorry to see him go and I'm grateful for the highs he provided last season. I can't wish him well at Blackburn though, as that would be of benefit to them, when I would joyfully see them relegated. I think that for anyone, going to Blackburn is a risky decision while the clueless chicken stranglers are in charge.

I think it's in his best interests to move on after making a name for himself in the FA Cup. If he stays and does nothing spectacular then he's stuck in the lower divisions. Moving now he gets a shot at the Championship on far better money. If it doesn't work out he'll drop back down the leagues, but have a nice financial cushion behind him. I'm sure though, that he believes that he can make it at a higher level, especially as the service to him will be better. Hope he does.

It's bitterly disappointing that we don't get a fee, but typical of the club's management under Dickov and Corney. Matt rotted in the reserves last season, un-coached and neglected, before he was shipped out to doomed Macclesfield towards the end. Underpaid, under-developed and underpaid, he rightly awaited for his contract to run its course. This hopefully marks the end of a period of extraordinary waste and incompetence, both on the field and off it (pulling down the stand after the biggest depression in 100 years, spending millions (or adding to the club's debt) on a mad-cap plan to build on charitable land etc.). I'm sure that LJ has the intelligence, moral fibre, common sense and vision to put an end to the madness.

It's bitterly disappointing that we don't get a fee, but typical of the club's management under Dickov and Corney. Matt rotted in the reserves last season, un-coached and neglected, before he was shipped out to doomed Macclesfield towards the end. Underpaid, under-developed and underpaid, he rightly awaited for his contract to run its course. This hopefully marks the end of a period of extraordinary waste and incompetence, both on the field and off it (pulling down the stand after the biggest depression in 100 years, spending millions (or adding to the club's debt) on a mad-cap plan to build on charitable land etc.). I'm sure that LJ has the intelligence, moral fibre, common sense and vision to put an end to the madness.

There is so much wrong with this that I can merely tilt at some of the assertions.

Pulling down a stand "after the biggest depression in 100 years". - Wasn't the Lookers pulled down before the recession (let alone "depression") and when the housing market was still quite buoyant?

Smith "underpaid , under developed, and underpaid" Underpaid twice apparently. How about he was a non-league player who was given a chance to prove himself, got a wage commensurate with his experience, hardly pulled up trees at Macc, and , over the last months of his time here had developed into a player that seems to have further potential?

Just a shame we are not going to get any money for him.

All the best Matt, you made some heavily battle scarred Latics fans smile an awful lot last season.

Thought we would get a little something as he is under 24 ??

There is so much wrong with this that I can merely tilt at some of the assertions.

Pulling down a stand "after the biggest depression in 100 years". - Wasn't the Lookers pulled down before the recession (let alone "depression") and when the housing market was still quite buoyant?

Smith "underpaid , under developed, and underpaid" Underpaid twice apparently. How about he was a non-league player who was given a chance to prove himself, got a wage commensurate with his experience, hardly pulled up trees at Macc, and , over the last months of his time here had developed into a player that seems to have further potential?

Couldn't agree more LaticsPete. No, loyalty is irrelevant. We only gave him a chance no-one else appeared willing to do. Forget that tho, that means nothing cos he turned up for 6 games. I don't wish him any ill, although like others I cannot wish him well if its a b@stard Rovers shirt he pulls on, I just feel this seemingly imminent decision is a microcosm of the greedy world in which we live today!