Tranmere (A)

Finally, after four and a half years, we meet again. At one point during our stay in hell I thought we'd be more likely to play Hyde United in a league game. The 'we'll never play you again' shouts probably held water.

Of course it's a rivalry! The games from when Ronnie came in and Ian joined in, to the end of our League One stay were as competitive as anything, and had some ups and downs for both of us (the 1-0 last minute when you lot went top in front of a wild BP was a sickener, but we also ruined Big Joe's day a couple years later). We both had quite a few boring seasons in that time and the games against each other added a bit of spice to the season. Mark Allott when he spent 5 minutes with us before we replaced Ronnie with Barnes even commented about how intense the games were and said that at Oldham the games against us were the first ones you lot looked for. 

But, it's a competitive rivalry. From the first game Ronnie took charge of against you on the first day, you beat us 7 times, we beat you 6 times, 3 draws. Part of our stay in hell saw us take on Wrexham and Chester. Two very small fry teams stood next to us. But you lot were always legitimate, and often outperformed us, even if we had the edge at times. Whereas with them two we were clearly in a different league in more ways than one.

We rested McNulty and Banks tonight for Saturday, hard to know what to expect but our home form suits the way we play- we try and play on the front foot with energy and a bit of speed. On the road we've been caught out, but we've made PP a strong foundation. Not seen much of you but Callum Lang sounds like the danger man(?)

Anyway see you Saturday.

Edited by planetarydeadlock
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, planetarydeadlock said:

Finally, after four and a half years, we meet again. At one point during our stay in hell I thought we'd be more likely to play Hyde United in a league game. The 'we'll never play you again' shouts probably held water.

Of course it's a rivalry! The games from when Ronnie came in and Ian joined in, to the end of our League One stay were as competitive as anything, and had some ups and downs for both of us (the 1-0 last minute when you lot went top in front of a wild BP was a sickener, but we also ruined Big Joe's day a couple years later). We both had quite a few boring seasons in that time and the games against each other added a bit of spice to the season. Mark Allott when he spent 5 minutes with us before we replaced Ronnie with Barnes even commented about how intense the games were and said that at Oldham the games against us were the first ones you lot looked for. 

But, it's a competitive rivalry. From the first game Ronnie took charge of against you on the first day, you beat us 7 times, we beat you 6 times, 3 draws. Part of our stay in hell saw us take on Wrexham and Chester. Two very small fry teams stood next to us. But you lot were always legitimate, and often outperformed us, even if we had the edge at times. Whereas with them two we were clearly in a different league in more ways than one.

We rested McNulty and Banks tonight for Saturday, hard to know what to expect but our home form suits the way we play- we try and play on the front foot with energy and a bit of speed. On the road we've been caught out, but we've made PP a strong foundation. Not seen much of you but Callum Lang sounds like the danger man(?)

Anyway see you Saturday.

Surridge the danger but is likely to start on the bench as he is coming back from his third injury already this season.

If we can keep Norwood quiet I'm confident we can get s result. I spent large parts of last season questioning how Anthony Gerrard can be so fat for a footballer. What has happened with Steve McNulty?

8 hours ago, planetarydeadlock said:

Anyway see you Saturday.

How much worse is the conference than League Two?

Before this season, I thought the bottom half of League One & League Two were much of a muchness. I was wrong, League Two is absolutely w@nk.

8 hours ago, rvlatic said:

Tranmere Rovers FC (First Team) v Oldham Athletic FC (First Team)
Football League 2    
Referee: Stockbridge, Sebastian 
Assistant Referee: Bartlett, Richard 
Assistant Referee: Moore, Anthony 
Fourth Official: Harty, Thomas

Ref for our Checkascab trophy games against Barnsley and Bradford this season. 

Was the ref for our game at Peterborough and the snow affected game against Portsmouth, last season. 

Not as card happy as some. 

Morning Latics.

Well here we are again at last, after our non-league hiatus. I've had a read through the thread, and even the familiar bickering and insults are a pleasure to read, signalling a return to normality for us, whatever that is.

Are we rivals? Well, geographically, that's probably stretching it a bit, but over recent years, barring the last three, we have kind of shared similar histories of stagnation and slow decline, both struggling in the shadows of glamorous neighbours. Our encounters tended to be feisty and passionate, with the added spice of Ronnie Moore cranking things up even further, and certainly for me, fixtures against yourselves were always enjoyable, as in many ways, our clubs were on a par, and I think there is a begrudging respect that as fans, we have chosen to stay loyal to our roots rather than take the all too familiar big city option with our allegiances. In short, we kind of get each other, even if there is some hostility / resentment, for whatever reason.

What was the conference like compared to league 2?  Well, now we are out of there, hopefully for good, I look back with some fondness, but the reality was it was mostly a wretched but humbling experience, as we had to accept that we were playing the likes of Maidenhead, Welling or Braintree because we deserved to be at that level, as did they. Broadly, you can split the conference into 3 categories: ex-league teams fighting to regain former glories,  good honest non-league teams who have achieved 5th tier status on merit, and horrible vanity projects. Apart from the likes of Wrexham, most clubs saw us as a big fish, with their trips to Prenton Park as one of the season's highlights, so inevitably parked the bus, tried to frustrate us, took gamesmanship to a whole different level, and wanted to leave with a point in front of their 15  supporters.

When our relegation was confirmed after losing at home to Bury, whose fans were dancing on our pitch taunting us, celebrating their promotion, apart from family and personal stuff, it was probably the worst day of my life. Conversely, our promotion last year in the play-offs, especially in overcoming the total adversity of circumstances on the day, probably eclipsed any of the successes I have ever experienced as a supporter, and I am in my mid 50s. Escaping was just so vital. Had we not gone up, there was talk of budget cuts etc, and I fear we could have become another Wrexham, so the euphoria was immeasurable and tears of joy were shed.

One  of the delights of being back in the EFL is that we are no longer in the peculiar situation of being considered "Giants", and teams come to Prenton Park not to show us any respect, but to try and win. Believe me, that is so refreshing after the Conference.

Anyway, enough of all that. Really looking forward to Saturday and all that it entails, as two proud but bruised old clubs lock horns, trade insults, and resume normal service after several years, with all the passion and shennanigans one would expect.

See you Saturday!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, welshgaz said:

Surridge the danger but is likely to start on the bench as he is coming back from his third injury already this season.

If we can keep Norwood quiet I'm confident we can get s result. I spent large parts of last season questioning how Anthony Gerrard can be so fat for a footballer. What has happened with Steve McNulty?

Ive seen Mcnulty play many times when he was at Fleetwood in non league, he reads the game well and he is a good captain constantly talking and directing everyone around him.

Mcnulty loves a physical battle and would relish playing against Miller and O’Grady but if we was to start with pace Surridge and Lang then we could run him ragged..

1 hour ago, 24424 said:

Morning Latics.

Well here we are again at last, after our non-league hiatus. I've had a read through the thread, and even the familiar bickering and insults are a pleasure to read, signalling a return to normality for us, whatever that is.

Are we rivals? Well, geographically, that's probably stretching it a bit, but over recent years, barring the last three, we have kind of shared similar histories of stagnation and slow decline, both struggling in the shadows of glamorous neighbours. Our encounters tended to be feisty and passionate, with the added spice of Ronnie Moore cranking things up even further, and certainly for me, fixtures against yourselves were always enjoyable, as in many ways, our clubs were on a par, and I think there is a begrudging respect that as fans, we have chosen to stay loyal to our roots rather than take the all too familiar big city option with our allegiances. In short, we kind of get each other, even if there is some hostility / resentment, for whatever reason.

What was the conference like compared to league 2?  Well, now we are out of there, hopefully for good, I look back with some fondness, but the reality was it was mostly a wretched but humbling experience, as we had to accept that we were playing the likes of Maidenhead, Welling or Braintree because we deserved to be at that level, as did they. Broadly, you can split the conference into 3 categories: ex-league teams fighting to regain former glories,  good honest non-league teams who have achieved 5th tier status on merit, and horrible vanity projects. Apart from the likes of Wrexham, most clubs saw us as a big fish, with their trips to Prenton Park as one of the season's highlights, so inevitably parked the bus, tried to frustrate us, took gamesmanship to a whole different level, and wanted to leave with a point in front of their 15  supporters.

When our relegation was confirmed after losing at home to Bury, whose fans were dancing on our pitch taunting us, celebrating their promotion, apart from family and personal stuff, it was probably the worst day of my life. Conversely, our promotion last year in the play-offs, especially in overcoming the total adversity of circumstances on the day, probably eclipsed any of the successes I have ever experienced as a supporter, and I am in my mid 50s. Escaping was just so vital. Had we not gone up, there was talk of budget cuts etc, and I fear we could have become another Wrexham, so the euphoria was immeasurable and tears of joy were shed.

One  of the delights of being back in the EFL is that we are no longer in the peculiar situation of being considered "Giants", and teams come to Prenton Park not to show us any respect, but to try and win. Believe me, that is so refreshing after the Conference.

Anyway, enough of all that. Really looking forward to Saturday and all that it entails, as two proud but bruised old clubs lock horns, trade insults, and resume normal service after several years, with all the passion and shennanigans one would expect.

See you Saturday!

Welcome back!

2 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Good to read these posts from Tranmere fans, really hope the idiots can hold their tongues in response.

Point of note: Abdallah could learn a lot from Tranmere’s chairman

I miss the days of proper banter/chingwag with opposition fans. Many of us are cut from the same cloth as  @24424 says .

19 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Good to read these posts from Tranmere fans, really hope the idiots can hold their tongues in response.

Point of note: Abdallah could learn a lot from Tranmere’s chairman

I can't believe all the adulation. They should've been called Scouse cunts and told to get fucked a long time ago. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 12:27 AM, oafcshuck said:

I do think on our day we can beat anyone in this league.

Given that we've not yet beaten any team above us in the league (at the time of playing them) there's zero evidence of this. Be nice to change that on Saturday tho.

On 11/20/2018 at 1:28 AM, Ryan said:

I know we’re in a different division with lower quality opposition (imo this is negated by the fact that our squad is also relatively much poorer) but I can’t help but feel that criticisms of Frank are very harsh, especially considering that our main goal threat has had such a torrid time with injuries.

I've got very little sympathy over injuries when Bunn is playing broken biscuits like Surridge & Taylor in the Check-A-Scab cup and risking an injury to someone as important to Clarke (who should be given time off for those games). Add to that bringing in the likes of Miller & Baxter who have got terrible injury records has been asking for trouble. Yes, sometimes you need a bit of luck on the injury front but Bunn doesn't strike me as a lucky manager either.

On 11/20/2018 at 10:14 AM, rudemedic said:

Plus Bunn playing for a 0-0 at Forest Green and Mansfield amongst others skews the memories slightly. 

Since Rhodes' departure we have been noticeably more attacking. But that could just be coincidence. 

The one for me that took it from disappointment to annoyance with Frankie was the Port Vale game. OG upfront alone. A meek surrender that Steve Robinson would've been proud of.

BUT.............there does seem to be a slight shift in outlook since that game though. Especially, the dropping of OG. Where I will give Bunn some grace is the fact he is slowly (very very slowly) showing signs of learning from some of his self-made mistakes. The dropping of Nepu was just bizarre early season after being one of few who looked like he might create and score. He restored Nepu in the end. As for Lang, it was blindingly obvious he needed playing as a striker but took it took the FA cup game for it to finally click with Frankie.

If he keeps up these small, but significant adjustments we will fair better for it. For an hour on Saturday we looked totally devoid of direction but then the goal sparked us into life. Plus 2 goalkeeper howlers which is the marker for League Two.

Getting back to Saturday...I'll repeat, we've yet to beat a side above us yet this season. And with a potent striker in Norwood, we will need to score a couple again on Saturday to contemplate winning I feel. Big test!

1 hour ago, longtimeblue said:

I can't believe all the adulation. They should've been called Scouse cunts and told to get fucked a long time ago. 

I suspect your post is tongue in cheek, but this is exactly where I am too! It's like people have forgotten what a horrible bunch they were simply because they've spent the last 3 years playing the likes of Guiseley and Braintree. They're a horrendous bunch. The fans' football team we played against were vile and the fans I have ever met when we've played them have been vile. We'll shit 'em...

15 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I suspect your post is tongue in cheek, but this is exactly where I am too! It's like people have forgotten what a horrible bunch they were simply because they've spent the last 3 years playing the likes of Guiseley and Braintree. They're a horrendous bunch. The fans' football team we played against were vile and the fans I have ever met when we've played them have been vile. We'll shit 'em...

Semi. 

The two lads posting seem like nice gents an all; but, like you, I'm not made keen as a rule. 

14 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Sometimes needed for effect... I'll be keeping it clean for a few weeks now. Promise.

Ha!
All took in the vein you intended, as you explained in your other post. Many were a nightmare, but the current ones seem decent enough.