Clarke signs 2.5 year deal

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Great news. How old is he by the way ? I'm not complaining, but to get a 2.5 year deal at his age must be quite rare (for us anyway). Delighted with this 

He turned 35 years old on January 3rd. Obviously looks after himself and is good for a few more years yet.

5 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

He's 35. Will be 36 in January.

Most minutes played out of anybody in the whole division. He must be the exception to the rule. I think he's worthy of the age risk in a long-term deal.

The spine of next season's side is shaping up well: Gerrard, Clarke, Fane, Holloway. Hope we can get Green on board too, then find a passer.

8 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Why ? Surely it's about the right time to TRY to get our best players, who are coming to the end of their deals, tied down ?

This reads more as an improved contract than an extension, someone must be meeting the cost...

10 minutes ago, Oafc88 said:

Great news.

On the very slim chance we could get Ripley again this would surely help towards that. From what I've seen he has quite a good rapport with Clarke (and now Gerrard).

Imagine that, I'm sure Connor might be keen to test himself in the Championship next season but we can only dream.

Great news.

It means we won't be scrambling around for a new centre back during preseason, this is the sort of stability we've not had in a while. When was the last time we started a season with the two centre backs from the previous season? Greegs and Rubes?

Clarke and Gerrard are solid as they've demonstrated, hopefully we can get a solid keeper behind them and get some creativity and fire power for battle at the other end of the table , as we won't be shipping many with these two at the back.

Very happy with this.

Said it before; as much as I'd want us to stay up, I'd rather keep Shez and our key players and be in League 2 than lose Shez and our key players and be in League 1.  Signing Clarke, Gerrard, Holloway and Shez indicates that we are building for the next year or two on the pitch...which is unusual.

Obviously having both would be ideal!!

16 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Fantastic news! If he's that way inclined, it would be nice if there was a route for him to move seamlessly onto the coaching staff as the contract ends. 

didn't Cliff Byrne do something similar, albeit very briefly? ... and Lockwood for that matter?

2 minutes ago, oafc-latics said:

If we do go down this season, we'll boss League Two with Gerrard and Clarke at the back. 

Clarke wouldn't be here cos we'd have sold him. In fact, I'm not ruling that out regardless of league next season.