Matt Smith to leave

people are saying 6 games (which I'm assuming are both Everton cup games and the Liverpool game, plus the 3 end of season league games he scored in) but I'd give him a couple more. Second half at Forrest I thought he played pretty damn well and caused all sorts of problems, especially after his first half own goal which would have made some players go into their shell.

His equalizer at Sheff Utd was a cracking memory as well, so late on! So I'd give him 6 and a half games plus a goal :) all the best Smithy!

No huge loss. Contributed with some important goals but very much a wheelie bin for the majority of his Latics career. More than replaceable.

He was badly managed by Dickov....we couldn't score in a brothel and yet he still got only 10 mins here and there. He was under so much pressure to produce.... everytime he came on we were behind and chasing the game, the only time he showed some promise was when he started games.

He's not a world beater by any means but if he'd got more opportunities to start games we might have realised earlier that we had a decent player on our hands.

Good luck Matty, although I think you have chosen the wrong club in the wrong division and will probably be on the bench or out of the side much more than at Oldham.

Can those bemoaning him going on a free point me towards the, "Sign Him Up,' threads last summer please...

You are right, not many (including myself) foresaw what was to come.

Easy remedied though, all Latics have to do is sign another giant striker from non league. :wink:

Is 6' 9" big enough ?

http://www.warefc.co.uk/news/leon-simpson-signs-for-ware-850737.html

Im going to have a tenner on him to be Championship top scorer next year

Save your money.

It's a nice sentiment and I really hope the lad does well, however if he signs for the likes of Blackburn he will get 5-10 games and has absolutely no chance of dislodging Jordan Rhodes.

He proved me wrong and I will always have fond memories of the Scouse matches.

Hope he does it, can't see it.

i bet the sponsors deal with Warrior involved him moving up a league at the end of the season. if I was in his position, I'd also make as much money as I could in the next few years.

fair play to Latics for offering him an improved and reasonable contract too! (by the sounds of it)

Can those bemoaning him going on a free point me towards the, "Sign Him Up,' threads last summer please...

Exactly. If he hadn't scored the crucial goals he did over the last few months he may have been released; that would have been him leaving for free. As it turns out he did score some crucial goals which actually resulted in the club earning a significant amount of money- the money gained for his FA cup goals alone would be much more than the amount we would have expected to sell him for anyway. Not to mention the money the club gets for staying in League One that his goals contributed to.

All the best Matt, thanks for the memories!

i would imagine he is one of a kind in the fact he has probably paid for himself (and more on top) with the goals he has scored. Hope he stay's as i liked him from the beginning (although my patience was tested over Xmas but he wasn't managed or played right until LJ came in really and he started scoring more regular. Goals per minutes on the pitch suggest he could score over 20 goals at this level but he is now hot property and will make the most of it while it lasts i imagine.

No huge loss. Contributed with some important goals but very much a wheelie bin for the majority of his Latics career. More than replaceable.

EXCUSE ME!

Without him this season would have meant little FA cup money, lower attendances. no excitement, zero media interest and relegation.

We could never afford a replacement!

Edited by laticsrblue

He'll do well at Rovers with Taylor and Rhodes for company, You can say what you want about the way Blackburn's been ran since the Venkys got their chicken claws into the club but you only have to look at the ground and it's pretty clear that their Premier in all but status.

Good luck Matt and thanks for Keeping Latics in League one

He'll do well at Rovers with Taylor and Rhodes for company, You can say what you want about the way Blackburn's been ran since the Venkys got their chicken claws into the club but you only have to look at the ground and it's pretty clear that their Premier in all but status.

Good luck Matt and thanks for Keeping Latics in League one

Was it 7 million they coughed up for Rhodes?

Turning this on it's head - what would your reaction be if he actually stayed?

And him staying meant we had pushed the boat out wage wise?

But it is obvious that the club will not overstretch its finances to keep hold of Smith, the offer is there, the door is over there, take your pick. Adios Matt and good luck you deserve a go at a higher level.